Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a custom decal?
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105
How to make a custom decal?

How to make a custom decal...
I tried some things in the material editor, but I gave up, because if you are selected on `decal` there is no `import` kinda things...
I really need to know how to create a decal, also, how to "use" Specular?!
I have some custom floor, and I want it to shine, like... You know what I mean, what do I exactly need to do, to make them shine. Like what do I have to do with the specular?! or the better question, |how to make/\what is a| Specular?!
05-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73
RE: How to make a custom decal?

Decals , you cant see them unfortunatly!
They DO work though!, if you press SaveAs...
Just look at them as a plane or ALphachannel for example.
Then go back to Decal and save!
HINT; To have TEXT appear as a decal.
ROTATE your tekst HORIZONTAL (mirror) or tekst will be backwords...
05-26-2015, 03:21 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(05-26-2015, 03:21 PM)DnALANGE Wrote: Decals , you cant see them unfortunatly!
They DO work though!, if you press SaveAs...
Just look at them as a plane or ALphachannel for example.
Then go back to Decal and save!
HINT; To have TEXT appear as a decal.
ROTATE your tekst HORIZONTAL (mirror) or tekst will be backwords...

thanks! Big Grin, And how about the specular??! that one is the most needed for me,
Also you know A laugh in the darkness?! I thought that neon lights was decals... So that's the reason I tohught you could make "working" decals..
05-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I guess I could answer some of your questions.

A specular map is sort of like a filter for your diffuse texture. It tells the game where these shine bumps are supposed to be. A specular map can have different looks, but often they are just black and white, with noticeable lines to define the shiny areas of the texture.

I'll just make an example of Behemoth's forest leaves:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-29948.html

You see, each of these have 3 texture files. Diffuse (left), normal map (top right), specular map (bottom right). The spec looks like some black and white blobs, but will be applied to the diffuse.

A black spec map will not shine. A white one will shine like crazy. The whiter the file is, the more it will shine.

05-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(05-26-2015, 07:00 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I guess I could answer some of your questions.

A specular map is sort of like a filter for your diffuse texture. It tells the game where these shine bumps are supposed to be. A specular map can have different looks, but often they are just black and white, with noticeable lines to define the shiny areas of the texture.

I'll just make an example of Behemoth's forest leaves:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-29948.html

You see, each of these have 3 texture files. Diffuse (left), normal map (top right), specular map (bottom right). The spec looks like some black and white blobs, but will be applied to the diffuse.

A black spec map will not shine. A white one will shine like crazy. The whiter the file is, the more it will shine.

Oh thanks! but what do I have to do? Exactly, like do I have to copy and paste the texture, and just paint it black&white, and then put it into the Material editor?! or something else..?
05-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

There are programs that can generate these for you. You can also do it manually, but it isn't just a monochrome version of the diffuse texture. It depends on what your texture contains. If it's metal, it's likely to shine a lot, unless it's brushed metal, in which case it barely reflects anything.

05-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Find