Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[HPL3 WIKI] What kind of tutorials/pages would you like to see?
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82
RE: [HPL3 WIKI] What kind of tutorials/pages would you like to see?

(10-10-2015, 11:59 PM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 06:08 PM)The Mug Wrote: EDIT: http://root.cern.ch/root/html/TString.html
if this information is relevant for SOMA

Big Grin I don't think that's the case.
The TString type you linked to is from something called ROOT - a library used by particle physicists. I happen to have a friend who is a physicist, and I was helping him write some code that uses ROOT, so this is how I know. Big Grin
Also, if you look at the URL, it has CERN in it - the organization that operates the Large Hadron Colider (LHC) that was used to discover the Higgs boson.

The tString the game uses is a string type provided by the HPL3 engine itself, and it's declaration can be found in hps_api.hps (search for "class tString").

P.S. For those who know a bit about C++, I'm guessing that the "t" prefix stands for a typedef, and that the tString is probably an exported typedef of some C++ string type - like std:Confusedtring. There's also a tWString, which I'm guessing could be a typedef of std::wstring.

Hm. Well I guess I gotta look into these custom classes. Once I've bought the game.. >.>. But why would you need a type definition? Sorry if I sound stupid.

Derp.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2015, 12:08 AM by Neelke.)
10-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Just like to throw it in here:

Mudbill and I were working on an Engine Scripts page, however, have been overshadowed by Frictional Games; who have since posted development documentation relating to the helper files and the hps_api files, which serve the basis of most, if not all, code you will be using in your .hps files for your maps.

The functions as found in hps_api can be found here and the remaining for the helpers are found within the same wiki folder as the link, as used in the sidebar. Furthermore, video tutorials have been made available for us to use and reference if need be.

Personally, I'll start looking back into some of the things already mentioned on the OP now, and will continue updating as needed. Feel free to continue posting suggestions as to what we should include on the wiki, and feel free to continue helping out in any way you can!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2015, 08:34 AM by Romulator.)
10-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

A new piece for the wiki has been made by Kanthos and edited by me.

https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl3/co...nteraction
10-29-2015, 11:04 PM
Find
Kanthos Offline

Threads: 7

Thx Poo Smile

This was my first contribution to the wiki. I´m glad someone looked over it Smile

Greets!
10-29-2015, 11:34 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(10-29-2015, 11:04 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: A new piece for the wiki has been made by Kanthos and edited by me.

https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl3/co...nteraction
(10-29-2015, 11:34 PM)Kanthos Wrote: Thx Poo Smile

This was my first contribution to the wiki. I´m glad someone looked over it Smile

Greets!

Good work you two! If I can recommend something, could you provide a few examples of which buttons can be used (while all may be useful, the ones next to the door as specific examples would be good)? Or at least, where they can be found in the directories?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Find
Seneth Offline

Threads: 9

I thing CameraAnim tutorial will be helpfull Big Grin
10-30-2015, 06:29 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Sorry for the good ol' resurrection but I think we should be aware of this as it can help a lot of people become better mappers:

https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl3/co...and_tricks

Feel free to add and/or improve on what I have started, this can be a great community project to help newcomers to use the editor. Please don't place any scripting tips and tricks. We already have threads and wiki articles about that.

I would refrain from sharing this with Steam workshop members just yet, it would be great if we can show this off once it has enough categories filled. Tongue
04-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Find
NewPueblo Offline

Threads: 2

It would actually be really nice if there were tutorials on how to make use and optimize level creation via knowledge of the assets and tools in the HPL3 editor.

While "attempting" to make some new progress on my mod I realized that I kept running into walls, sometimes even ones that looked exactly like, while trying to learn more about what was available to me. I'm a hands-on learner, so I need to experiment and see the results of the experiments. A problem with the HPL3 engine however, or more so the purpose of it, is that there isn't a good reason for me to use these tools.

I love SOMA, and all the other games that came before it, but I would like to know what's so good about it. Why a custom-made engine was used for all of these great games instead of an existing one. If I don't know the full extent of these tools then I'll just keeping running into dead-ends, as I'm not aware of their full potential.

(btw, by tools I mean everything that's available within HPL3, not the in-editor button tools)
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2016, 06:26 AM by NewPueblo.)
09-02-2016, 06:22 AM
Find