Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: SOMA Discussion Thread

I don't care about technicalities; there are three Penumbra games and three Amnesia games. :p

But I agree that there's a much wider range of possibilities available for mods of a futuristic game. It was cute how certain custom stories of Amnesia struggled to create modern settings by reusing Penumbra's assets. Perhaps SOMA's custom stories could reuse assets from either the Amnesia series or Penumbra?
10-20-2013, 05:11 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

There are 3 Penumbra and Amnesia games IF you take the DLC's and Expansion into consideration.
There is only 2 Penumbra and Amnesia games, Overture and Black Plague, The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs, respectively.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
10-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

(10-20-2013, 05:34 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: There are 3 Penumbra and Amnesia games IF you take the DLC's and Expansion into consideration.
There is only 2 Penumbra and Amnesia games, Overture and Black Plague, The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs, respectively.

If you're going to be like that, there's only one official Amnesia game - The Dark Descent, made by Frictional. Justine is an expansion and AMFP was made by another developer. :p

Requiem is a pale shadow of what could have been Episode 3. From what I understand, the reason why Frictional fumbled that series was because of financial issues. Hopefully those kinds of problems will not affect their plans for SOMA.
10-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(10-20-2013, 05:43 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 05:34 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: There are 3 Penumbra and Amnesia games IF you take the DLC's and Expansion into consideration.

If you're going to be like that, there's only one official Amnesia game - The Dark Descent, made by Frictional. Justine is an expansion and AMFP was made by another developer. :p

Requiem is a pale shadow of what could have been Episode 3. From what I understand, the reason why Frictional fumbled that series was because of financial issues. Hopefully those kinds of problems will not affect their plans for SOMA.

Let's just say that Amnesia has 2.5 games in the franchise, and Penumbra has 3 okay?

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
10-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

I didn't know this forum was so pedantic. :p

This game will feature a new iteration of the 'sanity' mechanic. Anyone wonder exactly how it will work? Would it be affected by looking at cybernetic horrors or being in the presence of unsafe environments, or by other kinds of events? Will your hallucinations be more vivid and disturbing than in Amnesia?
10-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

(10-20-2013, 06:23 PM)Alardem Wrote: I didn't know this forum was so pedantic. :p

This game will feature a new iteration of the 'sanity' mechanic. Anyone wonder exactly how it will work? Would it be affected by looking at cybernetic horrors or being in the presence of unsafe environments, or by other kinds of events? Will your hallucinations be more vivid and disturbing than in Amnesia?
The mechanic will work differently for each enemy. I image one could mess with your vision and give the "blurry screen", the other could cause hallucinations, etc.
10-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I dont think it will be a sanity mechanic you can check in the inventory like in amnesia, I think it be screen/sound/etc effects while the systems will be remain more hidden.

As an example think Slenderman, He is an enemy with his own unique sanity effects
10-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

(10-20-2013, 07:08 PM)The Mug Wrote: As an example think Slenderman, He is an enemy with his own unique sanity effects
Slenderman messes with your cybernetic eyes camera. Didn't Silent Hill do something similar in it's lore?
10-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

No, you just had radio static. Similar to chase music in Amnesia.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Find
Sakonosolo Offline

The Call of Cthulhu game had one of my favorite sanity mechanics. If your sanity got too low your character would actually kill himself, by scratching his eyes out if unarmed or if he had a gun he'd shoot himself. Something like that combined with Eternal Darkness tier hallucinations would be an amazing system. There need to be more hallucinations in general, the only ones that were in Amnesia were the bugs and the wavy environment. They should bump up the amount of auditory and visual hallucinations.
10-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Find