Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

USEFUL SOFTWARE | Free, Open Source, Commercial
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
USEFUL SOFTWARE | Free, Open Source, Commercial

I got a vision of a thread where community members could submit softwares that are useful in everyday, hobby and work use. Idea is kinda same as it is with the Giveaway thread. Only rules are that softwares really are useful, free, open source or commercial and they must be legal. Platform is free.

If the thread has enough interest, I will do my best to update whenever I got time.
Of course if you want to design layout/whatever else, you can either send me PM or post into this thread. Moderators have right to do edits as they see fit, as long as it serves the reader.

I'll start with few:

PC:

7-Zip - Archiver | Free/Open Source
Audacity - Audio recorder and editor | Free/Open Source
Blender - 3D computer graphics software | Free/Open Source
GIMP - Image and graphics editor | Free/Open Source
KeePass - Password manager | Free/Open Source
Tunggle - Peer-to-Peer Virtual Private Network Client | Free/19.90€
VLC Media Player - Quite honestly the best video player out there | Free/Open Source
WinRAR or WinZip - Archivers to use with common file types like .rar | Free/Open Source + paid versions.

Mac:

VLC Media Player - Quite honestly the best video player out there | Free/Open Source
HyperDock - Makes for incredible flow with multitasking features | Free trial/paid licence.
Little Snitch - Very useful for monitoring network usage and blocking connections | Free trial/paid licence.
The Unarchiver - Archiver tool for formats such as .rar | Free/Open Source

Contributors: IIPEE, Mudbill, BAndrew, Traggey, Unearthlybrutal, 7heDubz

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 07:09 PM by Yuhaney.)
04-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Website Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: USEFUL SOFTWARES | Free, Open Source, Commercial

Alright, I'll throw in a few.

PC:

WinRAR or WinZip - Archivers to use with common file types like .rar | Free/Open Source + paid versions.

Mac:

HyperDock - Makes for incredible flow with multitasking features | Free trial/paid licence.
Little Snitch - Very useful for monitoring network usage and blocking connections | Free trial/paid licence.
The Unarchiver - Archiver tool for formats such as .rar | Free/Open Source
Also Audacity, Blender and GIMP are available here.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2015, 11:26 PM by Yuhaney.)
04-16-2015, 11:07 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23

• Notepad++ - A source code editor written in C++. Extremely useful for programming/scripting. | Free | Windows
  • LibreOffice - An alternative for Microsoft Office | Free/Open Source | Windows + Linux + Mac OS X (x86_64 10.8 or newer required)
  • TeXstudio - An integrated writing environment for creating LaTeX documents (mainly for scientific/academic or work purposes) | Free/Open Source |Windows + Linux + Mac OS X (version 10.8+)
  • Mozilla Thunderbird - A free email management application | Free | Windows + Linux
  • FileZilla - FTP client and server | Free/Open Source | Supports all platforms for the client and windows for the server.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

04-17-2015, 12:46 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

These apps are mostly focused around my life as an artist.

Refboard -Reference image software, will always stay ontop any other apps and is super simple to use, I use it every day.

Alchemy -A really cool sketching software that works amazingly for creating silhouettes of characters and creatures, should be used as a companion app for any other image editing software.

Unreal Engine 4 -Because FUCK YEAH! By far the most graphicaly impressive game engine out there and with the new Blueprint system it makes scripting super simple for the idiot artists like me, and with full source exposed and the option to work with C++ this baby becomes an incredible beast to work with.

Xnormal - Xnormal is a texturemap baking software, used to create normal maps, ambient occlusion maps, cavity maps etc etc by projecting high poly surfaces onto low poly surfaces. Being entirely dedicated towards this task it is currently far superior in both quality and time spent rendering as compared to doing it within most 3D packages.

OBS - Open Broadcaster Software is a brilliant, free and open source way of streaming from your computer to services like Twitch or Livestream, this baby can also be used as a free alternative to something like FRAPS as it alows the user to record localy.

BitTorrent Sync Verision control software similar to SVN and Perforce, however this one does not require the users to own a server! It's Peer to peer and is super awesome for smaller teams.

Qbittorrent - Simple to use and look at torrenting software created as an alternative to μTorrent, this baby features no bloatware, no ads and is not blocked my major anime networks such as BakaBT for those of you who want to see them japtoons yo.

Dropbox - Dropbox! Share your files with yourself or others over the net, simply drag and drop into your dropbox folder and they will be accessable by whomever you choose anywhere! Brilliant little tool that I use daily. Free verision gives 2 G's of memory.

RocketDock - Rocketdock is a really neat docking software that adds a dock similar to what you would see on mac computers to your windows PC, it is highly customizable and with a simple image editing program you can personalize the entire look of it yourself. I am one of those freaks who creates a new icon for every single program I have installed just so that it will match the rest of my rocketdock icons, also helps keep your desktop clean!

CCCP - Don't let the scary website fool you, CCCP ( Combined Community Codec Pack ) is a must have for anyone who watches alot of movies, tv shows or anime on your computer! Adding support for mostly every single valuable video codec out there to your computer. It also comes with an installation option for Media Player Classic, which is my personal video viewing favourite.

Blendhurrr -Seriously, fuck Blender. You SUCK BLENDER!

DDO Legacy - A free option to the incredibly powerfull texturing tool by quixel. DDO Legacy an older verision of the tool which has now been released for free, although it does not come with PBR support making it non-efficient for newer games engines, it is still a very powerfull tool for modders who work alot with older games engines, such as HPL!

Free image editing tools that I would use any day over GIMP.

Krita
Paint Tool SAI
Paint.net
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 10:58 AM by Traggey.)
04-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

For all who make or want to make music:
REAPER v0.999 is free, even though 60$ for discounted license is very reasonable price (considering of what you get) Smile

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2015, 11:48 AM by Unearthlybrutal.)
04-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Website Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Paint dot net for starters.

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html - Image and graphics editor | Free

Followed by the community codec pack (With Media Player Classic)

http://www.cccp-project.net/ - The Combined Community Codec Pack is a simple playback pack for Windows with the goal of supporting the majority of video formats in use today. | Free

EDIT - (OH Traggey already added CCCP I love it too!)

EDIT - (Oh.. and paint.net crap)

EDIT - Alright here. http://unity3d.com/ add that.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015, 09:36 AM by 7heDubz.)
04-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

good thread

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-17-2015, 06:28 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Oh, and btw I'm pretty sure "software" is the same for both singular and plural forms.

04-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(04-17-2015, 06:31 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Oh, and btw I'm pretty sure "software" is the same for both singular and plural forms.

Tis.

04-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: USEFUL SOFTWARE | Free, Open Source, Commercial

Fixed.

04-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Website Find