Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ask Anything About SOMA
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Ask Anything About SOMA

Regarding the voice actors, was FG involved in the casting process? I'm not very keen on Simon's voice (sorry Sad), so I was wondering how was the process of choosing the voice actor who plays Simon. Were there any particular "voice characteristics" you were looking for?

Will there be different accents in the game? (British, characters with foreign accents, etc.). I'm a sucker for accents Blush

Thanks!

09-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

1. Simon appears to have a flashlight of some sort in many of the gameplay videos. Will this require batteries/recharging?

2. Is there a sprint limiter, or can Simon run indefinitely?

3. Does Simon have a journal/notebook? There are a lot of notes and documents in the environment and it's currently unclear whether or not their content is recorded somewhere to be read later by the player.

09-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

(09-17-2015, 07:31 PM)SteveR Wrote:
(09-17-2015, 07:17 PM)KommissarK Wrote: I see that many of the doors are the mechanical/sliding type. Will it be possible to lock these doors, and if so, what should we look for in order to do so?
Yes, but not all doors can be locked behind you. Though there are definitely sections in the game where it's a good idea to do so depending on your play style.

1)How many play styles will there be beside stealth and run?

2)Can Simon disable creatures in some way?
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2015, 08:33 PM by Radiance.)
09-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Questions...

(1) This might be an apple to orange comparison, but from AtDD to SOMA. How much would you say peformance-wise has Physics improved on? My computer before GeForce GTX 760 and would chug down into the low single digit FPs for a few moments when I had more than 70+ bricks falling down and interacting with themselves.

(2a) Is their a "cloth/physics simulation" built into the game like your ragdolls, but "less performance expensive" than it? (The tubes that you disconnect from power sources that kill the robots come to mind)

(2b) Can we attach these physics interacting objects to other objects that move or are they fixed to a single location? (The tubes again)

(3) Through scripts, can the Inventory from AtDD be replicated in SOMA?

(4) Have any of AtDD's Editor's bugs and inconsistencies been fixed?

A lot of them were missing Menu Items that the others had (Some had to be closed through the ESC key).

They would crash often due to bugs. (Importing models)

I would find name duplicates of imported models in the Level Editor's property menu at the right. (Had to be careful about deleting and naming things)

(5) Can we re-size/shift around elements of the Editors, I work in 4k.

(6) Are their more keyboard shortcuts for the Editors? Is their a way to reconfigure shortcuts for the Editors?
09-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

(09-17-2015, 08:20 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Regarding the voice actors, was FG involved in the casting process? I'm not very keen on Simon's voice (sorry Sad), so I was wondering how was the process of choosing the voice actor who plays Simon. Were there any particular "voice characteristics" you were looking for?

Will there be different accents in the game? (British, characters with foreign accents, etc.). I'm a sucker for accents Blush

Thanks!
Voices are extremely hard to nail and some people will always have issues. I persoanlly think that Simon voice works a lot better when you play it yourself from the start for a couple of reasons I cannot say due to spoilers. We were looking for "average joe" and the problem with this voice is that it is not as universally accepted / enjoyed as "action hero". I really hope the voice doesn't ruin it for you though! Pretty much all of the people who have gotten through the full game said they liked the voice in the end.

Accents: Yes!
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2015, 08:38 PM by Thomas.)
09-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

(09-17-2015, 08:22 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: 1. Simon appears to have a flashlight of some sort in many of the gameplay videos. Will this require batteries/recharging?

2. Is there a sprint limiter, or can Simon run indefinitely?

3. Does Simon have a journal/notebook? There are a lot of notes and documents in the environment and it's currently unclear whether or not their content is recorded somewhere to be read later by the player.
1) He will acquire a light source at some point. Don't wanna explain how it works.
2) You can generally run as much as you like, but here are some very good reasons to be careful at times.
3) No notebook.
09-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

(09-17-2015, 08:27 PM)brus Wrote: 1)How many play styles will there be beside stealth and run?

2)Can Simon disable creatures in some way?
1) The biggest thing with encounters is not just about figuring out "hide or run?", but to understand how they work. Cannot go into more details without spoiling.
2) In some cases you can use the environment to your advantage, but you won't be going on any killing sprees.
09-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

(09-17-2015, 08:29 PM)Rapture Wrote: (3) Through scripts, can the Inventory from AtDD be replicated in SOMA?

(4) Have any of AtDD's Editor's bugs and inconsistencies been fixed?

(5) Can we re-size/shift around elements of the Editors, I work in 4k.

(6) Are their more keyboard shortcuts for the Editors? Is their a way to reconfigure shortcuts for the Editors?
3) Yes.
4) I hope so Smile
5) Afraid not.
6) More shortcuts, cannot add your own. But can request and we will try to add!
09-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

Will you be able to talk about sales again like you did after ATDD was released? When AAMFP was released I really missed your blogposts on how the launch went, etc.
09-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Is it easier to script with HPL3 than HPL2 and is it more customizable?
09-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Find