Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can a racing game be scary? [Discussion about scary non-horror games]
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Can a racing game be scary? [Discussion about scary non-horror games]

Yes, it can!

I always wanted to discuss about scary non-horror games. 2001 I started playing some racing games in my childhood (NFS: Porsche) and I got scared by some locations in dirty dark industrial zones with rusty old steam pipes and broken windows. I totally enjoyed that atmosphere of sounds, music, and design!
I continued playing some RPGs (Gothic) and adventures (Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine), where I always got massively scared in the dungeons and temple ruins. That shows me that typical horror game elements like immersion and atmosphere are also present in other genres.

Yesterday a new trailer of Project CARS was released for halloween to give a look into the scary challenge of hardcore racing. And I am really excited for this game.

What are your experiences with scary non-horror games?
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2014, 03:42 PM by Googolplex.)
10-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: Can a racing game be scary? [Discussion about scary non-horror games]

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing was one horror for sure, not to mention Taxi Racer.
10-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

Depends what you call scary. To me, horror is a insidious feeling of dread that subtly gets under your skin. I'd say the Project CARS trailer is moody and dramatic, not scary.

Some FPSs can be scary, but usually when they're deliberately using horror techniques. The Half-Life franchise is a good example. Doom 3 and Dead Space had a good try, but I find that they rely too much on jumpscares, rather than horror.

Thanks for reminding me about the Indiana Jones 3d action games! Emperor's Tomb was my favourite.

10-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

With scary I mean the impact of a game. Some games are very special in atmosphere and design to create an unique feeling that sometimes can be scary.
10-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Find
MrWhitticus Offline

Threads: 9

Man, Valve is great with this kinda thing

(10-25-2014, 06:05 PM)MrBehemoth Wrote: The Half-Life franchise is a good example.

True thing plus if you really dig deep with the Portal series there's some pretty creepy 'sleepless-night-inducing' stuff that goes on behind the scenes, such as the 'You can hear Ratman screaming behind walls' theories.

Also consider 'Off by Mortis Ghost' for Creepy Non-Horror of the Year Award
[Image: dora_off_2.png]

*Careless Whisper saxophone solo*
10-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Website Find
DartVader Offline

Threads: 0

In the distant past))) when playing Volfenstein and when any of the land climbs skeletons jumps from the monitor. That was scary))
10-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Website Find