Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Editor Questions
LordDakol Offline

Threads: 2
General Editor Questions

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a couple of questions concerning the editor; I've just made my first "working" room, and I wanted to test it out, but I can't figure out how to set the start position, and is it possible to walk around our maps without uploading them to Steam just yet?
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 07:32 AM by LordDakol.)
09-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Find
Aifa Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Start position and map testing?

Create an area and choose "PlayerStart" in the Area dropdown for the starting position, the blue line indicates which way you're facing when you start.
To test the level simply start SomaDev.bat in your soma folder, if you don't have it you can simply create it by making a .txt file and saving it as SomaDev.bat with the following content:
Soma.exe -user Dev -cfg config/main_init_dev.cfg
Start the .bat and press F1 once in-game and click Load Level on the bottom right.
Edit
Ironically I know that but I have no idea how to make a proper light connected to a switch or a proper roof and wall inside a room(Beause walls only have textures on one side?). I wish I knew how so I can make some custom stuff myself.. hopefully there will be basic tutorials for these things.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 07:16 PM by Aifa.)
09-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Find
LordDakol Offline

Oh, thanks! I can't believe I didn't look there.

Okay, and I just tried to load it through SomaDev.bat, but it came up with the error "FATAL ERROR: Could not load world file "Testing SOMA Maptesting.hpm".
09-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Find
Aifa Offline

(09-28-2015, 07:30 PM)LordDakol Wrote: Oh, thanks! I can't believe I didn't look there.

Okay, and I just tried to load it through SomaDev.bat, but it came up with the error "FATAL ERROR: Could not load world file "Testing SOMA Maptesting.hpm".
Perhaps spaces aren't allowed? Try Testing_SOMA_Maptesting
09-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Find
LordDakol Offline

But I don't even have that file; it's my folder with that name: Testing SOMA Map, and then the hpm file is called simply "testing.hpm".
09-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Find
Aifa Offline

(09-28-2015, 07:44 PM)LordDakol Wrote: But I don't even have that file; it's my folder with that name: Testing SOMA Map, and then the hpm file is called simply "testing.hpm".
Unfortunately I can't help you further then, I'm still learning the basics of the editor myself Tongue Hopefully a dev can help you with that.
09-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Find
LordDakol Offline

That's okay, I understand. Btw, do you know where I can find ceilings? I found only the "roof" subfolder, but it doesn't look like it has any actual ceilings.

EDIT: I just saw your edit, and tested it out that way, and it works! Awesome!
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 07:59 PM by LordDakol.)
09-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Find
Aifa Offline

(09-28-2015, 07:51 PM)LordDakol Wrote: That's okay, I understand. Btw, do you know where I can find ceilings? I found only the "roof" subfolder, but it doesn't look like it has any actual ceilings.

EDIT: I just saw your edit, and tested it out that way, and it works! Awesome!
Huh? Which edit? Tongue
I actually just found out how to make a ceiling myself, I simply flip a plane 180 degrees, I'm now trying to figure out how to make a door.. I really have no clue which walls and door frames + doors work together.. guess I'll have to do some studying on the base game levels.
09-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Find
LordDakol Offline

(09-28-2015, 07:13 PM)Aifa Wrote: Start the .bat and press F1 once in-game and click Load Level on the bottom right.
Edit

This one, lol

Okay, cool thanks. I'm also attempting to figure the props and "readables" part of the documentation.
09-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Find
Patrik Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 3

(09-28-2015, 07:30 PM)LordDakol Wrote: Oh, thanks! I can't believe I didn't look there.

Looks to be caused by a missing '\'. Have you set up the .cfg file to load the game when you start the .bat file? In that case you probably just need to change

Folder="Testing SOMA Map"

to

Folder="Testing SOMA Map\"
09-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Find