Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2009-05 Monday 18th, Unknown - Status update
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
2009-05 Monday 18th, Unknown - Status update

Helsingborg, Sweden - May 18, 2009

After over a year of technology development and prototyping we are finally at the tipping point as ideas comes to life on the screen in front of us. With our very first early version of "Unknown" ready, we are more confident than ever that we are on the right track as to what will become a great horror game. With the previous award winning Penumbra series to live up to we have been working hard on coming up with a concept that improves the already winning formula - horror without violence. With "Unknown" we have started from the very beginning - creating a new game engine, development tools, re-thinking and improving the physics interaction, evaluated every little part of Penumbra as to figure out the best way to create the experience.

"Unknown" is a first person survival horror game set in the 18th century. The player is caught in the middle of the unknown as he explores an old castle, dating back as far as the 14th century. With a "hands-on" physics interaction system the player can examine objects and control his surroundings in a way that is unique to the games developed by Frictional Games, for example it's possible to slowly drag drawers open to examine the inside in search for clues. To be careful is a must as the sanity of the player could quickly falter if inhabitants of the castle were to take notice of him. Different parts of the castle has widely different architecture, reflecting the centuries that has passed since the castle was initially built. Today's two screens, gives a peak of a more modern part of the castle as well as the older and decaying part of it.

At this stage of development we are confident that we can successfully demonstrate the final game and as such we send out a call to all interested publishers to contact us for their potential and welcome participation in taking this horror experience to the next level. Please visit our website for more information and to contact us through our contact page.

Screens
unknown unknown

Frictional Games
A small studio located in the south of Sweden, developing unique technologies to power their creative game ideas. Currently with a crew of four in-house, with a network of contractors to utilize during production, enables the company to be dynamic and efficient.
http://www.frictionalgames.com

Nordic Game Program
"Unknown" has received a 300 000 DKK support funding from the Nordic Game Program. To learn more about Nordic Game Program, visit http://www.nordicgameprogram.org

Penumbra Series
Survival horror game with a unique physics interaction and a dense atmosphere, creating one of the few truly horrifying experiences available on Windows, Mac & Linux. The Penumbra Series Website.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM by jens.)
05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: 2009-05 Monday 18th, Unknown - Status update

Oooh, Nice update. This means that you are pretty much ready to start creating the actuall game? Yay! =D

Very nice screen too! Smile

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Find
MisterJim Offline

Threads: 0

Nice looking screenshots!

Interesting that you mention sanity while describing the game... are you guys adding sanity effects like in Call of Cthulhu DCotE? Now that I think about it, this game sure seems more Lovecraft inspired than Penumbra. And that is a good thing Big Grin:

Good luck, hope you get a nice deal with a good publisher!
05-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Find
undeadbydawn Offline

Which reminds me: I really must complete Requiem. Those shots, and preview video, look utterly gorgeous. I can only imagine what you guys will be capable of in a few years time. You already put many high profile studios to shame.
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Find
Guyra Offline

Threads: 2

Ooh yeah, that looks sweet! Big Grin I'm really looking forward to this game! Big Grin
05-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

Very nice screenshots!
05-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Find
MadSkeetElite Offline

Oh boy I can't wait! Penumbra was an amazing achievement, having great graphics and amazingly fun puzzles, and this sounds like it will improve on those achievements (is that EVEN possible?). Don't give up on making this game like most developers do, because I'm sure a LOT of us are looking forward to it. Good luck!
05-19-2009, 02:54 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Now shadows in the first picture? =[

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Maybe the ambience lighting is too high for shadows to be seen?

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
05-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Is that the final graphics of the game?

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM by Ano.)
05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Website Find