Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FC - Can't save custom static objects in level
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
FC - Can't save custom static objects in level

I've moved a wall from Machine for Pigs over into my custom stories folder, but for some reason, I can't get it to save in the level.

For example, I am trying to use "streets_buildings_type3_groundfloor_door_open.dae". I have that, and the associated .MSH file, as well as all the associated .MAT files:
streets_generic_buildings_brick_stock
streets_generic_buildings_ground
streets_generic_buildings_plaster
streets_generic_buildings_attachments
streets_generic_stone_arch
streets_generic_buildings_windows
And all THEIR associated .DDS files. I have all of that moved into my Full Convesion's folder.

I the Level Editor, I put in a random static object and change its path to the custom wall. It loads in the Level Editor just fine, and I can see it and everything. But when I close the Level Editor and then open it up and reload my map, it's gone, and it says "file index out of bounds."

Can anyone help me with this?

09-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: FC - Can't save custom static objects in level

Do you have the mod's resources.cfg file properly set up to access it? Why are you moving the files into your mod at this stage rather than keeping it in /static_objects so that they will work with the editors?

I like to restart the game whenever I do a lot of model changes. It might not be necessary but I feel like it might affect some things. PS: You're supposed to delete AMFP's .msh files if you wanna use them in TDD. You do have the patch, right?

09-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Find
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118

Yep, I have resources.cfg set up to handle it. I wanted to move them right into the mod folder because Level Editor kept automatically changing the paths. For example, if I had a copy in my FC folder AND a copy in the static_objects folder it kept automatically switching it to the latter whenever I loaded the map in Level Editor. I got rid of everything except the copy in the FC folder itself and now it won't work at all.

Besides, shouldn't it work with a copy only in the FC folder since that's how the players will be playing it?

And no I don't have a patch, I thought it was never released? I used MFP static_objects for my previous Custom Story and didn't have this problem.

09-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34

I never used the patch. Some of the entities from AMFP work without the 1.3 patch, (with or without deleting some of the .msh files), which I thought was only currently at a testing stage right now.

In the each of the Amnesia Entity and Static_Objects folders, I have a folder by the name of "mod" which contains all my custom items. In my Mod's main folder, I have an Entity folder and a Static_Object folder, which also have folders called "mod" that contain, once again, the custom items that I'm using.

I've had it like that since the beginning in order to avoid problems with the level editor. I've only ever had one problem since with a clock that wasn't even custom, it was from the game itself so I have no idea what was wrong with it, haha.

As far as I'm aware, the level editor can't really work with files outside of the folders built into it, so referencing an Entity outside of the usual Entity folder would cause the editor to be unable to find it the next time, thus giving you the "file index out of bounds" message.

For now, I think you should try and keep a copy of everything in both your custom story folder/mod folder and in the Amnesia resource files. It's simply for level editing purposes, so as long as your resource .cfg is set up for indexing files in other places, it shouldn't be a problem for you actually playing the game.

09-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Hey guys.
About the path's issue, it bothers me too, the editors change the paths all the time, but it's because they found it there first. If it had found the file on your FC dir, it would use that path.

I think your prob here is your resources.cfg, LE uses the one in your game's dir. And when you moved the files to your FC dir, LE couldn't find them anymore.
If this is the case, you just need to include your FC dir in your game's resources.cfg

Or send me/us that street_building model, I can test it here if you want.

09-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I do it pretty much like Missy up there, I keep my custom entities within a "custom" folder in my main entities folder. I create the entities and static_objects folders in my FC but I don't really use them yet. I keep a copy only in the main entities folder to avoid duplicates. Once I'm done, I just copy it over to the FC mod's entities.

The level editor is dependent on the main resources.cfg to function. The game is not when you start a mod. That's the difference.

09-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

(09-18-2014, 07:09 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I do it pretty much like Missy up there, I keep my custom entities within a "custom" folder in my main entities folder. I create the entities and static_objects folders in my FC but I don't really use them yet. I keep a copy only in the main entities folder to avoid duplicates. Once I'm done, I just copy it over to the FC mod's entities.

The level editor is dependent on the main resources.cfg to function. The game is not when you start a mod. That's the difference.

[Image: zpjhojL.gif]

Missy? LOL

09-18-2014, 07:40 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I tend to call people differently sometimes xP
Hope you don't mind.

It's kinda like "Miss What-should-I-call-ya," so I just called you Missy, heh.

09-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

(09-18-2014, 07:46 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I tend to call people differently sometimes xP
Hope you don't mind.

It's kinda like "Miss What-should-I-call-ya," so I just called you Missy, heh.

Super off topic for the thread, so I apologize in advance for it, haha.

I don't mind, I just thought it was an amusing opportunity.

09-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Find