Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unofficial SOMA music for modders
PythonBlue Offline

Threads: 13
Unofficial SOMA music for modders

Well, I finally started my ambitious project to make an alternate SOMA soundtrack. Sadly, Mikko Tarmia wrote so many individual pieces for every level that I doubt I can replace the entire soundtrack, but I can at least write pieces inspired by certain scenes.

These pieces will be free to use for modders, and this time, that includes YouTube Let's Plays. Paying is appreciated but not required thanks to a Name Your Price decision for these tracks, which are hosted on Bandcamp.

The first of these pieces is available here. It's inspired by when you first wake up in the underwater facilities and find the lights, confirming that you're not where you once were. As great as Mikko's music is, I can't help but notice that it was mostly avant-garde style to the point that I initially thought the piece originally used for the described scene, for instance, was just ambient sound effects in the game, so I went for something more musical in nature with this piece.

https://python-blue.bandcamp.com/track/lights-on

Enjoy, and rest assured, more pieces WILL be added to this collection. Wink

09-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

RE: Unofficial SOMA music for modders

First enemy themes are now up. Smile The last of these is a collection of stingers in the mood of the main theme, something I noticed was also present in the original music files.

https://python-blue.bandcamp.com/track/c...ambience-2

https://python-blue.bandcamp.com/track/c...s-stalking

https://python-blue.bandcamp.com/track/c...ts-attacks

https://python-blue.bandcamp.com/track/c...nger-suite

10-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

1st - Lights On
It feels like it would fit best in a title intro screen, or a prologue.

2nd - 4th Music
I'm not sure what you were aiming for in these ambient pieces. For me, the sounds don't match what I would expect from SOMA.

Their is always a lot of banging on wood sounds that is very distracting after hearing it more than a few times, and it's consistent. Their are no pauses, buildup or surprise. It's just constant beating drum sounds.

5th Music
Loud, distracting, no idea what this piece is about.

--------------------------------------------------------

In this AtDD OST example...

Starting from 0:10 and ending at 0:20

You hear wind howling, then a piano in the distance, then a man/brute making moaning sounds, then a short pause before hearing the castle old wood creaking.

These are all AtDD sounds because they all have objects they match up in the game.

Wind, Piano, Brute, Old Castle

With yours, I'm just not sure what your trying to go for. So try again and think some more with your instrument choices.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 10:14 PM by Rapture.)
10-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

I accept the critique about the thumping sound and its repetitiveness; perhaps, in retrospect, I should've thought that much through a tad more. As for the fifth track, I probably should've made that more clear: there are plenty of event pieces in both Amnesia and SOMA that are short and have a sudden impact in sound; that was what I was shooting for with that track, which is really a collection of four tracks meant to be split up when in use.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 10:29 PM by PythonBlue.)
10-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

I liked your other scores but these feel really rushed. Lights On is a good mood piece and probably the strongest of the five so far.

Why is the enemy ambience just a pad going between the same two notes? There's no texture or dynamics at all. The sound palette gets stronger with the last three pieces but really the only interesting thing going on is that intermittent auto-filtered electronic screech

Quote:Starting from 0:10 and ending at 0:20
You hear wind howling, then a piano in the distance, then a man/brute making moaning sounds, then a short pause before hearing the castle old wood creaking.
These are all AtDD sounds because they all have objects they match up in the game.=
Wind, Piano, Brute, Old Castle

Uh no, none of those sounds are present in the song. The music is uniquely "Amnesia" because the instrumentation is adjacent in tone and timbre to the general soundscape, not because it includes other parts of it.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 10:51 PM by Kurton.)
10-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

Main reason for the shared sounds from tracks two to four is because of them being intended as one interactive piece. From what I've heard of the music in the game, the themes for the enemies is built on a similar idea.

If the general consensus is that I should either revise or scrap those particular pieces, however, then I will. I certainly admit that those pieces were quick to make even for me.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 10:45 PM by PythonBlue.)
10-04-2015, 10:45 PM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

(10-04-2015, 10:45 PM)PythonBlue Wrote: Main reason for the shared sounds from tracks two to four is because of them being intended as one interactive piece. From what I've heard of the music in the game, the themes for the enemies is built on a similar idea.

I know - the shared sound isn't what I was critiquing. I was referring to the constitution of the tracks in and of themselves being sparse (esp. the ambience one)

10-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

(10-04-2015, 10:54 PM)Kurton Wrote: I know - the shared sound isn't what I was critiquing. I was referring to the constitution of the tracks in and of themselves being sparse (esp. the ambience one)

Ah, now I think I understand.

Well, again, if everyone generally feels I should scrap those particular pieces, then I will.

10-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Find