Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for one tester
burge4150 Offline

Threads: 15
Looking for one tester

So I'm working on my first full project custom story, and while I can test it myself I can't accurately gauge how hard or scary it is. I'm looking for one person to give it a shot.

It's not a troll jumpscare only story btw.

It's pretty vanilla, but has original levels and puzzles. I've done all the mapping and scripting myself, and while it takes me a out 10 minutes to speed run I would expect anyone else to take 30-45 minutes.

Then I would like this person to tell me what works or doesn't work to them, what was scary and what was not, etc.

There are no bugs that I know of but the story is not fully in place, what exists is a placeholder story.

Let me know if you're interested and ill link you to a Dropbox download.

Thanks for reading.
08-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Looking for one tester

(08-16-2014, 09:32 PM)burge4150 Wrote: So I'm working on my first full project custom story, and while I can test it myself I can't accurately gauge how hard or scary it is. I'm looking for one person to give it a shot.

It's not a troll jumpscare only story btw.

It's pretty vanilla, but has original levels and puzzles. I've done all the mapping and scripting myself, and while it takes me a out 10 minutes to speed run I would expect anyone else to take 30-45 minutes.

Then I would like this person to tell me what works or doesn't work to them, what was scary and what was not, etc.

There are no bugs that I know of but the story is not fully in place, what exists is a placeholder story.

Let me know if you're interested and ill link you to a Dropbox download.

Thanks for reading.

I can be your tester if you want lol.

I don't focus on the story that much, I mostly focus on the mapping and details and immersion!

If I find any bugs, glitches, crashes or anything then I will let you know.

I'm always available and have enough time to test it, so yeah Smile

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 12:40 AM by Radical Batz.)
08-17-2014, 12:38 AM
Find
burge4150 Offline

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1oc0epb6yzkvqf/Brian.zip

It's a basic custom story folder in a zip file. You know the drill to unpack it I'm assuming.

I'll post it here, leave any comments or feedback or questions here too if you have any, I'll check back tomorrow.

The maps order (so you know when you're done) Guest Hall --> East Hall --> Attic --> Library -- Exterior Walls.

The walls are not completely mapped, but you can explore what's there if you like. Some backtracking may be required. One minor bug, falling off an outdoor ledge doesn't kill you and it should. You will be stuck an a reload will be required. Play in dev mode if possible because checkpoints are not implemented.

I'm looking for feedback on: Mapping, Difficulty, and Atmosphere, if you could provide that I would be ever thankful!

Good luck and thank you!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 06:00 AM by burge4150.)
08-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Hey! Since you provided a link to the general public, I took a looksie and downloaded this. Since video is my preferred method of providing feedback, that's how I did it - unfortunately it cut out at some point in the middle (ran out of disk space on this toaster of a computer). I've got all the audio, but not all the video. I'll upload it to Youtube as a private video to link to you once it's done rendering (I haven't even started rendering).

As a brief overview here though:
- Pacing of scares was really good, pacing of story was a little slow (but you said there wouldn't be a ton of story)
- The scripted scares were awesome, you could use some improvement on general atmosphere
- Got stuck trying to open the first door in the attic; couldn't find the key/use crowbar/figure out what you wanted me to do
- Lighting needs a lot of work (I touch on that very early in the video, so you should be okay figuring stuff out from what I say)
- Level design was pretty average for this community there were a few things that didn't make sense (like the giant door at the beginning not being open-able/locked/blocked somehow since you told the player to leave that way earlier and the dead-end hallway on the left of that same room), but you didn't have anything that was super misleading
- Every room needs more detail; fog area particles in the air, billboards, light dust, static decals, spider webs, indications of the people (previously) inhabiting the area
- took me an hour and 44 minutes to get through the whole thing (the last 40 minutes of video are missing, but I have audio)
I'll send you the video link in a PM some time tomorrow or Monday (may be Monday since I have a test to study for before that).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 09:03 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
08-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(08-17-2014, 09:01 AM)Carnivorous Jellybean Wrote: Hey! Since you provided a link to the general public, I took a looksie and downloaded this. Since video is my preferred method of providing feedback, that's how I did it - unfortunately it cut out at some point in the middle (ran out of disk space on this toaster of a computer). I've got all the audio, but not all the video. I'll upload it to Youtube as a private video to link to you once it's done rendering (I haven't even started rendering).

