Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Morse Code in Overture
Pan Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Morse Code in Overture

When I pick up the radio in the communications room there is a line of dialog at the bottom of the screen mentioning beeps. I'm guessing you are supposed to hear morse code at this point, but it doesn't play. I've had no problem with music or sound effects until this point. Am I missing something?
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Find
Porcupine
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Morse Code in Overture

(10-29-2009, 10:06 PM)Pan Wrote: When I pick up the radio in the communications room there is a line of dialog at the bottom of the screen mentioning beeps. I'm guessing you are supposed to hear morse code at this point, but it doesn't play. I've had no problem with music or sound effects until this point. Am I missing something?

I experience the same. In fact, I was just about to post the same question. I do find the following in my hpl.log file:

Quote::
WARNING: Could not find language file category ''
WARNING: Can't find sound 'walk_generic_hard' (may also be due too many sounds playing).
WARNING: Can't find sound 'lm_morse_short' (may also be due too many sounds playing).
ERROR: Couldn't play sound 'lm_morse_short' for sound entity LongMorse
WARNING: Can't find sound 'lm_morse_short' (may also be due too many sounds playing).
Loading collada for 'maps/level01_07_lead_mine_shafts_A.dae' took: 749 ms
:
10-30-2009, 08:04 PM
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I think, if I recall correctly that you can fix the too many sounds playing problem by editing your settings.cfg file that is located in home/Library/Preferences/Frictional Games/..

Search for the line that starts with <Sound and then I can't recall exactly but either you set
UseThreading="false" or you set values for MaxMonoChannelsHint="0" MaxStereoChannelsHint="0", 0 means auto but if you specify perhaps 12 for Mono and 2 for Stereo that could do it.
10-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Website Find
Porcupine
Unregistered

I have changed

<Sound Volume="1.000000" UseSoundHardware="true" MaxSoundChannels="32" StreamUpdateFreq="10" UseThreading="true" MaxMonoChannelsHint="0" MaxStereoChannelsHint="0" />

in various ways as you suggested, but even with

<Sound Volume="1.000000" UseSoundHardware="true" MaxSoundChannels="10" StreamUpdateFreq="10" UseThreading="false" MaxMonoChannelsHint="8" MaxStereoChannelsHint="2" />

there is no morse beeping to be heard. Then I tried other sounds from the directory
/Applications/Penumbra Collection/Overture/sounds/lead_mine
and that seemed to work:
mv lm_morse_short1.ogg lm_morse_short1.ogg.orig
cp lm_gen_light_on1.ogg lm_morse_short1.ogg
mv lm_morse_long1.ogg lm_morse_long1.ogg.orig
cp lm_digger_start1.ogg lm_morse_long1.ogg
chmod a+r *
Now I do hear noises from the radio. For some reason the morse ogg-files won't play?!
That is weird. What other sounds have I missed in the game so far??

BTW, I'm using an iMac with Snow Leopard.
10-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Pan Offline

Threads: 1

I've tried editing the settings.cfg file in the various ways mentioned but have had no success. Could the Use Hardware option be part of the problem? Its ON and I can't turn it off using the in-game options menu or by changing the UseSoundHardware="true" to ="false." Whenever I restart the game it's always back on. It was off in the demo version I downloaded before buying the Penumbra Collection and the options menu mentions turning it off my fix some sound problems.

I'd like to give it up and enjoy the rest of the game (which has been great up until this point), but I'm afraid of something like this happening again.

Any more ideas on how to fix this?
11-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

From the previous post it sounds very strange, either the sound files are corrupt or the permissions might be wrong. After the "chmod a+r *" did you try to use the original files again? Try to repair the disk permissions or even to "chmod a+r *" the whole penumbra folder.
11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Website Find
Porcupine
Unregistered

(11-01-2009, 11:53 AM)jens Wrote: From the previous post it sounds very strange, either the sound files are corrupt or the permissions might be wrong. After the "chmod a+r *" did you try to use the original files again? Try to repair the disk permissions or even to "chmod a+r *" the whole penumbra folder.
The original permissions were correct (I did check before renaming). The chmod was necessary because I don't normally run as an administrator's account, and cp'ing a file otherwise results in non-world-readable files. I just checked that all files are indeed world readable, so permissions were not the problem...
11-01-2009, 06:24 PM
kccricket Offline

Threads: 0

I, also, did not hear any Morse Code.

Permissions seem to be fine:
$ ls -l lm_morse*
-rw-r--r--  1 kccricket  staff   310 Feb 14  2007 lm_morse_long.snt
-rw-r--r--  1 kccricket  staff  8319 Jan 27  2007 lm_morse_long1.ogg
-rw-r--r--  1 kccricket  staff   311 Feb 14  2007 lm_morse_short.snt
-rw-r--r--  1 kccricket  staff  6555 Jan 27  2007 lm_morse_short1.ogg

And they do appear to be valid OGG Vorbis files:
$ file lm_morse*
lm_morse_long.snt:   ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
lm_morse_long1.ogg:  Ogg data, Vorbis audio, mono, 44100 Hz, ~239920 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I
lm_morse_short.snt:  ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
lm_morse_short1.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, mono, 44100 Hz, ~239920 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I

If I open lm_morse_long1.ogg in VLC, I hear a beep. If I open lm_morse_short1.ogg in VLC, I hear nothing.

To exclude the possibility of corruption, what are the MD5 checksums of the sound files in the master copy at Frictional Games? Here are mine:
$ md5 lm_morse*
MD5 (lm_morse_long.snt) = dfe8b42a7360ecdaae832f26a2130068
MD5 (lm_morse_long1.ogg) = f8abd874f5ea33fb6cac813f1eb8f81c
MD5 (lm_morse_short.snt) = 7bb930dcdd5f00b0211624686dd642ad
MD5 (lm_morse_short1.ogg) = 7aade3f3b9e262dd03978d72b04bc2b9
11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Find
slcrubes Offline

Threads: 0

Any update on this? I also do not hear any morse code sounds playing. Finding the code online is easy enough, but I was wondering why only certain people have this problem.
12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(12-08-2009, 08:35 PM)slcrubes Wrote: Finding the code online is easy enough, but I was wondering why only certain people have this problem.

Probably bought from different places.
Like someone bought it from D2D and someone from somewhere else, and they might have some problems with their release of the game. Like the Steam version had some problems and forums started to flood with technical problem questions.

Thought, the morse code is only once in the game, so you can keep playing now. Tongue:

12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Website Find