Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Older Gamers - Hands up
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
RE: Older Gamers - Hands up

That is exactly what I'm talking about. We should not permit profit in the game industry. Companies shouldn't be allowed to make any money above the production cost. So if a game costs 10 million to make, they can only sell the product until they've made 10 million, +-0. The game could of course still be produced, but the profit would go to the country's government instead.

Or just nationalize the industry as stated in my previous post.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2015, 10:11 PM by i3670.)
08-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

There are some really good points being mentioned here.

I have friends who work in the gaming industry and trust me, they don't do it for the money. It's not the best paid, unless you're higher up in the ranks.

It's only the management who make the big bucks and ironically they seem to be the ones who often alter the direction of so many games.

My friends would always say their games started off with great creative ideas and then the bosses would hold 'meetings' where they basically deform the official idea in to what they would consider a cash cow. It's all very sad.

I think when you look back at the gaming industry 15 years ago, there was more energy and excitement in creating a game. It felt more frontier than capital investment. Sure, money was still a big thing, but the industry as a whole feels a little soulless to me. For one thing when did the mass bitching of the gaming community become so prevalent? It's like people are becoming entitled and spoilt.

Am I wrong here?
08-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(08-25-2015, 10:27 PM)MrSteve Wrote: There are some really good points being mentioned here.

I have friends who work in the gaming industry and trust me, they don't do it for the money. It's not the best paid, unless you're higher up in the ranks.

It's only the management who make the big bucks and ironically they seem to be the ones who often alter the direction of so many games.

My friends would always say their games started off with great creative ideas and then the bosses would hold 'meetings' where they basically deform the official idea in to what they would consider a cash cow. It's all very sad.

I think when you look back at the gaming industry 15 years ago, there was more energy and excitement in creating a game. It felt more frontier than capital investment. Sure, money was still a big thing, but the industry as a whole feels a little soulless to me. For one thing when did the mass bitching of the gaming community become so prevalent? It's like people are becoming entitled and spoilt.

Am I wrong here?

[Image: tumblr_mejnpu26Rm1rqfhi2o1_500.gif]
08-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(08-25-2015, 09:50 PM)i3670 Wrote:
(08-25-2015, 10:10 PM)i3670 Wrote: I also wonder this. I mean, why aren't games free? Clearly for the purpose of making money. What we should do is perform a bolshevik revolution against the game industry and nationalize all gaming companies and have all games funded with tax-payer money. As a result, all games will free and the only ones that will be attracted to the game industry would be the true artists, because true artists don't do art for money. I think of the great games such as the Gothic series or Risen and so on, they should be free because they are the purest expression of art, both in gameplay, story and narrative.

Nationalize the Gaming Industry!
That is exactly what I'm talking about. We should not permit profit in the game industry. Companies shouldn't be allowed to make any money above the production cost. So if a game costs 10 million to make, they can only sell the product until they've made 10 million, +-0. The game could of course still be produced, but the profit would go to the country's government instead.

Or just nationalize the industry as stated in my previous post.
Are you being sarcastic or serious?
08-26-2015, 01:33 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

This thread topic is quickly turning from older gamers into games industry profit. If all you peeps want to talk about profit in the games industry go make another thread for it. Stop derailing this thread from the original topic which is regarding older gamers.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-26-2015, 03:17 AM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Sounds legit. Back on topic.

Are there anymore older gamers out there, or younger folks who enjoy classic games?

Oh and thank you Slanderous for the most helpful GIF. You live up to your name and the very definition of a Whippersnapper (Just playing with you, kid).
08-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

Mancala's pretty classic, I like that one

08-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Wow, now that's a seriously classic game and probably the oldest to be mentioned, by some way. Wink
08-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Twentytwo here, was gaming with my father since I was 2, mostly PC stuff but I did own an NES, PS1 and original Xbox before completely abandoning the console market.
08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

That's very cool you owned a NES at such a young age. You must have grown up appreciating the classics Smile

Good to know you're on the good ship PC though.

For me, my first venture in to gaming was the Commodore 64. I remember the first time I managed to progam a sequence where the background would change in to 8 difference colours....a whole 8!

After that, it was the Master System, followed by inheriting my sisters NES. From then on I stayed with Nintendo and didn't stop until I got a PS2.

I bought my first PC in 1998 and fell in love with PC gaming ever since. I couldn't live without my PC now.
08-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Find