Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Launch
Umbra Domini Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Exclamation  Can't Launch

Can't launch the game.

When I first got the game, I could launch it just fine, played for a bit, went to bed. Got up the next day and went to get back into the game, and now suddenly it couldn't launch.

The non-steam.exe still worked okay. no steam overlay or achievements or hour tracking, but that was fine. played a bunch, got off.

Decided I wanted my steam exe to work, for all the nifty features steam brings along.

Looked through the troubleshooting guides, updated my drivers, broke everything, still couldn't launch. Rolled my drivers back to the previous version I was using since the latest versions broke everything, everything was still broken, talked on the phone with tech support for around an hour, had to do a complete factory reset on my computer to get things back in working order.

I'd like to highlight at this point that I've done a total factory restore on my computer in attempts to get this game working.

Finally got all the essentials reinstalled on my now fresh computer: steam, teamspeak, etc., reinstalled Soma, still can't launch, and now not only will the steam exe not work, the non-steam.exe won't work either.

Then the beta for 1.01 came out, I opted into it, still couldn't launch.

Then 1.01 official came out, still can't launch.

verified the integrity of the cache, still nada.

Checked the troubleshooting guides some more, and my hpl log, under Initializing Graphics Module, it says my version is 4.1.10765, putting it over the 3.3.0 requirement. It also says that it's Compatibility Profile Context, though, and I don't know what that means.

I'm also getting loads of errors in the hpl log, mostly to do with GLSL, which is no surprise, as I use AMD which is notorious for being finnicky with GLSL.

I've disabled my antivirus, as it's given me problems with some games in the past, still a no-go.

I've gone into my catalyst control center and set all my graphics settings to use application settings, and set openGL to triple buffer, and still not launching.

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled, that didn't work

tried deleting all my user data for it in the My Games folder in my documents, that didn't help.

I've really been enjoying my stay in Pathos. I'd like to get back to it.

I've attached my hpl log. Careful, it's a doozie; and chock full of errors.

.zip   hpl - Copy.zip (Size: 885.79 KB / Downloads: 114)
09-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Can't Launch

There is something very wrong with the OpenGL drivers. The driver refuses to compile certain shaders. Really weird that this suddenly happened as well. I first thought it might be an update from our end, but looking at the log it is definitely the drivers.

Sorry to hear you had to do a factory reset. Sad

You are on the latest drivers now, right?

And this is a laptop right? Have you tried to go into the AMD control panel and explictly setting soma.exe to run on the AMD card?

Since it has worked once, and it just stopped working, it has gotta be some sort of weird class between AMD graphics chip and the onboard somehow, or at least something along those lines.
09-25-2015, 06:47 PM
Find
Umbra Domini Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Can't Launch

(09-25-2015, 06:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: You are on the latest drivers now, right?

Despite all the evidence leaning toward the driver update breaking everything last time (as mentioned in my post), I took a leap of faith and updated my driver to the latest version, on my now-factory restored computer, and now it works.

I'm really very sorry to have wasted your time. I was convinced the driver was just bogus, but now it turns out it's fine (so far).

Thank you for your help.
09-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Find