Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Steam version crashes in Snowy Valley
vivicidal Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Steam version crashes in Snowy Valley

I just bought Penumbra: Overture from Steam. I tried the demo a few months ago and liked the game so I finally decided to buy it, but now the game works until I leave the ship and get to the snowy valley. I see the snow for a few seconds and as the screen gets brighter, the whole game crashes.
I get an error talking about ntdll.dll, and the whole game is closed. I am so dissappointed - I've bought the game and now I get less far than I got on the demo a few months ago!

I am running Vista with a core 2 duo E7200, Nvidia 8600GT, 2GB RAM, MSI P35 Neo-F etc etc, and my graphics drivers are up to date.

I verified my files on Steam, but the issure hasn't gone away. Any ideas will be gratefully received.
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Steam version crashes in Snowy Valley

It seems like there is some strangeness when saving. Check "My Documents" and see if there is a "Penumbra Overture" folder.

If not there is some problem with the writing to "My Documents" and you need to change access-rights.
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Find
vivicidal Offline

(04-06-2009, 11:00 PM)Thomas Wrote: It seems like there is some strangeness when saving. Check "My Documents" and see if there is a "Penumbra Overture" folder.

If not there is some problem with the writing to "My Documents" and you need to change access-rights.

The "Penumbra Overture" doesn't exist. I run Steam as admin, so what else can I do?
04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Check the Penumbra exe too. And also check the My Documents folder.

I do not have Vista myself though, but hopefully someone who has can answer soon if u do not figure it out yourself.
04-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Find
vivicidal Offline

(04-06-2009, 11:07 PM)Thomas Wrote: Check the Penumbra exe too. And also check the My Documents folder.

I do not have Vista myself though, but hopefully someone who has can answer soon if u do not figure it out yourself.

The folder "Penumbra Overture" exists on my C drive and just contains afolder called "Episode1", which contains hpl.log, hpl_update.log and settings.cfg. I'm not sure if that's what you are talking about, but it deffinately doesnt exists in "My Documents". Are the folders different because it is the Steam version?

EDIT:
I found the Penumbra Overture EXE in my steam folder and ran it as admin, but I had the same issues as before.

I am running Steam and the penumbra exe as admin, it looks like you're right about it crashing when it tries to save. Is there a way for me to change where autosaves are saved to? It might be because my "My Documents" is in a different partition to my boot drive (which has penumbra installed on it). I have looked through all the config files and I can't find an entry for the default save path, I am hoping finding a way to change this will solve my issue.
04-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Find
vivicidal Offline

I just tried Black Plague and the same thing happens - as soon as it comes to autosaving, the games crashes.
04-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Sorry for lack of replies, but I have checked with some Vista users, but have not been able to get any good inforamtion I mafraid. I would advise to check with some other forum and see if some Vista-pros can help.
04-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Find
vivicidal Offline

I am concerned that the issue is not with the game, but with my computer... I really want to play the game(s) but they just won't work - it's a shame that I can't get them to work, but I've tried everything.

Thanks for your help.
04-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Find
vivicidal Offline

OK, one of my earlier suspicions was confirmed. The fact that My Documents of my PC were mounted on a different partition to the game meant it crashed on auto save, however I have moved My Documents back and game game runs well.

Thanks for your help, my problem is solved.
06-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Find