Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

crash after intro w/ Jaunty amd64.. but more interesting
plussign Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago crash after intro w/ Jaunty amd64.. but more interesting

Just bought the collection, and am trying to get it to run. It always crashes with a cg compiler error. found people saying to get a core dump, it has never produced one, and my ulimit -c is unlimited. confusing there.

So I manually set the ld_library_path to be ./lib, run penumbra.bin, still no core. for the hell of it, I set the ld_library_path to "/usr/lib32:./lib" and now it shows me the intro, but crashes before menu... well fine.

I finally decide to try running penumbra.bin itself under gdb, just to see if I can get an idea of tracing... well, it runs perfectly under gdb. doesn't crash... but I don't really consider this to be a viable workaround...

any ideas?
07-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Find
demirole Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: crash after intro w/ Jaunty amd64.. but more interesting

I just posted my problem which sounds very similar to yours: cg compiler crash, no core, clean hpl.log.

I tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH as you did and get exactly the same result: Now the intro runs (or a part of it, I don;t know) before it crashes. Furthermore, the crash message is much shorter, I only get:
(0) : fatal error C9999: *** exception during compilation ***
Cg compiler terminated due to fatal errorSegmentation fault

What I noticed is that with your LD_LIBRARY_PATH one library (libGLU) is linked from the system directory, while the default links to the games lib directory. Maybe this is a problem with the graphics card libs after all? I have a nvidia with the 185.18.14 drivers on a 64bit gentoo.

Cheers, Levent
07-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Find
plussign Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: crash after intro w/ Jaunty amd64.. but more interesting

(07-17-2009, 07:59 PM)demirole Wrote: I just posted my problem which sounds very similar to yours: cg compiler crash, no core, clean hpl.log.

I tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH as you did and get exactly the same result: Now the intro runs (or a part of it, I don;t know) before it crashes. Furthermore, the crash message is much shorter, I only get:

What I noticed is that with your LD_LIBRARY_PATH one library (libGLU) is linked from the system directory, while the default links to the games lib directory. Maybe this is a problem with the graphics card libs after all? I have a nvidia with the 185.18.14 drivers on a 64bit gentoo.

Cheers, Levent

Yep, same version of the nv drivers. Can you try installing the nvidia-cg-toolkit package for gentoo, then run the the game under gdb?

What my best guess is, the most current version of the nvidia drivers only like the newest version of the cg libs, so somehow gdb is allowing the lib64 cg libs to work with the game, which in turns lets you actually play the game...
(07-17-2009, 08:14 PM)plussign Wrote:
(07-17-2009, 07:59 PM)demirole Wrote: I just posted my problem which sounds very similar to yours: cg compiler crash, no core, clean hpl.log.

Cheers, Levent

Yep, same version of the nv drivers. Can you try installing the nvidia-cg-toolkit package for gentoo, then run the the game under gdb?

What my best guess is, the most current version of the nvidia drivers only like the newest version of the cg libs, so somehow gdb is allowing the lib64 cg libs to work with the game, which in turns lets you actually play the game...

[solution!]

ok.

go to:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cg_download.html

download the linux x86 gzipped tar, extract the two libCg files to your ./lib directory, and sure enough seems to work just fine. So there's a problem with the included libCg and newer graphics drivers.

Joy of joys.
07-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Find
demirole Offline

(07-17-2009, 08:14 PM)plussign Wrote: [solution!]

ok.

go to:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cg_download.html

download the linux x86 gzipped tar, extract the two libCg files to your ./lib directory, and sure enough seems to work just fine. So there's a problem with the included libCg and newer graphics drivers.

Joy of joys.
Indeed! Worked like a charm, thank you for figuring this out!

Cheers, Levent
07-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Find
brebs Offline

Threads: 0

I'm in 32-bit Lunar Linux with NVIDIA 185.18.14. I put libCgGL.so and libCg.so in /usr/lib/, then run the game successfully with this script:

#!/bin/bash

cd /opt/PenumbraCollection/BlackPlague &&
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/opt/PenumbraCollection/BlackPlague/lib &&
exec ./blackplague.bin

Edit: With NVIDIA 185.18.31 and this same script, /usr/lib/libCg* are not necessary. Weird.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2009, 06:32 AM by DsurioN.)
07-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Find