Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with thumbnails
ThornySnail Offline

Threads: 3
Problem with thumbnails

Hey guys.

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but here goes:

I have a problem with my thumbnails in the HPL editor - the thumbnails on all entities or static objects are corrupt to the core and it's extremely irritating and almost impossible to work efficiently not being able to see these.

Here is what I'm talking about.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2utmdeo.png

Also these corrupt thumbnails are stored in My Documents folder in my user profile, here's a screenie.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ex7zep.png

Things I've already tried to do:

Reinstalling the HPL editor, about 5 times.

Checking for cache integrity in Steam, 2 times

Deleting the game completely and redownloading it 3 times. This has only made the problem worse - before half of thumbnails were corrupt, now absolutely everything.

Deleted all saves, all custom stories, EVERYTHING related to Amnesia besides my own .hps scripts which are backed up.

Deleted the aforementioned Thumbnail folder and the whole HPL2 folder from my documents.

Updated my graphic's card drivers.

Changed from Quality to Performance in Nvidia settings and back.

Ran as admin.

Combatibility with XP SP3 and 2.

I'm running Win7 64 bit and have a Steam copy. All up to date.

This has started happening only a couple of days ago and I'm unsure if it's related in any way to the 1.3 update, but probably yes.

Plz i needz halp!!!11!
12-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Problem with thumbnails

Hmm, if the problem only got worse by doing what you've done, maybe this is an issue with the 1.3 update and only happens to newly generated thumbail images. Maybe that way it works fine with thumbnails already generated before this update. I don't really know, but it seems like it.

Normally I would suggest deleting the documents location, but you've already done that.

Edit: I think we might be on to something. Tested it myself, and here are the results:

I tried deleting and regenerating the Thumbnails folder from my Documents folder. This happened.
Before: [Image: LHlwGvc.png] After: [Image: J59rPNH.png]

I placed the old folder back and the thumnails restored. It seems to me that after 1.3, the editor isn't able to properly draw the thumbnail, or something interferes and corrupts it.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014, 05:11 PM by Mudbill.)
12-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Find
ThornySnail Offline

So if you had no backup, you'd also have my problem?

As a band-aid temporal solution, do you think it's possible for you to upload YOUR backup of thumbnails to depositfiles or elsewhere so myself and others would be able to use it?

Or are the thumbnails' names generated in a way that would make them unusable to anybody but the initial user?

Anyway thanks! Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014, 05:18 PM by ThornySnail.)
12-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I suppose we could try. I don't think I have all the thumbnails generated though. I recently wiped them in order to pick out a few select ones. I do have doors, enemies, items and some more. Also some of the MFP ones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcxu55x5of7b02...s.zip?dl=0

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014, 05:26 PM by Mudbill.)
12-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Find
ThornySnail Offline

Did not work, but thanks for trying!

I deleted by own folder and placed yours. Not one thumbnail worked, all thumbnails are, sadly, corrupt. My editor just creates new ones.

I guess devs have to be involved in this then, any idea how to get their attention quicker?

To anybody else experiencing this, please post to highlight the problem.
12-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I'm sure a mod can come around soon enough and inform Jens or someone. Maybe Jens will see this himself, cause it looks like he's actually going around looking for potential problems (like this one) since 1.3 was just released.

12-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

If you put this in Technical Support, they'll read it right away.

12-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(12-06-2014, 05:03 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I tried deleting and regenerating the Thumbnails folder from my Documents folder. This happened.
Before: [Image: LHlwGvc.png] After: [Image: J59rPNH.png]

I placed the old folder back and the thumnailsthumbnails restored. It seems to me that after 1.3, the editor isn't able to properly draw the thumbnail, or something interferes and corrupts it.

Huh, that's weird. I assumed this is true, so I made a backup of my Thumbnails folder and let the Editor generate a new one.

IT STAYED THE SAME.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
12-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Moved to the support forum.
12-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Find
ThornySnail Offline

I have noticed some mini patch/hotfix was downloaded from steam and I was excited to check on the thumbnails.

Sadly they are still not working. I've deleted the entire HPL2 folder from my documents and have redownloaded and reinstalled HPL editor from here

https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tools/start

Is this issue being looked at?
12-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Find