Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain in Jar Character from the first trailer Spoiler possibly.
caffeine4671 Offline

Threads: 4
Brain in Jar Character from the first trailer Spoiler possibly.

.jpg   41b3063773e0576a240e7a34c149b044.jpg (Size: 66.34 KB / Downloads: 361) Okay, so I'm aware that what the first teaser showcased wasn't the main character nor was it to be a gameplay section. But do we the player ever learn what his name is or why 'Raznik' and him were taken by
Spoiler below!
WAU to have their brains assimilated by mechanical parts? Were they one of the many failed experiments made by WAU in an attempt to preserve humanity or what? I know the WAU is basically interpreting human life and death in the only way it can (as boolean values) but this has always bothered me.

This trailer was so creepy and interesting and I was just wondering if there's a note somewhere to shed light on this.
Spoiler below!
There's a monster/character name Aker who's motivations are insanity and odd religious ferver, but I can't see him being the culprit behind the brain-in-jar. Regarding the WAU, it's way too bizzare and oddly calculated (in a non-computer like way) the WAU alone to do this. I dunno, maybe it isn't that disconnected and it's more of a 'we needed to make this trailer creepy to get the player interested', kind of like 'Vivarium' seemed alien-like at the time but now can be explained as just them setting the mood and trying to draw us in as an audience. This whole time I thought there was something cool behind Vivarium, but it was really just a twisted piece of machinery assembled by an A.I. that has no clue what sentience means, and Reed was (rightfully)freaking out at seeing a copy of herself. Nothing more nothing less

I'm wondering, has anybody on here done some detective work on notes that you find in game that can shed some light on this? Is there a note in supersecret.rar that explains who the character was/is? Undecided
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 05:33 PM by caffeine4671.)
09-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Brain in Jar Character from the first trailer Spoiler possibly.

(09-25-2015, 05:33 PM)caffeine4671 Wrote: Okay, so I'm aware that what the first teaser showcased wasn't the main character nor was it to be a gameplay section. But do we the player ever learn what his name is or why 'Raznik' and him were taken by
Spoiler below!
WAU to have their brains assimilated by mechanical parts? Were they one of the many failed experiments made by WAU in an attempt to preserve humanity or what? I know the WAU is basically interpreting human life and death in the only way it can (as boolean values) but this has always bothered me.

This trailer was so creepy and interesting and I was just wondering if there's a note somewhere to shed light on this.
Spoiler below!
There's a monster/character name Aker who's motivations are insanity and odd religious ferver, but I can't see him being the culprit behind the brain-in-jar. Regarding the WAU, it's way too bizzare and oddly calculated (in a non-computer like way) the WAU alone to do this. I dunno, maybe it isn't that disconnected and it's more of a 'we needed to make this trailer creepy to get the player interested', kind of like 'Vivarium' seemed alien-like at the time but now can be explained as just them setting the mood and trying to draw us in as an audience. This whole time I thought there was something cool behind Vivarium, but it was really just a twisted piece of machinery assembled by an A.I. that has no clue what sentience means, and Reed was (rightfully)freaking out at seeing a copy of herself. Nothing more nothing less

I'm wondering, has anybody on here done some detective work on notes that you find in game that can shed some light on this? Is there a note in supersecret.rar that explains who the character was/is? Undecided

From what we have heard / gathered that scene was made specifically for the demonstration and does not appear or is referenced anywhere in the game, nor in the secret rar file

HOWEVER.... apparently the assests for the weird spider drone that crawls off the wall are still in the game files (but the creature itself does not appear) as are the odd WAU / Giger wall growths that you have seen.

Further evidence that the developers had possibly not made a decision yet on Soma's setting at the time that video was made is the inclusion of what looks to be concrete / plaster walls that the character breaks down to proceed. Construction like that would probably be a poor choice in the ocean depths. Also, if you examine the contents of the Supersecret.rar file that came with your game it has behind the scenes screen shots that indicate a direction for Soma's setting and tone that was never taken.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 06:20 PM by Noisecode.)
09-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Find
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7

I would loved to saw this ingame... Like a scene where u scripted get knocked out and had bad dream or WAU conflicts you while fisting it. Such an awesome scene wasted :c

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
09-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

(09-25-2015, 06:19 PM)Noisecode Wrote:
(09-25-2015, 05:33 PM)caffeine4671 Wrote: Okay, so I'm aware that what the first teaser showcased wasn't the main character nor was it to be a gameplay section. But do we the player ever learn what his name is or why 'Raznik' and him were taken by
Spoiler below!

Spoiler below!

From what we have heard / gathered that scene was made specifically for the demonstration and does not appear or is referenced anywhere in the game, nor in the secret rar file

HOWEVER.... apparently the assests for the weird spider drone that crawls off the wall are still in the game files (but the creature itself does not appear) as are the odd WAU / Giger wall growths that you have seen.

Further evidence that the developers had possibly not made a decision yet on Soma's setting at the time that video was made is the inclusion of what looks to be concrete / plaster walls that the character breaks down to proceed. Construction like that would probably be a poor choice in the ocean depths. Also, if you examine the contents of the Supersecret.rar file that came with your game it has behind the scenes screen shots that indicate a direction for Soma's setting and tone that was never taken.

