Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any plans on fixing the skyboxes?
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Any plans on fixing the skyboxes?

By the looks of it, the general public has issues with skyboxes as well. Right now, the skyboxes are messed up in the sense that the sides are all disoriented and wrong. In my experience, it repeats the same side for all 6, but others have reported it being just flipped and incorrect order.

Something's gotta be done. The skyboxes have been broken since 1.3 came out. Is there some way to fix it and will such a fix be functional after this is patched (if at all)? I have yet to see a working skybox these days.

I noticed this while dropping by Markiplier playing In Lucy's Eyes. It's a shame, because the skybox being messed up really kills a lot of the atmosphere. I hope you guys are considering a fix, else there's no point trying to make outdoor environments.

05-12-2015, 07:27 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Any plans on fixing the skyboxes?

I have added it as an issue to look into. But to be honest there will not be any possibilities of updates until SOMA is released.

It could be that the format changed so making skyboxes in a new way will work. A future fix should be to fix so that old format work (if it is in fact a new format causing it) and the new format kept in place hopefully.

Should be possible to try and make a new skybox now and it will remain working (if it in fact is capable of working at the moment).

Maybe the format got passed over from AMFP, so trying a skybox from AMFP in TDD might give a clue if it works or is completely broken.
05-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Website Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

If the format isn't going to change (for a while), I'll look into writing up a (temporary) fix for the wiki.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
05-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Only thing to so here is...
Damnit!
We (modders) are now sorta screwed, because my mod has more outside then inside gameplay!
If Jens Patrik or ANyone here has some spare time and could take a look at how or what is the problem...
I will try to look at it as well, this need to be fixed or outside gameplay won't be created anymorei guess..

At least Jens has posted an idea of what we can do.
IF the MFP skybox DOES work, we should be able to find the problem(s)
BUT, if the MFP also won't work, we dont have any change to get it working by then Sad
I have got 4 maps witch have OUTSIDE terrain (skyboxes) from the 8 maps so far....
That took me 4 months to build.. i don't want to throw that away!

Anyways,,
Let's hope someone here (Rom is very smart, specially in these things!) could find a fix!
Planes with a skybox texture wont work here Tongue hehee
05-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(05-12-2015, 09:41 AM)DnALANGE Wrote: Only thing to so here is...
Damnit!
We (modders) are now sorta screwed, because my mod has more outside then inside gameplay!
If Jens Patrik or ANyone here has some spare time and could take a look at how or what is the problem...
I will try to look at it as well, this need to be fixed or outside gameplay won't be created anymorei guess..

At least Jens has posted an idea of what we can do.
IF the MFP skybox DOES work, we should be able to find the problem(s)
BUT, if the MFP also won't work, we dont have any change to get it working by then Sad
I have got 4 maps witch have OUTSIDE terrain (skyboxes) from the 8 maps so far....
That took me 4 months to build.. i don't want to throw that away!

Anyways,,
Let's hope someone here (Rom is very smart, specially in these things!) could find a fix!
Planes with a skybox texture wont work here Tongue hehee

The problem is the way the game reads the skyboxes. Two sides need to be swapped, and top needs to be rotated. That's essentially all that needs to be done.

I'm writing up the temporary fix on the wiki now.

05-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Alright, good. BTW, no AMFP skyboxes do not work either. I'm guessing these issues can be fixed for now by reversing the rotations and swaps that occur, as Rom said. It's better than nothing. Of course, it will still leave older CS's and mods broken as they're probably not going to be updated.

So yeah Jens, I say definitely aim for a double format support when this is planned to get fixed (if it is as you suspect, of course). If we adopt a modified skybox, it would be a real shame if the fix would render those broken.

05-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(05-12-2015, 02:41 PM)Mudbill Wrote: So yeah Jens, I say definitely aim for a double format support when this is planned to get fixed (if it is as you suspect, of course). If we adopt a modified skybox, it would be a real shame if the fix would render those broken.

The question is, how do you check? At an engine level, not a scripting level, which method to apply when displaying the skybox? I doubt you can just check to see if an image has a rotated 'top' for example.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 03:41 PM by Romulator.)
05-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Sounds like a project to work on. Fixing older mods with skyboxes that is,

Just gotta get permission from the original author I'd assume. Mer.

Do you think as long as I gave them enough credit (by name and everything) it would even matter if I messed with their mod?

05-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(05-12-2015, 11:27 PM)7heDubz Wrote: Sounds like a project to work on. Fixing older mods with skyboxes that is.

You'll need the original six images which make up the cubemap to do it effectively. When the cubemap is exported as a .dds, if you were to preview the image or open the .dds in an image editing software, it won't look like the raw six images but rather an interpretation of how the cube will look in game.

Using CubeMapGen, you may be able to extract the raw images into a new .dds, then change them, export, then apply them to the new levels, but I have not tested that.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2015, 11:17 AM by Romulator.)
05-13-2015, 01:41 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Alright, please pardon my double posting.

After a few tests - Skyboxes appear to be broken; post 131111 beta.

I'm unable to determine exactly what is causing it though - the .glsl file which involves Skyboxes appears no different, nor does it have any issues when it explains anything about orientation. Not exactly sure where else to look.

Here's a breakdown:

Spoiler below!

[Image: 018d9830a4.jpg]

In short, 131111 or beforehand has Skyboxes working just fine - and too, so does the layout which I constantly repost. The way the skyboxes appear when they are viewed in the Level Editor and Amnesia are just a repetition of the first image in the original basemap.

[Image: 77a79c4c52.jpg]
[Image: 7163ab021f.jpg]

Opening the .dds I put together in Paint.Net also only shows the first image - but off memory, that is completely normal.

I also tried to make a skybox using a different basemap layout (vertical cross, to be exact), and had the same result, a repeated single side.

If you think you can fix it, go ahead, try :3 If you go here:
https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tu...tutorial_7
You can follow the same steps I took to produce the Skybox I used to test out the errors.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2015, 04:21 PM by Romulator.)
05-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.