Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
HPL3
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: HPL3

(03-03-2015, 11:45 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: [*]Is it too early to ask how much the game will cost?[/list]

I'm sure SOMA will be worth more money than all triple-A action games.

But will there be a DRM-free version of SOMA?
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2015, 05:49 PM by Googolplex.)
03-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(03-04-2015, 08:48 AM)Thomas Wrote: 1) Most likely not.

2) Need to mod the specular for it to look good and ent file might need changing. Otherwise most stuff should work from the get go.

3 & 4) yes Smile

Thanks for the responses Thomas, I appreciate you taking the time!

(03-04-2015, 05:43 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I'm sure SOMA will be worth more money than all triple-A action games.

Hell yeah Cool

03-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

How many gigabytes will the final game be to download? Does it fit on a single layer DVD?
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015, 06:12 PM by Googolplex.)
03-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(03-04-2015, 08:48 AM)Thomas Wrote: 1) Most likely not.

2) Need to mod the specular for it to look good and ent file might need changing. Otherwise most stuff should work from the get go.

3 & 4) yes Smile

I'm wondering, is most of the script functions in hpl2 is carried over to hpl3? If they are, do work the same as in hpl2 or they are slightly changed.
I don't suspect it to be easy or to have a real answer but is it entirely/slightly possible to export a hpl2 mod to hpl3?
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2015, 12:38 PM by Newsman Waterpaper.)
03-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I assume a wiki page will be made with them all

03-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

Threads: 13

(03-15-2015, 06:41 PM)7heDubz Wrote: I assume a wiki page will be made with them all

Agreed.

Course, speaking as an owner of both Penumbra and Amnesia, I doubt Amnesia's scripts will be completely incompatible and/or different for SOMA and HPL3. The big difference I've found between Amnesia and Penumbra, the latter being HPL1-based, where scripting is concerned is the specific name of some functions built into the engines/games; the syntax, for instance, is identical between HPL versions.

03-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Quote:I'm wondering, is most of the script functions in hpl2 is carried over to hpl3? If they are, do work the same as in hpl2 or they are slightly changed.

Just about all of them are there, but syntax is different in order to make auto-complete easier.

So for instance SetEntityActive(...) is now Entity_SetActive(...)

You could make porting really easy by just making a script file that wraps all the new functions with the old file names, eg:

SetEntityActive(string s, bool x){
Entity_SetActive(s, x);
}

And then include that on top of the script file and you got 90% of the porting done. Smile But that might make things a bit messy if you wanna update later on + take advantage of all the new stuff.

The good thing about HPL3 modding is that it is really easy for users that add new features. For instance could pretty much have a few (or even just one) script file that sets the game up in 2D platformer mode. Then that can be easily passed around and used by other people. I am hoping to see many user made helper script files that has common events, etc which makes it easy for first timers to just add stuff to a map without much knowledge.

REALLY excited to see modding, so gonna put extra effort into making it all as smooth as possible.

Quote:I assume a wiki page will be made with them all
Actually all of the basic funcs are all coded in script files. So if you wanna use entity funcs you just included "helper_entity", etc. And most of those functions are fully documented right now (hope have all by release). So no need for a wiki page. For functions defined in c++ there is a special file that lists em all (generated by exe).
03-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

(03-16-2015, 02:06 PM)Thomas Wrote:
Quote:I'm wondering, is most of the script functions in hpl2 is carried over to hpl3? If they are, do work the same as in hpl2 or they are slightly changed.

Just about all of them are there, but syntax is different in order to make auto-complete easier.

So for instance SetEntityActive(...) is now Entity_SetActive(...)

You could make porting really easy by just making a script file that wraps all the new functions with the old file names, eg:

SetEntityActive(string s, bool x){
Entity_SetActive(s, x);
}

And then include that on top of the script file and you got 90% of the porting done. Smile But that might make things a bit messy if you wanna update later on + take advantage of all the new stuff.

The good thing about HPL3 modding is that it is really easy for users that add new features. For instance could pretty much have a few (or even just one) script file that sets the game up in 2D platformer mode. Then that can be easily passed around and used by other people. I am hoping to see many user made helper script files that has common events, etc which makes it easy for first timers to just add stuff to a map without much knowledge.

REALLY excited to see modding, so gonna put extra effort into making it all as smooth as possible.

Quote:I assume a wiki page will be made with them all
Actually all of the basic funcs are all coded in script files. So if you wanna use entity funcs you just included "helper_entity", etc. And most of those functions are fully documented right now (hope have all by release). So no need for a wiki page. For functions defined in c++ there is a special file that lists em all (generated by exe).

Man, had no thoughts that this engine scripts would be this simplified. Definitely one of the easiest engines to work with today.

Derp.
03-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30

I hope that the hpl3 gives us some new castle stone walls with the editor for the modders who are looking for a more Amnesia styled custom story. That asking for too much? I'd hate to use those same old Amnesia models from way back in 2010. :\

And will we have easy tile walls like in hpl2. I hope so..

When will the editor be released? With the game's release date or later?
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2015, 06:22 PM by Koopa Rs07.)
05-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(05-29-2015, 06:10 PM)Koopa Rs07 Wrote: I hope that the hpl3 gives us some new castle stone walls with the editor for the modders who are looking for a more Amnesia styled custom story. That asking for too much? I'd hate to use those same old Amnesia models from way back in 2010. :\

And will we have easy tile walls like in hpl2. I hope so..

I don't think you will get the models shipped with the editors, allthough it is highly possible that you'll be able to convert them from Amnesia. What's the point though?
05-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Find