Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions I'm too lazy to test
burge4150 Offline

Threads: 15
Questions I'm too lazy to test

A few things:

1.) Are there such things as areas that are "too big and wide open"? Not talking about a game play point of view, I'm talking engine / HPL2 limitations.

2.) What happens if the player falls into water that is over his head?

3.) Can the player be thrown THROUGH walls or solid objects with AddPlayerBodyForce? Is it a know issue? I was testing my story and I got thrown through a wall and out of the map. I'm not using an absurd number, just a friendly (terrifying) nudge from a hidden entity. I have not been able to re-create the issue despite multiple tries. Was it a fluke?
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 05:26 AM by burge4150.)
10-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Questions I'm too lazy to test

(10-03-2014, 05:25 AM)burge4150 Wrote: A few things:

1.) Are there such things as areas that are "too big and wide open"? Not talking about a game play point of view, I'm talking engine / HPL2 limitations.

If you mean dimensions within the capabilities of the Level Editor, yes there is. I don't know the exact number however. You sometimes get an error in the hpl.log file of an object of exceedingly far distance away from 0,0,0, something along the lines of 'out of bounds' (not to be confused with File Index Out Of Bounds, which is a Resources.cfg error).

(10-03-2014, 05:25 AM)burge4150 Wrote: 2.) What happens if the player falls into water that is over his head?

Essentially nothing unless you script it. In this video, all I did was AddPlayerBodyForce every few seconds and put a block box somewhere below the player's feet to stop them from 'walking' underwater. A low quality movement and use though - was just a test.

Spoiler below!

Acies did a far better representation and usage of underwater use in HPL2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPFq8QBi...e=youtu.be

(10-03-2014, 05:25 AM)burge4150 Wrote: 3.) Can the player be thrown THROUGH walls or solid objects with AddPlayerBodyForce? Is it a know issue? I was testing my story and I got thrown through a wall and out of the map. I'm not using an absurd number, just a friendly (terrifying) nudge from a hidden entity. I have not been able to re-create the issue despite multiple tries. Was it a fluke?

Quite possible indeed. You could have had a collision error with your hidden entity as well which caused you to experience a violent force of such which is enough to push you through something. It is essentially easier to fall through a plane than a Static Object or model however. If it occurred and you're unable to replicate it, I would assume it as a fluke or slight error with where your character or entity was located.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 05:44 AM by Romulator.)
10-03-2014, 05:40 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Questions I'm too lazy to test

(10-03-2014, 05:40 AM)Romulator Wrote:
(10-03-2014, 05:25 AM)burge4150 Wrote: 3.) Can the player be thrown THROUGH walls or solid objects with AddPlayerBodyForce? Is it a know issue? I was testing my story and I got thrown through a wall and out of the map. I'm not using an absurd number, just a friendly (terrifying) nudge from a hidden entity. I have not been able to re-create the issue despite multiple tries. Was it a fluke?

Quite possible indeed. You could have had a collision error with your hidden entity as well which caused you to experience a violent force of such which is enough to push you through something. It is essentially easier to fall through a plane than a Static Object or model however. If it occurred and you're unable to replicate it, I would assume it as a fluke or slight error with where your character or entity was located.

It's usually to do with the speed the player is moving. If the player has been flung too fast, then the wall has passed before the engine has time to realise there's been a collision. Three ways around this: (1) carefully tweak the force you apply, if you can; (2) apply a second force in the opposite direction to slow the player down just before the hit the wall; (3) use a "layered" wall, by which I mean have 3 or 4 wall objects or planes something like 0.05 units apart. Because they are multiple, the engine will notice a collision with one of them, but they are close enough together so that the player won't get embedded in them. I used this technique in The Trapdoor, when it was pretty much 50/50 whether the player would fly through a particular wall.

10-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Find