Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to bake my maya material?
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105
Need to bake my maya material?

I want to create my own things.
I'm not REALLY good, but pretty good.
Like I can do some decent things.
But The export didn't work for a month. and the reason was. I used a png file -_-
And that doesn't work in hpl2....
But yeah, later on, I created a Machine. First, I assigned a new material on it, Just the texture (WITHOUT UV TEXTURE EDITING) And it worked. but as you know, without uv texture editor, your objects will look like shit xD
So I didn't know any shit about uv texture editor, but now, I do (first of all, I think I do lol)
And yeah I used it. and I was so happy, that this worked... Soo happy..
But then. I exported, and when I opened in the modelview, It showed, but then without the uv texture editing, so it just shows me what it showed me the first time (ugly textures)...
So, to fix this, do you need to "Bake" textures?!
(After Uv texture editor etc)
If yes, I can't find a good "bake" tutorial on youtube, most of them are "lights" etc...
And you can't use "lights" since hpl2 doesn't support the one from maya...
but yeah, questions is: Do I need to bake my texture for "uv texture editing"?
Btw, if there is someone who can help me a bit about Maya, and modelling etc..
Please help me out, Really want some new things.. I really don't want to stick with the orginal one, of amnesia. Since there are million(a lot) of custom stories. with the same things. already...

Btw, How do you create own particles?!
Where do you even create them? In maya?
I really need fast moving 5x5 fog, trying to build up a skyscraper for my custom story...
(Where I am indeed working on custom models)
Sorry for bad English Tongue
06-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Need to bake my maya material?

Use an oven.
/joke

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I don't have an actual answer.

Trying is the first step to success.
06-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-12-2015, 09:10 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: Use an oven.
/joke

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I don't have an actual answer.

Lol thanks for helping me out Big Grin
Buyed a new oven, but my pc is gone now...
06-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Find
RaideX Offline

Threads: 33

To answer your first question: No, you don't need to bake any map in order to get your model into the engine properly. They are two separate things really. My guess would be that you have some issues with properly exporting your model. There's a pretty good tutorial on this topic here.

Regarding the particles: Creating particles is done in the particle editor included in the HPL editor suite. In general you have textures that you manipulate with the particle editor to get the desired result. More on that right here.

If you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all... -The False Shepherd
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 11:09 AM by RaideX.)
06-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-13-2015, 11:08 AM)RaideX Wrote: To answer your first question: No, you don't need to bake any map in order to get your model into the engine properly. They are two separate things really. My guess would be that you have some issues with properly exporting your model. There's a pretty good tutorial on this topic here.

Regarding the particles: Creating particles is done in the particle editor included in the HPL editor suite. In general you have textures that you manipulate with the particle editor to get the desired result. More on that right here.

Thanks, but the exporting isn't a problem (anymore) instead of dds, I use jpg. I made an object. and Added 4 colors onto it. I opened in modelview, no textures available...
The only thing I can see is my model, without textures. only the "Original ground" texture Sad
I really don't understand those things, I did everything I can, but it still didn't work. I tried to bake, but I can't. I make mistakes, and I even don't know what I do wrong.
But I heard from here, that you need to bake, to apply more then 1 color...
(Yes I use several pictures. not 1, I can't use uv texture editor that good..)
06-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Okay, HPL rule nr1 ( Or any game engine for that matter ). DO NOT USE JPG.

EVER EVER EVER EVER

Use DDS.

But no that's not your current issue, your issue seems to be that your UV map is either not being exported properly, OR! You have put your UV map on the wrong UV channel.

Try this, export the model as a .obj file to your desktop, import it back into your modeling suite in a new scene, apply your texture. Does your texture apply correctly?

Also try doing the same with .fbx and .dae format and tell me if there's any difference.

If possible, you can send me the model in either .fbx or .obj format and I'll take a look at it for you and see if I can find what's wrong, but make sure you try above mentioned things first.

Also don't use JPG, super duper serious, don't ever do it.

I will murder you if you do. It's that serious, A'IGHT?! Good.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 01:48 PM by Traggey.)
06-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-13-2015, 01:43 PM)Traggey Wrote: Okay, HPL rule nr1 ( Or any game engine for that matter ). DO NOT USE JPG.

EVER EVER EVER EVER

Use DDS.

But no that's not your current issue, your issue seems to be that your UV map is either not being exported properly, OR! You have put your UV map on the wrong UV channel.

