Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta
KommissarK Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta

If your moral code includes not shutting down anything more sophisticated than toasters, how the hell did you make it to Delta?

I mean in all seriousness, why didn't you state your frustration at the first time you have to unplug a robot and there is absolutely no other choice? Why is it at Delta that you are now upset? Because you think there might be an alternate solution?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 04:24 PM by KommissarK.)
09-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Find
ArioDargeto Offline

Threads: 7

I am willing to bet anything that OP is just trying to make a fuss for attention. In fact, there is a good chance they don't even own the game and just watched it on YouTube.

(09-24-2015, 04:16 PM)KommissarK Wrote: If your moral code includes not shutting down anything more sophisticated than toasters, how the hell did you make it to Delta?

I mean in all seriousness, why didn't you state your frustration at the first time you have to unplug a robot and there is absolutely no other choice? Why is it at Delta that you are now upset? Because you think there might be an alternate solution?

^^^ This proves OP is 100% trolling, I'd they really felt so strongly this way they never would have made it out of Upsilon.

Simon: "Are... Are you human...?"
Mockingbird: "Did my body give it away?" CLANK CLANK
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 04:36 PM by ArioDargeto.)
09-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Find
Sirandar Offline

Threads: 1

(09-24-2015, 04:16 PM)KommissarK Wrote: If your moral code includes not shutting down anything more sophisticated than toasters, how the hell did you make it to Delta?

Earlier choices were problematic too:
Spoiler below!
I had to unplug or torture two robot/human hybrids earlier in the game. I hated doing the first one with the switch and tried my best to inflict minimal pain and tried to save it and checked after whether I could revive it. Of course I could not ... that would be empowering for the player. At this point in the game my character had no clear idea of what was happening. It was an ugly forced dichotomous choice and my opinion of the developer dropped.

The second one was being forced to live through parasitism by electronic infestation and may have been in that state of presumed suffering for 100+ years. I hated pulling the plugs out but would have done so no matter what the plot outcome.

Choosing to use the stun gun on two non-combative free living robot life forms to get a stupid chip is totally another type of choice ..... a stupid forced choice with little clear benefit. At this point the player knows pretty much what the situation is.

Call me a troll or a hater ..... makes no difference to me.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 07:47 PM by Sirandar.)
09-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Find
BrokenJadeMirror Offline

Threads: 0

If you want to make the choice easier:
Spoiler below!
we know that the smaller & cuter & more helpful robot isn't actually sentient (i.e. a human-robot) but rather a full AI that doesn't have a consciousness. As such, destroying it isn't really killing anything but rather more like taking apart a computer to use some of its component parts.

To be immersed in the world is to take a choice, though. The fact that you can step back and not make a choice is an immediate breaking of the fourth wall, removing yourself from Simon's virtual dilemma. Simon doesn't like this any more than you do and he says so. Going on is the only option for him though.
09-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Find
Sirandar Offline

(09-24-2015, 07:14 PM)BrokenJadeMirror Wrote: If you want to make the choice easier:
Spoiler below!
we know that the smaller & cuter & more helpful robot isn't actually sentient (i.e. a human-robot) but rather a full AI that doesn't have a consciousness. As such, destroying it isn't really killing anything but rather more like taking apart a computer to use some of its component parts.

To be immersed in the world is to take a choice, though. The fact that you can step back and not make a choice is an immediate breaking of the fourth wall, removing yourself from Simon's virtual dilemma. Simon doesn't like this any more than you do and he says so. Going on is the only option for him though.

Thanks for a thoughtful post .... I was uncertain about one robot and my Simon decided it was helpful and may or may not be sentient = no aggressive action.

It is hard to show sentience .... easy to hide it.

Spoiler below
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spoiler below!
Actually the little white robot was a fascinating addition to the game that posed many questions for me. Why was it helping me, its presumed function probably wasn't breaking into air locks, why was it doing it? Is it the same white robot or different ones, or one distributed AI? Why does it help me with some doors and not others ... does it know more than me about whats going on. At this point it is risky for Simon to assume anything
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 07:46 PM by Sirandar.)
09-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Quote:Sigh ..... I was hoping somebody had an alternate course of action at this point in the game .... sadly they do not.

Some games are linear. deal with it

Quote:When you make a thoughtful game, thoughtful people are going to play it. They get upset when you force them to violate their moral code for a stupid junk item.

Your moral code has not been violated, because it's a game. It's make believe. I'm sorry it hasn't sunk in for you yet, but No real robot is actually being harmed. deal with it

Quote:If you want to look at a similar compelling game that doesn't violate the player see: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Then go play that game instead....We all thank you for buying Soma and contributing to the development of future games by Frictional.

