Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Amnesia: Chromanin [FULL RELEASE]
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Amnesia: Chromanin

So, to summarize: I could use smth and credit it, which may get troublesome, but doesn't have to.
Did I get it right ?

I used 3 tracks so far: Music from 2001's game Gothic, 2007's the Witcher, and Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra (the Oddyssey theme, this one may be easily deleted though). Also I wanted to include a song from Inception soundtrack, but I can see it's out of question.
The reason I wrote dates is I think that nobody would complain about old copyrights... Not that I'm into piracy. But these tracks really make the atmosphere. The maps, in which those songs are used, are based on the music. Removing them would really destroy the entire feel.

The problem with CC music is that I don't know it very well, and I have to dig through whole libraries, which makes it hard to chose a proper track...

So, give me some advice ? :S

PS.
Quote: There are a lot of factors, just make sure that whatever you use, you're following copyrights. If you need help recognising the use of something, feel free to PM myself and I'll take a look for you, if the copyright on something seems unclear.
Where should I look for the copyrights ? You seem to know that topic quite well.

PPS. Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreaciate it !

10-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(10-25-2014, 01:14 PM)Darkfire Wrote: So, to summarize: I could use smth and credit it, which may get troublesome, but doesn't have to.
Did I get it right ?

I used 3 tracks so far: Music from 2001's game Gothic, 2007's the Witcher, and Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra (the Oddyssey theme, this one may be easily deleted though). Also I wanted to include a song from Inception soundtrack, but I can see it's out of question.
The reason I wrote dates is I think that nobody would complain about old copyrights... Not that I'm into piracy. But these tracks really make the atmosphere. The maps, in which those songs are used, are based on the music. Removing them would really destroy the entire feel.

The problem with CC music is that I don't know it very well, and I have to dig through whole libraries, which makes it hard to chose a proper track...

So, give me some advice ? :S

PS.
Quote: There are a lot of factors, just make sure that whatever you use, you're following copyrights. If you need help recognising the use of something, feel free to PM myself and I'll take a look for you, if the copyright on something seems unclear.
Where should I look for the copyrights ? You seem to know that topic quite well.

PPS. Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreaciate it !

Gothic
Spoiler below!
Looking over Gothic's poorly designed main page, I could not find much about the actual copyrights in game. However, it is released on Digital media, which prevents the use of ripping music for other use.

Witcher
Spoiler below!
Uses Miles Sound System. Copyright © 1991-2008 by RAD Game Tools, Inc. Portions of this software utilize SpeedTree technology. © 2001-2004 Interactive Data Visualization, Inc. All rights reserved.

Miles Sound System is responsible for the music produced in The Witcher - which is protected under Copyright.

Also Sprach Zarathustra (Strauss)
Spoiler below!

The poem can be used if you are to release after the work is in the public domain (at the time of posting, it was/is), you provide your own media for broadcast (you have to make background music, if any) and must credit Richard Strauss for inspiration.

The poem used in this case was made in 1893. Not many Copyright Acts existed at the time, but Intellectual Property was a big concern. Doing some research, Richard Strauss, the creator of the Poem, died in 1949. Under the US Law, his Poem would fall under the Copyright Acts imposed in 1909, which would mean his property was his up until 56 years after his death, then it became a part of the Public Domain. 56 years would put it at 2005, which gives the okay.

The issue here is that I am using US Copyright Laws - which may differ to German ones. You should research elder copyrights if you wish to continue here.

You cannot use any media involving the Poem in A Space Odyssey however, because it falls under a media copyright.

Creative Commons works are actually pretty good if you can find some things of benefit on them. Despite the searching required to find specific pieces of music or artwork which you specifically require, if you strike gold and are able to use such work responsibly, you can make something much different to what the other movies and video games' works you are using.

From my personal perspective, I wouldn't go about using any of the music you have specified, not just out of the law, but also because if I am wrong, you're likely to face some form of prosecution.

Another issue is that any work which violates copyright cannot be shared here. I do not know if the same applies for places such as moddb, but I guess it may greatly impact not just the reputation of your mod but also for yourself.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2014, 04:36 PM by Romulator.)
10-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Sh*t. I'm really sad to hear that. I think I'm gonna throw these out then, just to be safe. It's a pity though.

Actually, are we speaking about using a song and NOT crediting it, or crediting it ?
And I don't have any money from using those, so...

(I'm just sad, because that music really fitted well into my CS...)

10-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Your screenies look prommising and you can be a nice level designer, so I'd love to help you out with making your skills even better, if you want to you can add me on skype.

I'm from Poland as well Tongue
10-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Hey !

As we talked before, there would be problems with using copyright music. Therefore I'm gonna use CC and compose smth myself. I actually already did, here's one of the tracks:

the Underworld

Opinions ? Also, noone replied regarding the logo posted somewhere up, I'd be glad to hear what you think about it.

@ Lazzer: I would really enjoy your help, though there will be some problems with organisation. I work rarely, as I don't have too much time during the week. Oh, and what kind of help do you mean ?

11-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Have you been working with music before? This does not sound like a first timer. It's pretty good, and used in the right scenario can be very effective. Nice work!

11-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Thanks. That's the second track I've composed in my life. I did another one two days ago.
I have been playing guitar for about 4 years now, but I have always covered others' music. Inventing smth myself is new to me ;P

11-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

BUMP! Unfortunately, I haven't made anything that I can show you guys. Every thingy I've been working on contains spoilers ;(

Current version: Alpha 1.10.85

11-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Hey, hey, hey. Guess who's back ! Well I kinda got enthusiastic about my project after playing Machine for pigs for some, so I finally came back to this CS. Current version has 10 levels. Amongst these 10 there are 3 outdoor maps, and 3 big maps.

I also want to make a (kinda) big announcement:Cryo Chamber let me use some of their music for this mod! This makes me happy, as there's a lot of quazi-ambient music on the CC sites. I also picked a few from them, and some from YouTube music library (it's pretty much CC too).
Also, I'm gonna be recording some more tracks of my own. I have quite a few ideas, and I bought a bow for my guitar
Spoiler below!

... which will help me to make some badass sounds. Unfortunately, I don't have much to show to you yet, as for previous months I have been settling in in a new school, and learning new musical stuff rather then recording songs (I've picked up singing, and got a pair of bongos to play around. Also the bow which I spoke about).

And, as we're speaking of producing sounds from mouth... A thing about voiceacting: If I turn out to be a decent actor, I will probably voice the main character- which is about 70% of the job. If not, I will look for more voiceactors - I need at least one, for the (male) antagonist. Most likely I'll find someone from this forum (SAY IF YOU WANT TO VOICEACT IN THIS CS) or ask some of my friends. If all this fails, I'll have to delete this part of Custom Story and make it notes-only.

Unfortunately, the voiceacting must be done at the very end of the project - to be sure all the text and story is 100% confirmed, and no changes need to be made.
Oh gosh, what a long journey awaits me.

02-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Check out the voice acting alliance forums they're pretty great about helping out!

Also I love the guitar with a bow, it sounds really.... I dunno how to describe it but I like it

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
02-27-2015, 01:08 AM
Find