Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exporting Blender Models to HPL2
The MasterNater Offline

Threads: 3
Exporting Blender Models to HPL2

Hello, everyone.

So I've been working with HPL2 for quite a while now so I decided it was time I try to make some custom models. Nothing complicated, just things like walls.

However, I'm having a bit of a struggle exporting the models, none the less getting them to even have a texture in Blender. I've followed all the tutorials that I could find, and none of them seem very consistent and aren't working for me. Even if I try the same method over and over again, it usually ends up either not being textured in blender, crashing the model viewer, or appearing in the level editor as pink.

I am aware of some of the simpler things, like having to use TGA and DDS files and keeping them at resolutions like 256 x 256 or 512 x 512, etc. but it would be nice to have a detailed step-by-step guide that is fairly up-to-date.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
09-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: Exporting Blender Models to HPL2

I was in your shoes until this came around. Short and to the point. Cool
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2015, 06:31 PM by A.M Team.)
09-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Find
The MasterNater Offline

(09-12-2015, 06:31 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote:

I was in your shoes until this came around. Short and to the point. Cool

Sorry for the late reply!

But I followed the tutorial. Unfortunately, it only seems to work when I use the generated cube map texture, like the tutorial shows. When I try to used my own textures, it still shows up as pink once exported. Please help!
09-26-2015, 12:16 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

When you have your texture, make sure it is NOT from your model folder, if you tick 'Copy' it copy's the texture without you doing anything. Also, make sure your texture name is the same as the texture name in Blender.
09-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Find
The MasterNater Offline

(09-26-2015, 08:07 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: When you have your texture, make sure it is NOT from your model folder, if you tick 'Copy' it copy's the texture without you doing anything. Also, make sure your texture name is the same as the texture name in Blender.

I just tried your advice, and unfortunately, it's still not working. Any other ideas of what might be going wrong? Is there a way you can make a video tutorial of exactly how you do it?
09-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

(09-26-2015, 05:27 PM)The MasterNater Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 08:07 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: When you have your texture, make sure it is NOT from your model folder, if you tick 'Copy' it copy's the texture without you doing anything. Also, make sure your texture name is the same as the texture name in Blender.

I just tried your advice, and unfortunately, it's still not working. Any other ideas of what might be going wrong? Is there a way you can make a video tutorial of exactly how you do it?

My Steam Amnesia seems to not be working at the moment so I can't actually help you, just experiment and see what happens. That's what I did before I saw this.
09-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Find
The MasterNater Offline

(09-26-2015, 05:39 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 05:27 PM)The MasterNater Wrote:

My Steam Amnesia seems to not be working at the moment so I can't actually help you, just experiment and see what happens. That's what I did before I saw this.

I think I may have found my problem. All I needed to do was use the material editor and manually assign a texture for it because for some reason Blender wasn't doing so on its own. For now, it seems to be working. I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems from now on, but if I do, I'll ask. Thanks for the help man!
09-27-2015, 02:33 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

(09-27-2015, 02:33 AM)The MasterNater Wrote: I think I may have found my problem. All I needed to do was use the material editor and manually assign a texture for it because for some reason Blender wasn't doing so on its own. For now, it seems to be working. I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems from now on, but if I do, I'll ask. Thanks for the help man!

No problemo, Raymo! Big Grin
09-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Find