Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with custom animated MAT files
Danarogon AP Offline

Threads: 4
Problem with custom animated MAT files

I was trying to make a custom billboard that included an animation to it's diffuse texture unit (not an UV animation). In the material editor the animation works perfectly fine, however It doesn't function anywhere else, the texture simply does not load. Once I try loading the mat file again in the material editor, it opens it as an "Unnamed Material" and treats it as a default empty file. Its not a matter of me not properly saving the mat file because I've already made several custom MAT files already. It has something to do with the animation being bugged for some reason. Does this only happen to me? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a genuine bug?

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015, 05:39 PM by Danarogon AP.)
10-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19
RE: Problem with custom animated MAT files

Hi! Can you hand the offending stuff over? Also, are the .mat file or the actual animation texture files located in some arbitrary path? (outside of the game directory and such)

EOF
10-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Find
Danarogon AP Offline

Hi, thank you a lot for the reply, but for some reason the animated mat file appears to be working now. I noticed the game was updated, maybe that solved the problem somehow?

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM by Danarogon AP.)
10-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Find
Danarogon AP Offline

Ok never mind, now the problem lies with the other editors. The custom MAT file works fine when I inset it on a map or on an entity, however, as soon as I save the map, close the editor, and re-open the level, the billboards with my custom MAT file are not visible, I have no clue what is going on, if it helps here is my custom texture.

(the "mod" folder is currently placed in SOMA folder if that matters)

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 04:44 PM by Danarogon AP.)
10-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

if it is only located in your mod folder then editors will have trouble loading your objects.
I think adding your mods folder to the editors' resources.cfg can help, but I myself did not find it working perfectly all the time.

The best and also most practical way development wise, is in my opinion to create a mymodplaceables folder inside the different SOMA folders, so it's a category of your mod stuff, alongside the other categories like "station" or "urban". So you would fx put your entity inside entities/mymodplaceables/myexampleentityfolder/myentity.ent,.mat,.dae etc.

While the editors might have problems loading things, the actual game when running mods seems to have a very easy time finding them, even if the folder layout in your mods folder is completely different than in main folders. I once had an entity that would not load in level editor consistently load in game with script and everything lol.
10-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Find