I knew it wasn't ever to appear and that it was constructed, but it's a damn shamn that it was cut entirely from the plot/story as well. And the more I look at it the more I have to agree with your alternate-direction theory. We have a date listed for the supposed film 'Depth' as not being in 2103 but in but in the 2020, contradicting the date in the game, further solidifying that not every part of the story was set in stone. This date actually makes the brain-in-jar-demo make more sense if you put that together with the old low-tech surroundings and a door that opens non-automatically (and concrete walls).

Shame, shame, shame! Here's to getting my hopes up that something cool referencing it would be included. One of the developers did say that it was a different character other than Simon, so was kind of interested to see if there was a note.

Oh well!
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 06:31 PM by caffeine4671.)
09-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

Quote: We have a date listed for the supposed film 'Depth' as not being in 2103 but in but in the 2020, contradicting the date in the game, further solidifying that not every part of the story was set in stone. This date actually makes the brain-in-jar-demo make more sense if you put that together with the old low-tech surroundings and a door that opens non-automatically (and concrete walls).

Wait a minute....where did you see this? What sparse information that is available on Depth indicates it is supposed to take place 11 months after the comet struck, which would be sometime around 2102 ish

[Image: signature015.jpg]
09-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

(09-25-2015, 06:21 PM)Filizitas Wrote: I would loved to saw this ingame... Like a scene where u scripted get knocked out and had bad dream or WAU conflicts you while fisting it. Such an awesome scene wasted :c

Ah, as would I have :C All they really would have to do is update the graphical assets and maybe make the door more futuristic and congruent with the time. I was half-expecting to find the corpse of a man with the top of his head missing and replaced with a reciever, maybe blackbox into it and here audio from the gameplay trailer. That wouldn've been a nice easter egg at least.

(09-25-2015, 06:33 PM)Noisecode Wrote:
Quote: We have a date listed for the supposed film 'Depth' as not being in 2103 but in but in the 2020, contradicting the date in the game, further solidifying that not every part of the story was set in stone. This date actually makes the brain-in-jar-demo make more sense if you put that together with the old low-tech surroundings and a door that opens non-automatically (and concrete walls).

Wait a minute....where did you see this? What sparse information that is available on Depth indicates it is supposed to take place 11 months after the comet struck, which would be sometime around 2102 ish

In a discussion about depth. As well as the info portal site, though they might've corrected it now that we have the right information. That being said, this information was gathered by looking at the name of the comet (apophis)and the year that it's predicted to pass by, which is in the 2020s. At least at the time.

https://web.archive.org/web/201310281849...llery.html

Also, look at the gallery then and then the gallery now

http://www.somagame.com/gallery.html

The question is: is what would have been in Soma better than what it ultimately became?
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 07:14 PM by caffeine4671.)
09-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Find
1minus1is0 Offline

Threads: 3

I like to head-canon it this way: That scene takes place hundreds of years in the future after WAU has terraformed the earth, and the whole room is a construction intended to ease a newly created persona into its new life so it doesn't go nuts. Kind of like artificially replicating Simon's experience to produce a more stable persona in the end. The means of doing so seem like something an unstable non-human AI would do.
09-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

(09-25-2015, 07:18 PM)1minus1is0 Wrote: I like to head-canon it this way: That scene takes place hundreds of years in the future after WAU has terraformed the earth, and the whole room is a construction intended to ease a newly created persona into its new life so it doesn't go nuts. Kind of like artificially replicating Simon's experience to produce a more stable persona in the end. The means of doing so seem like something an unstable non-human AI would do.

That's way more interesting than my head canon!

My head canon has it take place near one of the remaining surface-level-stations of Pathos 2. The characters are lured by the 'frontflesh' (which I'm not sure exists anymore in the canon of soma, as they toned down the horror c.c; )posing as a doctor or technician. Raznik and Nameless both have medical tattoos due to radiation or some shit near the surface of the earth and they want their staff to get shots before going anywhere near the surface. Upon going there of course, the WAU just experiments on them, and they become one of the many experiments that the WAU does to try to create consciouness in chips.
09-25-2015, 07:27 PM
Find
BrokenJadeMirror Offline

Threads: 0

I thought the room in
Spoiler below!
Alpha with the WAU in the middle that can eat your hand was the same room as the end room of the teaser, personally. Just WAU has grown over that particular brain.
09-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

(09-25-2015, 09:02 PM)BrokenJadeMirror Wrote: I thought the room in
Spoiler below!
Alpha with the WAU in the middle that can eat your hand was the same room as the end room of the teaser, personally. Just WAU has grown over that particular brain.

They are a little bit different though, no? At least from what I can tell.

Here's another theory: The character in the teaser is having a dream/hallucination while being assimilated by the WAU. As he's dying, the WAU/structure gel is corrupting his mind, thusly why we see the room around him crumble away to reveal an body-like passageway. Maybe IRL raznik and nameless have structure gel enterign through their nose/ears/orifices and are dying.
09-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Find