Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

Two more stuff from my old archives. These two were drawn as a birthday present to one of my friends who really likes birds.

Secretary Bird

Spoiler below!

[Image: burdedited.png]

Made with color pencils.

Secretary Bird #2
Spoiler below!

[Image: blackbirdu.png]

Made with pencils

Stay tuned, because the next drawing that will be going up here from me is going to be the Grunt. I know it says non-related to Amnesia, but hey it's still good art. Plus it's going to be the first drawing I've drawn in over a year, so might work, might fail.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Man - I just noticed, that second Bird looks exactly like that history teacher I had in 10th grade... the facial expression, the hairdo - it's totally her! o.O

Ok, seriously now, I really like your style. Many people (like me ^^) depend on having strongly visible outlines all the time but you're able to get all the detail from subtle shading and the pencil strokes themselves and I love that.
I wish I could still do stuff in traditional medium, but alas I've been completely spoiled by 3D software and photoshop Big Grin
09-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(09-08-2012, 03:38 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Many people (like me ^^) depend on having strongly visible outlines all the time
You mean a bit like this?

Spoiler below!

Mirrors

[Image: pic10shrunk.png]

Done with acrylic colors

Yeah, unless you're going for super realism, heavily defined lines can really help make your work overall feel more complete. I wouldn't say it's a bad tactic, it really helps Smile

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012, 04:11 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Yeah, well in that case its intentional because of the style of course. ^^ (Same goes for comic illustrations, Art Nouveau etc.) But if the picture is supposed to be realistic, I feel it looks a bit more professional if the artist doesn't need strong outlines. If only it wasn't so hard without them! >.<
09-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(09-08-2012, 04:43 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: But if the picture is supposed to be realistic, I feel it looks a bit more professional if the artist doesn't need strong outlines. If only it wasn't so hard without them! >.<
A general rule in drawing which is good to remember when drawing a a realistic style is that no object in existence has solid black lines. This is very important, more than most people might know. All things in real life which "appear" to be solid lines are actually an illusion due to shading contrast. If you ever feel the need to employ "lines", achieve it through the use of increasing, or deteriorating shading instead of drawing a solid black line there by itself.

You know what? After I just gave that little speech I'm feeling like giving the forums a simple art lesson thread on how I do my drawings step-by-step haha.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Anymore people got some stuff?

I just finished this today =]
Spoiler below!

[Image: beretta_m9___low_poly_by_statyk94-d5fyipv.png]

After it's UV mapped and textured, I'll be posting it on Turbosquid.com for free.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM by Statyk.)
09-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

I don't know much about guns so I can't offer criticism/comments on the shape, but mostly I think this looks really awesome!

Looking forward to seeing it textured! =]

Image by BandyGrass
09-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Still a loong way to go on this one..

[Image: uNU3V.png]

If you're unsure of what I'm trying to make listen to the first quote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vL9lS-1Vgg

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2012, 04:06 AM by Acies.)
09-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

There's nothing really interesting. But if you know that it was a contest, kinda competition, than it's OK to show. The rules were simple: 8 hours on everything on every model (modeling and UV unwrapping); classical low-poly (not
made from a high-poly); maximum 2.500 triangles and simultaneously maximum modeled-details (I mean not
painted on a diffuse or made with normals). As for UV unwrapping: no texture stretchings and no problems with pixel ratio. We made 4 models and than decided to stop contest. So here what came out, those 4 models: http://gamebanana.com/members/submission...ls/1224286

P.S. It was NOT a banana contest, if this matters. It's only uploaded there.

P.P.S. Oh and by the way today I've made my first new model for HPL2. I mean I've made a model (easy one), made a diffuse from a photo and normals and finally made a fully-working entity. There's nothing special, just a new wooden box, but when I grabbed it in my hands ingame and throw it at a wall, I was happy as a child. You know, it's quite hard at the beginning to get used to new engine. So it's kinda a happy day today for me personally Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012, 11:27 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Finally got around to updating my portfolio. Finished these pieces a while ago but didn't upload them until now...
Spoiler below!
[Image: 940x528.jpeg] [Image: 940x600.jpeg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: 940x943.jpeg] [Image: 940x773.jpeg]
Character is not rendered, I just made a screenshot with Xoliul viewport shader for 3ds Max. (That's why there are no shadows) He's exactly 13.000 tris - so yeah, not exactly the type of model you'd throw into HPL, more fitting for UDK maybe. ^^
11-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Find