Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Known Issues with the Level Editor
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Known Issues with the Level Editor

This is a little weird (model is 90* off from where the box says it is).
Spoiler below!

[Image: what_by_rueppells_fox-d9avm2d.png]

And am I the only one who has previews that look like they have illumination maps attached to them?

I imagine that's a pretty quick fix in the model editor that I could do myself, just want to know whether this is universal. If I find any other models that do weird things like this, I'll just update this post :)

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 11:57 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
09-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I've got a few early mentions of the new editors.

1. Is it possible to improve the time it takes for the editor to boot? The HPL2 ones took about 5 seconds, the HPL3 level editor takes more like 2 minutes. Why? I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

2. Also, I noticed you can no longer zoom using the mouse wheel while ALT is being held. Why? Can this be added back? I hold ALT when I navigate the camera, and so using ALT to rotate, but then have to release it to zoom is really awkward. It's not like holding it and using the mouse wheel has a different function so why was it removed?

3. Another thing is the scale mode (E). Scaling using the center piece (to do all directions) seems buggy and makes the object extremely large while dragging in any direction. I can't seem to scale it down using this method.
Edit: This was apparently only the case with a light object, not an entity. Bug?
Edit 2: Actually... It seems to work now... Hmm...

By the way, I also noticed that the editor now uses the system's pointer. Thank you. Makes everything slightly more comfortable.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015, 05:38 PM by Mudbill.)
09-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19

1. Is it happening every time you start the editor? I admit it would make sense the first time since it would be building indices and stuff like that (and the first time that takes a while since it hasn't ever been done) - gonna add some visual feedback anyway.

2. Oh, good catch. The camera controllers have been pretty much rewritten and that might have slipped.

3. Might be bit weird to get used to, moving out of the circle means scaling up, moving towards the center means scaling down. It maybe lacks proper visual feedback as well.

EOF
09-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

It does seem like the editor takes long only the first time. After starting it once, a reboot of the editor will take about 5-8 seconds (slightly longer than HPL2, but that's understandable). Though, HPL2 took about equal time to boot first and second times, whereas there's a drastic difference in HPL3. Does it possibly get better over time, as modules are perhaps cached?

09-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19

The HPL2 editor creates the object indices when selecting some object list (statics or entities) the first time (there is a little hiccup).
HPL3 should be fine after booting up the first time, but I agree some progress window would help a lot on that first time. At least just to let the user know "hey, I'm not broken" Smile

EOF
09-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I don't quite remember (it's been some days and I only tested it briefly) but I think restarting the PC caused the level editor to spend minutes to boot once again. It seemed like it would require to allocate some memory or something the first time after a boot.

Though, I should probably test more before I say for sure. Thanks so far.

09-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Been experiencing this weird bug when using the 'create on surface' feature, It only happens occasionally and I'm not sure of the cause but as you can see it stops when I uncheck the 'create on surface' box. Maybe the video explains it better.
Spoiler below!
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/5SUaRE16DlU[/video]
Also some entities in the character section doesn't render in game, even though they're clearly there in the editor (only happens with "creatures" so far).

- Inactive account -
09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

@Mugbill - I have seen the same issue as you with scaling. For whatever reason, when I ever clicked or dragged the handles. The size of the object would multiply by 2.

Restarting the level editor fixed it, but I'm not sure yet what is causing it.
09-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Now that you mention it, I probably did restart the editor between the tests I did.

09-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Found out why objects were doubling in scale.

If you change the "Snap sep." from the default 0.25 to another value. The object can increase in size or decrease by a factor when your scaling it. (Clicking or dragging the handles will trigger this)

Examples...

0.001 = Reduces by 1/4 of the original size
0.125 = Doubles the original size
0.5 = Reduces by 1/2 of the original size
1 = Reduces by 1/4 of the original size

Only affects objects when "Toggle Grid Snapping" is on.

I only see this affecting Scaling, not on Transform or Rotation... yet.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 07:53 PM by Rapture.)
09-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Find