Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Steam API failed to initialize. Workshop subscribed items will not be available."
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago "Steam API failed to initialize. Workshop subscribed items will not be available."

I got this when I'm trying to open ModLauncher.exe

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2015, 09:17 PM by TiManGames.)
09-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: "Steam API failed to initialize. Workshop subscribed items will not be available."

You must open it through Steam I believe. If you just run the exe file manually, you're running it like retail, so it will only find manually installed mods.

09-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: "Steam API failed to initialize. Workshop subscribed items will not be availa...

(09-27-2015, 09:27 PM)Mugbill Wrote: You must open it through Steam I believe. If you just run the exe file manually, you're running it like retail, so it will only find manually installed mods.

Yes, this is what I want. Manually installed mod. Can't it be like amnesia? Where you just create a folder and put there your changes?

Why did it change it, it was much easier back in amnesia.

Can you help me with setting up my custom story for SOMA? I mean like where I put everything, and how I arrange things, and also how to upload the mods to the workshop.

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2015, 09:38 PM by TiManGames.)
09-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: "Steam API failed to initialize. Workshop subscribed items will not be available."

I'm not sure because I haven't tried anything yet myself. I think you just create a "mods" folder in the root of SOMA and put them there. Try the examples as a template. If you download stories from the workshop, they will be placed elsewhere and can only be launched through Steam, unless you move them to the "mods" location.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2015, 11:35 PM by Mudbill.)
09-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: "Steam API failed to initialize. Workshop subscribed items will not be availa...

Mugbill is right. You can have a "mods" folder in the SOMA root and the launcher will look for mods there. I'm putting together a little text for setting up mod entries, should be up soon, but as a quickstart guide:

If you are creating a custom story, save it under the mods folder, name it whatever you want (mods/mymod). Then, inside 'mymod', create an entry.hpc file, with the following contents:

<Content
      Author="Me"
      InitCfg="config/main_init.cfg"
      Type="StandAlone"
      Title="MyMod"
      Description="This is my mod"
/>

Then, have a 'main_init.cfg' file located in 'mymod/config' containing the following

<Directories  
    MainSaveFolder = "MyMod"

BaseLanguageFolder = "config/"        
    GameLanguageFolder = "config/lang_main/"
/>

<Variables
    GameName = "MyMod"
/>

<StartMap
    File = "level1.hpm"
    Folder = "maps/"
    Pos = "PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

So this would tell the game to start the "level1.hpm" map, and this file should be placed under a 'maps' folder, best if located in its own folder as well, this means in 'mymod/maps/level1'.

Finally, a resources.cfg file in the mod root folder, looking like this:

<Resources>
  <Directory Path="/maps" AddSubDirs="true"/>
</Resources>

And after this you should be able to run the mod through the launcher. Keep in mind that this guide is superquick and that there are lots of stuff that can be changed, but this should work for running custom maps.

EOF
09-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Find
TiManGames Offline

(09-28-2015, 08:53 AM)Luis Wrote: Mugbill is right. You can have a "mods" folder in the SOMA root and the launcher will look for mods there. I'm putting together a little text for setting up mod entries, should be up soon, but as a quickstart guide:

If you are creating a custom story, save it under the mods folder, name it whatever you want (mods/mymod). Then, inside 'mymod', create an entry.hpc file, with the following contents:

<Content
      Author="Me"
      InitCfg="config/main_init.cfg"
      Type="StandAlone"
      Title="MyMod"
      Description="This is my mod"
/>

Then, have a 'main_init.cfg' file located in 'mymod/config' containing the following

<Directories  
    MainSaveFolder = "MyMod"

BaseLanguageFolder = "config/"        
    GameLanguageFolder = "config/lang_main/"
/>

<Variables
    GameName = "MyMod"
/>

<StartMap
    File = "level1.hpm"
    Folder = "maps/"
    Pos = "PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

So this would tell the game to start the "level1.hpm" map, and this file should be placed under a 'maps' folder, best if located in its own folder as well, this means in 'mymod/maps/level1'.

Finally, a resources.cfg file in the mod root folder, looking like this:

<Resources>
  <Directory Path="/maps" AddSubDirs="true"/>
</Resources>

And after this you should be able to run the mod through the launcher. Keep in mind that this guide is superquick and that there are lots of stuff that can be changed, but this should work for running custom maps.

Ohhh I see. Thank you very much for the help! Smile

This forum is dead
09-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Find
Vale Offline

Threads: 13

The mod launcher has a space for an associated image. I tried having a line in hpc file along the lines of Image='Filename', and also tried just sitting an image entitled image in the mod folder with no success. For future reference, has anyone figured out how to add one? Could be useful to know, and add to the wiki page because someone else will at some point ask.
10-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

The line to add is:
LauncherPic="Image.jpg"

But as far as I know, the ModLauncher needs to be updated in order for it to work. Luis is potentially releasing an update later this week.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Find
happiestmedal33 Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago SOMA

Well i go onto the SOMAdev, then when i go to load my map to test it at the bottem left it says Voice file 'maps/Test map.voice', not found! any help? and i follow the same thing you guys say
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2015, 10:49 PM by happiestmedal33.)
10-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

You should create a separate thread for your issue, in this section.

I don't quite understand what this .voice file has to do with this topic.

10-15-2015, 11:13 PM
Find