Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help FC - Level Editor ...
Plazmater Offline

Threads: 24
FC - Level Editor ...

I changed my custom story to FC but i really wanted to know how can i view files like static_objects, entities etc. from FC folder in Level editor ?

Only way i know how to see them in level editor is that for example i rename folder to static_objects2 in FC folder and copy it to original ATTD folder so that Level editor will load those models.

But it is really messy doing it that way.

Any ideas ?
03-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: FC - Level Editor ...

Place a random static object in your map.
Press the little [...] button in that static object.
Find your desired file and load it.

Trying is the first step to success.
03-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

(03-21-2015, 09:44 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: Place a random static object in your map.
Press the little [...] button in that static object.
Find your desired file and load it.

Thank you so much!

it saves me a lot of trouble... really useful thing.
03-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

Got a new problem... Sad

It looked good at first it was working but if i restart level editor and open that map those custom objects are gone ... and level editor shows error because it knows those objects were or are placed there but are not visible.

What am i supposed to do.
03-22-2015, 12:48 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

The location of your entities or static objects are likely not within the scope of the main resources.cfg file. If not, the editors will fail to locate them.

03-22-2015, 02:49 AM
Find
Plazmater Offline

So do i have to add paths to the original resources.cfg as well ? Because thats not working.

And it is actually weird because its showing custom doors as entity in Level editor but it doesnt show custom static objects.
And both custom static objects and entites are in FC folder... weird ?

While testing FC , it shows custom static objects and entites but in editor it only shows custom entities...

This is pretty much hurting my brain.

Update: So it seems that its not even showing static objects while testing FC, this is happening only to static objects ?

Confused...confused...confused... Sad
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015, 03:29 AM by Plazmater.)
03-22-2015, 03:17 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

How is the main resources.cfg file and how is your mod's? Post the contents of both please.

03-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

Main resources.cfg is not changed.
My mods resources.cfg is the same i just added paths for my custom entities , etc...

Well i am now doing this in messy way because i dont want to wait too much.

Also i think its because i am trying to load custom things from [...] and yet they are in FC folder not main game one. So whenever i restart editor it will load without those custom objects... even if they were placed and saved before.
Thats probably because editor itself is placed in main game folder and can read only main game objects...

By changing main resources.cfg same way as mods one by adding paths to FC folder it wont work.

However i wonder if i can make editor somehow to read custom objects from FC folder from somewhere else ? it might be somewhere in level editor conf files... that comes in the same .rar folder when you want to download and extract level editor to your game folder for the first time.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015, 03:41 PM by Plazmater.)
03-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

See, you're onto something yes. The editors use the main resources.cfg file regardless. The directories they use are defined in the MainEditorSettings.cfg file, which looks like this:

PHP Code: (Select All)
<Directories 
  EditorHomeDir
="HPL2" 

EditorTempDir="Temp" 

ThumbnailsDir="Thumbnails" 

MapsDir="maps" 

StaticObjectsDir="static_objects" 

EntitiesDir="entities" 

LightsDir="lights" 

BillboardsDir="billboards" 

ParticlesDir="particles" 

SoundsDir="sounds" 
/> 

Therefore you can only have 1 folder to use for entities, and 1 folder for static objects.

Here's what I would do:

Make a "custom" folder within each of the main static_objects and entities folders. Place your custom files in there and use them with the editors as much as you want. They won't disappear.

When you're done, copy the files into your mod's folders when you upload the mod. The game will use your mod's resources.cfg file (unlike the editors), so there will be no problem.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015, 05:45 PM by Mudbill.)
03-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

(03-23-2015, 05:44 PM)Mudbill Wrote: See, you're onto something yes. The editors use the main resources.cfg file regardless. The directories they use are defined in the MainEditorSettings.cfg file, which looks like this:

PHP Code: (Select All)
<Directories 
  EditorHomeDir
="HPL2" 

EditorTempDir="Temp" 

ThumbnailsDir="Thumbnails" 

MapsDir="maps" 

StaticObjectsDir="static_objects" 

EntitiesDir="entities" 

LightsDir="lights" 

BillboardsDir="billboards" 

ParticlesDir="particles" 

SoundsDir="sounds" 
/> 

Therefore you can only have 1 folder to use for entities, and 1 folder for static objects.

Here's what I would do:

Make a "custom" folder within each of the main static_objects and entities folders. Place your custom files in there and use them with the editors as much as you want. They won't disappear.

When you're done, copy the files into your mod's folders when you upload the mod. The game will use your mod's resources.cfg file (unlike the editors), so there will be no problem.

And the solution you just said, is exactly the one i call "messy". But if its working then i am alright with that.
03-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Find