Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your dumbest mistake
burge4150 Offline

Threads: 15
Tongue  Your dumbest mistake

We've all done facepalm things. Let's share. I'll go first:

When I edit, I usually make the whole map, then go back later and start scripting it. On one occasion I opened my map, added the areas I needed and went right into scripting.

I worked for probably 2 hours. I tried to script the whole thing in one shot, just to see if I could do it. 700 or so lines of script later I compiled, got 0 errors (holy smokes!) and loaded up the map to test it.

Nothing worked. Like... nothing.

Went back to scripting, made tweaks, loaded again: Nothing.

Spent another hour staring at script, looking at my Area names to make sure they matched, more script tweaks, more shaking my head.

Then it hit me:

I never saved the map with the newly added Areas in HPL.
Angry
09-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Your dumbest mistake

Oh, I got a good one.

When I was still a novice in HPL2 Modding, I added a bunch of areas and an equal amount of AddEntityCollideCallback functions to make them work. They work in like sounds and 1 area in particular doesn't make the sound.

Every time I went through the area, it's just silence. A crying sound should of been heard. I was like numb for weeks. And then I noticed the error:

THE NAMES DOESN'T MATCH. The name in the script is "AreaSound_1" but the name in the level editor is "AreaSound1".

So yeah, I was enraged and confused for a few weeks just because I forgot to add a goddamn underscore.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Find
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

My dumbest thing?

DAMN! It was a massive dumbest mistake i did!

I constantly change my cs and changed the name and acted like a lazy asshole doing nothing! JUST NOTHING!

And my map experience is still low. I was suck a idiot in the past, i was never thinking twice and i keep cancelling my custom story and then continue it!

My brain is just a piece of shit, that's why.

I have now finnaly thinked twice and i am working on my cs again.

I am not gonna talk about it further. Ill never gonna do this shitty mistake again.

09-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

My first map.

Dat pure white boxlight tho.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

First time I tried making an unlock-door-with-key script Iput all of the doors in the same function. So when I used the key on one door all of the other ones unlocked as well. Being a novice (still am IMO), I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
09-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I began to do lots of changes to my script, I began to do lots of changes to my map, etc. I were like 5 hours like "wtf, why doesn't anything change". Then I realised, I hadn't saved...

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
09-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I went on creating a script containing 1200+ lines.

Then went to change something. Meaning, I had to change the same thing all over the whole thing.

Then figuring out that it might be a good idea to optimize it all... God I spent a lot of time on it...

Might not be my dumbest mistake, but it's at least one of the things that took me some time...

Trying is the first step to success.
09-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

All of these.

The most common mistake I make is usually just a simple typo, or like Mendelssohn said, referencing "Something1" instead of "Something_1" and spending hooooooours testing and debugging, trying different approaches, wondering if it's an engine bug, asking my wife, pulling out my hair, then finally isolating each block of code and narrowing it down to some stoopid, pitiful, minor typo.

Here's a non-scripting one that I can't undo:
In The Trapdoor, most of Burke's voice-over was recorded in one sitting, with another a few weeks later for some extra lines and do-overs. The first time around, I recorded it all at my normal voice pitch (with an accent) and then digitally lowered the pitch by one semi-tone. The second time around I listened to the previous recordings, to make sure the pitch and accent matched. Only I didn't listen to the original recordings, I listened to the pitch-lowered ones, copied them with my voice and then lowered them again. The result is that there are points in the game where Burke's voice suddenly drops or lifts by a semi-tone, which is quite a noticeable difference. For example in the cutscene/flashback "Whatever this treasure is I feel it calling to me. |pitchshift!| I long to feel the blah blah blah". I like to watch Let's Plays of my mods, as a learning experience, and this makes me cringe every time I hear it.

09-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Find
Straxedix Offline

Threads: 52

Yesterday i did one (yeah i am new so i keep doing them more and more xD) i was adding areas and scripts i saved them all but later when i test it no error appears nothing but it doesn't work...I was like da fucq ? I checked the map everything was there,checked the script everything was okay...After that i noticed that i worked on map in wrong folder so i got 2 maps almost the same... :D

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014, 01:46 PM by Straxedix.)
09-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

I've got a few of these...
1. Putting comas instead of ; in for loops:
2. Over-saving the original entities, causing game to crash
3. Using box light (really though, is it possible to use that shit without strange drawbacks ?!)
4. Begining my story with "you wake up in unknown place, not remember anything" - sounds familiar ?

09-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Find