As a brief overview here though:
- Pacing of scares was really good, pacing of story was a little slow (but you said there wouldn't be a ton of story)
- The scripted scares were awesome, you could use some improvement on general atmosphere
- Got stuck trying to open the first door in the attic; couldn't find the key/use crowbar/figure out what you wanted me to do
- Lighting needs a lot of work (I touch on that very early in the video, so you should be okay figuring stuff out from what I say)
- Level design was pretty average for this community there were a few things that didn't make sense (like the giant door at the beginning not being open-able/locked/blocked somehow since you told the player to leave that way earlier and the dead-end hallway on the left of that same room), but you didn't have anything that was super misleading
- Every room needs more detail; fog area particles in the air, billboards, light dust, static decals, spider webs, indications of the people (previously) inhabiting the area
- took me an hour and 44 minutes to get through the whole thing (the last 40 minutes of video are missing, but I have audio)
I'll send you the video link in a PM some time tomorrow or Monday (may be Monday since I have a test to study for before that).

Oh you already tested it? awww Sad, Well i woke up too darn late, nvm!

I still can download it anyway Smile

08-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Find
burge4150 Offline

The attic has another solution. If you're stuck there you've missed the best part!

Hint
Spoiler below!
Try a more vertical approach.

Answer
Spoiler below!
stack some boxes and climb into the rafters and out the window. I wanted the player to initially wonder "am I supposed to do it this way?".

And thanks for the feedback. I was worried about people getting stuck in the attic.

The guest hall is unfinished mapping-wise, it's going to serve as a hub, thus the dead ends that exist now. They'll all be occupied if all goes according to plan.

As far as detail: I do know I need to add things on top of desks and tables, etc. I tend to save these things for last in games that I make, because it's what really "completes" a level. Aside from that though, you've touched on everything I wanted and I'm excited to watch the video.

Detail to come also!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 01:59 PM by burge4150.)
08-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

@Burge
Spoiler below!

I did climb up on the beams, actually. Most of the windows were the same broken texture throughout the entire mod (none of the earlier ones were breakable) so I assumed that those ones wouldn't break either. This is part of what I mean with level design. Even when the player's super confused, you want them to have a bit of an idea as to what they could do. I would suggest having the ghost/entity break the window for us (set a timer on it to let the player attempt to figure it out first - maybe about five minutes?). What I'm suggesting is making your mod "idiot proof" :p

(08-17-2014, 10:15 AM)Dr.Badcat Wrote: Oh you already tested it? awww :(, Well i woke up too darn late, nvm!

I still can download it anyway :)

Two testers are better than one! I may have missed something or focussed on completely different aspects than what you'd catch on to.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
08-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Find
burge4150 Offline

That's a really good idea and a good solution, and exactly why I wanted people to check it out!

Spoiler below!
I was thinking about doing the timer thing, and I also think I'll make all the windows in the mod breakable, but the player will have to be cautious about which ones he jumps out of ;-)

If you decide to continue, I'm curious how you'll find the next section's puzzle to be.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 02:53 PM by burge4150.)
08-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105

i like the custom story. but there a a few bad points...
some decoration are not on (table) ground... but 0.25 (scale) on air..
but i like it! but it qwas a little bit easy i finished it in 20 min Big Grin because i played too much amnesia (custom stories) so i know every *secret* key places that someone hides Big Grin and the glass... i knew it was breakable... so i dropped one of these sacks and beng Big Grin but you must do the scripting of after using a key or something others... it will Go from you're inventory.... and ... the story was very good Big Grin I liked it!
08-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Find
burge4150 Offline

(08-17-2014, 03:00 PM)Amnesiaplayer Wrote: i like the custom story. but there a a few bad points...
some decoration are not on (table) ground... but 0.25 (scale) on air..
but i like it! but it qwas a little bit easy i finished it in 20 min because i played too much amnesia (custom stories) so i know every *secret* key places that someone hides Big Grin and the glass... i knew it was breakable... so i dropped one of these sacks and beng Big Grin but you must do the scripting of after using a key or something others... it will Go from you're inventory.... and ... the story was very good Big Grin I liked it!

Thanks for checking it out, I'll take a look around for the floating objects and get those fixed. And yeah, I'll absolutely remove the keys in the final game. I wanted to keep them in now for testing purposes / reloading maps and having doors re-lock but being able to keep keys in inventory, etc Big Grin

Spoiler below!
The Library Fireplace Key was easy for you to find also? I was worried people wouldn't know where to get water
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 03:04 PM by burge4150.)
08-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Find