Try this, export the model as a .obj file to your desktop, import it back into your modeling suite in a new scene, apply your texture. Does your texture apply correctly?

Also try doing the same with .fbx and .dae format and tell me if there's any difference.

If possible, you can send me the model in either .fbx or .obj format and I'll take a look at it for you and see if I can find what's wrong, but make sure you try above mentioned things first.

Also don't use JPG, super duper serious, don't ever do it.

I will murder you if you do. It's that serious, A'IGHT?! Good.

Okey sorry! I'm sorry, I won't use jpg anymore Smile
(hopefully I can make my jpg turn into dds..)
BUT., I think I got the problem?
what what what did you say??

"your issue seems to be that your UV map is either not being exported properly, OR! You have put your UV map on the wrong UV channel."

What do you mean by that?! do I had to do something with that to?! lol the onyl thing I did is just uv mapping, and then closing it... and exporting the model...
I think this is the problem..
(btw, what's worng about jpg? lower qualities?! becasue the things I made are so fucking bad... Looks like 240 p xD'

I´m trying to create something. This is an "Item"
I'm going to create 5 parts, as item, and if you combine them all, they turn into 1 part, so you can place it down (and use it)
so, but you need alot of texture etc.
At this part, the wooden ground part, I applied 2 textures, (both dds)
And I used uv texture editor (of course) but I only used it, and didn't do ANYTHING, so if I
export this to amnesia, and put it in "entities" in a map, with this, and the 2 textures I used, will they appear in modelview?!
Or do I have to "save" the uv editor thing somehow... (I still don't know lol)
EDIT: Okey, I tried it just now, and It didn't work Sad It gave me error... Couldn't load "Trample_Steam_Part1"
Another Edit: Btw, I saved it as Obj, and dae, and Opened it in new scene, and it was PERFECTLY the same! Everything was on it, and when I tried to export it to Hpl2 again, this time WITHOUT textures, it came like... on the "wooden" thing appeared, without textures. the 2 irons weren't there... Only the "ground board thing" So that thing is missing too.. (but I combined it)
I really don't understand anything anymore Sad

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 277.96 KB / Downloads: 107)
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 03:52 PM by Amnesiaplayer.)
06-13-2015, 01:54 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

The reason why you shouldn't use JPG is partially because of quality, but mostly because game engines are simply not built to use jpg files. Many use DDS textures because of the compression settings, making the textures more suited for gameplay use, rendering lower quality verisions the farther away from it you are for example, also know as mipmapping. With JPG, you don't get any mipmapping.

As for the UV channel thing, when you create a UV map, there are different channels for it. For example Unreal engine uses channel 1 for textures, and channel 2 for shadow maps.

You might have just accidentaly put the UV map on the second UV channel instead of the first, HPL does not use channel 2 and that would result in your old bad UV's being imported instead.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2015, 02:03 PM by Traggey.)
06-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-14-2015, 01:11 PM)Traggey Wrote: The reason why you shouldn't use JPG is partially because of quality, but mostly because game engines are simply not build to use jpg files. Many use DDS textures because of the compression settings, making the textures more suited for gameplay use, rendering lower quality verisions the farther away from it you are for example, also know as mipmapping. With JPG, you don't get any mipmapping.

As for the UV channel thing, when you create a UV map, there are different channels for it. For example Unreal engine uses channel 1 for textures, and channel 2 for shadow maps.

You might have just accidentaly put the UV map on the second UV channel instead of the first, HPL does not use channel 2 and that would result in your old bad UV's being imported instead.

Oh... yeah but Now I made my trample steam, it's finished. I made them in 5 parts, and I added like, 2/3 textures per part. but Export doesn't work. Because I get error Sad
I used dds for every textures this time, buit it still doesn't work.. I really don't know why!
I tried what you said,
and it worked, I opened it up in new scene, all the texture were there.
Now, I have 2 pics, one how it looks like in the modelview, WITHOUT textures, and oen in maya. btw, if I put all the textures (.dds) in the file where the .dae file is, it gives me an error in modelview, Couldn't load (diffirent picture names.DDS)
I really can't export it somehow, but I have all the settings good, Btw, some objects are even not there...

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 253.97 KB / Downloads: 92)
.jpg   After.jpg (Size: 340.65 KB / Downloads: 94)
06-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Find