Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
RedKnight Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

Ill be happier if there is bunch of blood, organs and dead bodies scattered and covered everywere!

That would be awesome! :3

03-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Existential angst? Man that thing could really mess with people you know. I mean is life REALLY pointless? Sure, a lot of fear and anxiety could come out of it, but don't they realize that the human psyche is a bit weak? Some people could really get wrecked with this theme. It is kind of interesting but I don't think that Existential angst is a good idea. Maybe if they toned it down a bit it could be something nice.

The thing with FG is that the monsters ARE ALWAYS the Unknown. I mean we ABSOLUTELY don't know anything about them, their look, sound, weight, height, etc. We just know their voices echoing in the halls and the noises they create.

Alardem
Lovecraft is terrified? If life is truly insignificant from the cosmic perspective, then that's real fear. Fear could be a lot, maybe unknown or gross, but Lovecraft is the real fear. It doesn't involve disgusting stuff. Or terrifying ones. Maybe the monster stories do, but Lovecraft (I think) loves the idea of an unknown enemy. Ambiguity could really mess us up. Even a happy mask is ambiguous and thus our brain interpret that as terror because the Human brain is pretty bad with ambiguity.

Tesbull
Really?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Do you really want to discuss Absurdism? Because I am up for it.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

(03-11-2014, 07:26 AM)Tesbull Wrote: Ill be happier if there is bunch of blood, organs and dead bodies scattered and covered everywere!

That would be a mood breaker.
Go and play Dead Space.
03-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(03-11-2014, 07:26 AM)Tesbull Wrote: Ill be happier if there is bunch of blood, organs and dead bodies scattered and covered everywere!

Yeah.. they made Outlast for this reason

and about being pretentious? I wasn't. Existential angst really does fuck with people a lot. When I said I don't get bothered by it, it wasn't exactly true though. The fear is still there but more stagnant. I don't even worry about the whole 'life is meaningless' thing because I've accepted that for a long time, I'm more thinking about stuff like: what is there if there is no life, how could the universe exist if you can't create something from nothing. Do we even exist at all? That sort of thing. I'd say existential angst is the worst emotional feeling you can get. It's fucking horrible to think about actually

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM by Damascus Rose.)
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23

NO! NO! NO! That would be disgusting and not scary at all.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

03-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(03-11-2014, 08:32 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:

Yeah.. they made Outlast for this reason

and about being pretentious? I wasn't. Existential angst really does fuck with people a lot. When I said I don't get bothered by it, it wasn't exactly true though. The fear is still there but more stagnant. I don't even worry about the whole 'life is meaningless' thing because I've accepted that for a long time, I'm more thinking about stuff like: what is there if there is no life, how could the universe exist if you can't create something from nothing. Do we even exist at all? That sort of thing. I'd say existential angst is the worst emotional feeling you can get. It's fucking horrible to think about actually

Are you contemplating what the universe would have been like if life never arose? Currently accepted scientific theories are still vague on when life first appeared on Earth.
03-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(03-11-2014, 11:19 PM)Alardem Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 08:32 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: long quote...

Are you contemplating what the universe would have been like if life never arose? Currently accepted scientific theories are still vague on when life first appeared on Earth.

And might I ask what you would do with that information? I'm not asking what mankind could do with it, but you specifically.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
03-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(03-11-2014, 08:37 AM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: Existential angst? Man that thing could really mess with people you know. I mean is life REALLY pointless? Sure, a lot of fear and anxiety could come out of it, but don't they realize that the human psyche is a bit weak? Some people could really get wrecked with this theme. It is kind of interesting but I don't think that Existential angst is a good idea. Maybe if they toned it down a bit it could be something nice.

The thing with FG is that the monsters ARE ALWAYS the Unknown. I mean we ABSOLUTELY don't know anything about them, their look, sound, weight, height, etc. We just know their voices echoing in the halls and the noises they create.

I honestly doubt FG is tactless enough be like: WHATEVER AFTERLIFE YOU BELIEVE IN DOESN'T EXIST WE'RE ALL JUST WASTES OF SPACE YOU SUCK AND YOU, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR MOM DON'T MATTER.

If existential angst is indeed the theme, then there are lots of moral and ethical issues that could be addressed to make the game interesting.

Something doesn't have to be completely unknown to be scary. Sometimes, just knowing the right amount of information can be terrifying. Even just a vague suggestion of something, executed properly, and make for some serious scares.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM by VaeVictis.)
03-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-12-2014, 08:00 AM)Abraxas Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 08:37 AM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: Existential angst? Man that thing could really mess with people you know. I mean is life REALLY pointless? Sure, a lot of fear and anxiety could come out of it, but don't they realize that the human psyche is a bit weak? Some people could really get wrecked with this theme. It is kind of interesting but I don't think that Existential angst is a good idea. Maybe if they toned it down a bit it could be something nice.

I honestly doubt FG is tactless enough be like: WHATEVER AFTERLIFE YOU BELIEVE IN DOESN'T EXIST WE'RE ALL JUST WASTES OF SPACE YOU SUCK AND YOU, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR MOM DON'T MATTER.

If existential angst is indeed the theme, then there are lots of moral and ethical issues that could be addressed to make the game interesting.

Something doesn't have to be completely unknown to be scary. Sometimes, just knowing the right amount of information can be terrifying. Even just a vague suggestion of something, executed properly, and make for some serious scares.

I agree. It doesn't has to be COMPLETELY unknown, maybe knowing about it a little builds it up. And FG won't be that tactless. I mean they can probably take it up a notch.

By the way, you don't have to mention my mother.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Find