Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

About music in a media.
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: About music in a media.

Dave Porter, the composer of Tv-series such as Breaking Bad, is a good composer, who knows what he's doing. The emotion he represents best is tension: I've never felt the same way as in Crawl Space or the scene while the baby is given birth. The narrative and music go well together, creating the exact tension there should be.

Well, the other strong feelings for me come from the world of anime. One composer being Jun Maeda who isn't strong only in composing touching pieces, but in writing good and dramatic storylines.
01-02-2015, 01:08 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem.

A movie representation of all the songs on Daft Punk's 2001 album, Discovery.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM by Romulator.)
01-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17

Ennio Morricone is my very favorite. Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite film of all time, in part because of his incredible music. Every time I listen to C'Era Una Volta Il West I start to get teary-eyed.

One individual whose work I've always been quite fond of is Danny Elfman. He's composed some of my very favorite film scores, and I like how much his work varies from film to film. For me, his scores for Beetlejuice and Black Beauty are two of the most enjoyable, for the humorous aspect and sentimentality it portrayed respectively.

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
01-03-2015, 02:35 AM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(01-03-2015, 02:35 AM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote: Ennio Morricone is my very favorite. Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite film of all time, in part because of his incredible music. Every time I listen to C'Era Una Volta Il West I start to get teary-eyed.

Ennio Morricone was the only good thing in The Exorcist 2: The Heretic
01-03-2015, 02:40 AM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17

(01-03-2015, 02:40 AM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: Ennio Morricone was the only good thing in The Exorcist 2: The Heretic

I wholly agree with you. That movie was awful.

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
01-03-2015, 02:58 AM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(01-03-2015, 02:58 AM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 02:40 AM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: Ennio Morricone was the only good thing in The Exorcist 2: The Heretic

I wholly agree with you. That movie was awful.

Speaking of The Exorcist, Mike Oldfield is a great composer and you should check him out.

01-03-2015, 03:07 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(01-01-2015, 10:13 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it made me realise that sometimes soundtracks kind of "tell you" what you should feel instead of letting you feel it by yourself.

This is certainly often the case - but the real magic in music lies in expressing abstract emotions. Moods you cannot paint with words or visuals because they don't really exist. When paired with visuals or a narrative, it can introduce meanings which don't follow naturally from the scene itself. Instead of telling you what to feel by forming resonance with what's on the screen, music can become a character in its own right by offering its own unique perspective, not unlike cinematography or lighting, which technically are not directly perceived either. Even simple scenes can become complex if the music suggests something other than what is being shown - especially if the music doesn't directly reference idioms we connect with certain emotions - stereotypically sad music or heroic music for example (e.g. the music is itself simple, as in one-dimensional). But you're right, sometimes silence is golden.

EDIT: This is often done beautifully in noir films. Possibly my favorite example is the ending to Chinatown:

Spoiler below!

After such a dark scene one might be tempted to close with just silence or something overtly sad or heavy. Instead we get a lonely trumpet accompanied by mysterious jazz harmonies. It's not that it's thematically out of place or isn't sad, it's that it seems to be completely unaware of its surroundings. It's dreamlike and unreal - and stays true to that cynical noir spirit. The scene affects how the music is perceived and vice versa, but it is not the case that the music makes you feel sad - in fact the music is more profound than only a singular emotional state. Instead, you feel conflicted emotions - on one hand you feel sad because of the events and on the other you feel as if it doesn't really matter anyway and life goes on, which is at least personally what I take away from the scene (the music may even be "happy" at times). In other words, the music expresses something which really is not inherent to the scene. The fact that I'm stumbling over my words and having such a hard time explaining what it means is exactly the point I'm trying to make; It doesn't mean anything - but you still feel something. What that something is is not necessary to go into because any answer you find is going to be inaccurate at best. N.B. that doesn't mean you can't be specific about what that emotion is, it just means it has no meaning.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 05:09 AM by Bridge.)
01-07-2015, 04:39 AM
Find