Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse Freezes at Character Profile Screen
deswin Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Mouse Freezes at Character Profile Screen

Re Amnesia: The Dark Descent

My friend recently bought this game for me as a gift. It loaded OK, but when I try to play it gets to the screen where it asks for a new character Profile and then the mouse freezes up and will not move. Sound does not seem to be affected.

I am using Windows 7
NVidia-GeForce 6200 graphics card (PCI-e)
USB mouse
CPU=Intel Dual Core 3.22Ghz

I have tried the following:
(1) Replaced the SDL.dll file ver. 1.2.14.0 with ver. 1.2.15.0
(1a) Replaced the SDL.dll file with ver. 1.2.13.0
(2) Disabled display scaling
(3) Changed mouse from USB to old-style cable mouse
(4) Updated with 1.2 and 1.3.1 patches
(5) attempted a work-around by using ALT / TAB
(6) Changed from full screen to window mode
(7) Tried using several different display resolutions

Nothing solved the problem.

Next. I tried loading the game onto my older computer, still on WIN XP-SP3, which also uses NVidia-GeForce 6200 but AGP, not PCIe. (CPU=Intel Dual Core 2.7Ghz, USB mouse) Same problem. Tried all of the same fixes listed above, but with no effect.
06-19-2015, 11:26 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Mouse Freezes at Character Profile Screen

It almost certainly has to do with the ancient graphics card and not the mouse or the library responsible for it. Nvidia 6-series are the borderline for Amnesia and even it works, the performance won't be good. Make sure you have the latest gpu drivers installed and try again.
06-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Find
Unregistered

(06-19-2015, 11:34 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: It almost certainly has to do with the ancient graphics card and not the mouse or the library responsible for it. Nvidia 6-series are the borderline for Amnesia and even it works, the performance won't be good. Make sure you have the latest gpu drivers installed and try again.

Yes, I have installed the latest gpu drivers from NVidia's website. It made no difference. On the Minimum Requirements section of the game package it says "ATI Radeon X1000 or NVidia GeForce 6 video card." Since my card is nVidia 6200, I would think the game ought to work with it. If the game was made to work with that card when first released, it should still work with it, no?
06-19-2015, 11:44 PM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

That depends, the game has been updated multiple times since 2010. Also, contrary to the newer Amnesia A Machine for Pigs, The Dark Descent listed the bare minimum requirements and those are usually hit & miss based on driver support, card configurations etc. The GeForce 6 basically means hign-end 6-series, 6200 is very low end even for such old cards.

Anyway, after the freeze occurs close the game and attach HPL.log as mentioned at the Troubleshooting Guide, Problem X.
06-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Find