Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physical Box
Sleepbug Offline

Threads: 4
Physical Box

A couple days ago I read a thread where people made templates for a physical A:AMFP box, so I decided to try my hand at one for SOMA.

The ESRB rating is from the SOMA website and the Mini. System Requirements from the Steam page. I got the info on the back from the SOMA website.

(click the image to view it in full size)

ESRB
[Image: jRNvo0n.png]

PEGI

[Image: MMVkUdH.png]

Credit to Nautilus for this image and this image, which I used on the back. And of course, credit to David Satzinger for the SOMA logo, promo face, and the Frictional Games logo.

I'm not exactly sure how well this would actually work if you actually put it in a PC case, but I tried to get it as accurate as possible.

Are You Still In There? Am I Still Here?
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 11:36 PM by Sleepbug.)
11-02-2015, 04:19 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: Physical Box

You forgot Art Bully Production's logo. They helped with the first person hands and character /creature models.
11-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

I wouldn't spoil so many of the locations on the back side of the cover, especially the underwater scenarios. People shouldn't get the information, that Pathos is under water. The part in Ypsilon where you walk through the underwater tunnel for the first time had such a great impact. And this should be a surprise for everyone who doesn't know what SOMA is!
11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

(11-02-2015, 07:41 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: You forgot Art Bully Production's logo. They helped with the first person hands and character /creature models.
Done, the box honestly looked lonely with only Frictional's logo so I'm glad to put that on there.

(11-02-2015, 05:09 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I wouldn't spoil so many of the locations on the back side of the cover, especially the underwater scenarios. People shouldn't get the information, that Pathos is under water. The part in Ypsilon where you walk through the underwater tunnel for the first time had such a great impact. And this should be a surprise for everyone who doesn't know what SOMA is!
I went ahead and replaced that underwater screenshot with another of Nautilus' amazing images.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 5upDRe9.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015, 05:12 AM by Sleepbug.)
11-03-2015, 05:09 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22

I only really have two qualms with this.

First is that the "food is running out" part of the synopsis is somewhat misleading, as that doesn't ever really play a part in the story. The only part it is even mentioned that I can remember is the bit where Tau talks about how they "ran out of real food", and that's only because Omicron thought they were all dead rather than food in general was running low. Maybe there were other minor side stories I missed that talked about it too, but it's still a bit of a non-issue when the whole twist of the story is that just about everyone is either dead or a robot. (Though from reading the description on Steam, I realize this one isn't on you.)

The other one is somewhat tied to the previous mention about not giving away the fact that the game takes place at the bottom of the ocean. Personally I don't think that is such a guarded secret that it needs to be kept off the box (the fact that the game takes place underwater is in the first sentence of the Steam page), but if you are going to hide that fact, leaving that bit of information in the synopsis kind of defeats the purpose of removing what was a nice shot of underwater scenery.

Those are mostly nitpicks, though. This does look like the box of a game I would want to buy (though maybe I'm a tad biased Tongue).
11-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

(11-04-2015, 09:48 AM)Abion47 Wrote:
Spoiler below!
First is that the "food is running out" part of the synopsis is somewhat misleading, as that doesn't ever really play a part in the story. The only part it is even mentioned that I can remember is the bit where Tau talks about how they "ran out of real food", and that's only because Omicron thought they were all dead rather than food in general was running low. Maybe there were other minor side stories I missed that talked about it too, but it's still a bit of a non-issue when the whole twist of the story is that just about everyone is either dead or a robot. (Though from reading the description on Steam, I realize this one isn't on you.)
I actually thought of removing that part when I was making the box, but I wanted to keep the description as intact as possible.

(11-04-2015, 09:48 AM)Abion47 Wrote:
Spoiler below!
The other one is somewhat tied to the previous mention about not giving away the fact that the game takes place at the bottom of the ocean. Personally I don't think that is such a guarded secret that it needs to be kept off the box (the fact that the game takes place underwater is in the first sentence of the Steam page), but if you are going to hide that fact, leaving that bit of information in the synopsis kind of defeats the purpose of removing what was a nice shot of underwater scenery.
I actually have a reason for removing the image but keeping that part of the description; even if the player knows beforehand that the game takes place underwater, I think the beautiful underwater environments still surprise the player. That and it kinda ties into my point before of keeping the description as intact as possible.

Although I might put the underwater image back, because the image I replaced it with is just a generic, boring image from one of the sites.
Or maybe I could make a separate version for those who want the underwater image? Would only take a couple seconds.

(11-04-2015, 09:48 AM)Abion47 Wrote: Those are mostly nitpicks, though. This does look like the box of a game I would want to buy (though maybe I'm a tad biased Tongue).
Thank you! I tried to make the box look as Frictionally-made as possible, hopefully I successfully did that.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015, 01:46 AM by Sleepbug.)
11-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

Hey can you send my the .psd or .png/.jpeg of the cover? I can remove the ESRB labels and put pegi ratings on it! I have Photoshop CC so can you send me a .psd if you can via PM? Tongue
11-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Why edit it into Pegi instead of just getting a Pegi picture to replace it with?

11-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Find
Aaron Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 0

Not sure if SOMA would fit on a CD rom Sad

Artist.
Twitter: @aaronjclifford
11-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22

According to Steam, the download size of the game is 10.3 GB, and the size of a standard DVD is 4.7 GB. for a single-layered disc and 9.4 GB for a double-layered disc. That makes the current installation size just a bit over the single disc limit, although if the game were streamlined a bit, perhaps with a bit more aggressive compression and trimming of assets that are used once or less, I bet it would be possible to fit the game onto a single double-layered DVD.
11-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Find