Quote:Technically, I guess I would be classified as a hater in this particular case

No, your classified as unreasonable, childish, and self entitled.

Quote: .... but my hate is directed at an extremely specific aspect and situation of the game because the developers go out of their way to force me to break my moral code .... all for a stupid disposable item that they could have placed somewhere.

No one has forced you to do anything...you bought the game of your own volition...spent your own money on it. Also, If you were on the development team you could have suggested they place the item elsewhere. Fortunately, you were not. so deal with it

Quote:Frictional really had 3 choices at this point in the game:

1) Do it exactly as they did it
2) Allow the player a alternate choice of action for attaining the item
3) Give the player a choice to end the game on their own terms preferably in a satisfying way.

Given choice 2 or 3, I wouldn't be posting here ....

The test tells more about the tester than the testee ....

Game deleted, future games from Frictional ignored. Sad, so much promise.

Does that mean you will eventually stop posting around here?

Quote: 2) Enslavement

You have never, in your life, worn a set of chains or been enslaved...you're being over dramatic.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 08:01 PM by Noisecode.)
09-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Spoiler below!
(09-24-2015, 07:58 PM)Noisecode Wrote:
Quote:Sigh ..... I was hoping somebody had an alternate course of action at this point in the game .... sadly they do not.

Some games are linear. deal with it

Quote:When you make a thoughtful game, thoughtful people are going to play it. They get upset when you force them to violate their moral code for a stupid junk item.

Your moral code has not been violated, because it's a game. It's make believe. I'm sorry it hasn't sunk in for you yet, but No real robot is actually being harmed. deal with it

Quote:If you want to look at a similar compelling game that doesn't violate the player see: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Then go play that game instead....We all thank you for buying Soma and contributing to future games by frictional.

Quote:Technically, I guess I would be classified as a hater in this particular case

No, your classified as unreasonable, childish, and self entitled.

Quote: .... but my hate is directed at an extremely specific aspect and situation of the game because the developers go out of their way to force me to break my moral code .... all for a stupid disposable item that they could have placed somewhere.

No one has forced you to do anything...you bought the game of your own volition...spent your own money on it. Also, If you were on the development team you could have suggested they place the item elsewhere. Fortunately, you were not. so deal with it

Quote:Frictional really had 3 choices at this point in the game:

1) Do it exactly as they did it
2) Allow the player a alternate choice of action for attaining the item
3) Give the player a choice to end the game on their own terms preferably in a satisfying way.

Given choice 2 or 3, I wouldn't be posting here ....

The test tells more about the tester than the testee ....

Game deleted, future games from Frictional ignored. Sad, so much promise.

Does that mean you will eventually stop posting around here?

Quote: 2) Enslavement

You have never, in your life, worn a set of chains or been enslaved...you're being over dramatic.

rekt
09-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Find
EnDash Offline

Threads: 2

(09-24-2015, 03:13 PM)Sirandar Wrote: If you want to look at a similar compelling game that doesn't violate the player see: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. that game had zero choices. you were walking around solving puzzles and getting flashbacks of stuff you had no control over or visions that had zero impact on the world. and at the end the game FORCES you to uncover everything before showing you a pre-determined cutscene.

your problem with the game isn't that it doesn't provide you with choices, choosing not to kill the robot IS a choice, simon is simply stuck at delta and can't proceed because his moral codes stop him. your problem is that you don't like the choices available to you.

no one is forcing you to like the game, and no one is forcing you to buy future games from FG. that is (ironically enough) your choice!

P.S. you know how sometimes when ill people are in a vegetative state, and the family asks the doctors to "pull the plug"? this game does a great job at asking what's the right thing to do in such situations.
09-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I actually just had to go through this dilemma in the game, it was so dramatic that I actually made a highlight of it. So here's what I did yesterday when I was streaming SOMA:

http://www.twitch.tv/macgyverthehero/v/17472639

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
09-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

(09-24-2015, 09:33 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I actually just had to go through this dilemma in the game, it was so dramatic that I actually made a highlight of it. So here's what I did yesterday when I was streaming SOMA:

http://www.twitch.tv/macgyverthehero/v/17472639

It was definitely a sucky choice to have to make, for sure....and i chose the same as you. We kept playing the game though. because it's a game

But the original poster is behaving as though Frictional games forced him to commit murder and that he is owed a game with branching plot lines and alternate choices.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
09-24-2015, 09:55 PM
Find