Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What do you think of SOMA's old story and cut content?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
It's nice but I prefer the final version.
66.67%
12 66.67%
Awful, glad they changed things.
16.67%
3 16.67%
I prefer the old story elements, but the final release is still better.
11.11%
2 11.11%
I prefer the story in the final version, but this version looked and sounded cooler.
0%
0 0%
Oh god, why couldn't we have had this game?
5.56%
1 5.56%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So what did everyone think of the 'old SOMA' and the Verticle Slice material?
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16
RE: So what did everyone think of the 'old SOMA' and the Verticle Slice material?

I have started a thread about this early concept of SOMA since the password for super secret archive was found. I was one of the lucky few that got the original super_secret.rar archive that still contained the Vertical Slice video (it was taken down with the first patch, but can still be found on Youtube). I've wrote my thoughts on this here: https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-31063.html

I think the final concept, that made it into the released game is better than the old concept, but given the fact that the old SOMA concept is so different from a narrative perspective that it could be considered a totally different game set in the SOMA universe, I really wish that FG would release a full playable version of the Veritcal Slice concept, even if it would be incomplete or in a beta state, modders would be more than happy to polish it.
I personally would even pay as much as 10 - 20 dollars to FG for a copy of the early version of the game as it is, unfinished and unstable and with the afferent bugs and missing textures. It would be great to be able to play this alternate story!

A full release of Depth, with the deleted scenes included and edited in chronological order would also be great, I would definately buy it as a DVD or watch it as a theatrical release!
I really don't understand why so many original scenes of the film were canned (more than half of the movie was scrapped), and it only got a partial release as a very short web series, just to make it conform to the final story from the game. It just didn't have to be the same exact story, it could have been well released as a spin-off related to the game story... It is just a shame that more than half of all the hard work of the actors, director, editor and entire film crew had to be thrown to the garbage bin just to make the film fit into the game canon and please the mainstream audience Sad

EDIT: Maybe CounterCurrent Games could make a game about the early concept from the vertical slice, given the fact that many of the unused assets and artwork can be found in the super_secret.rar! They did a great job with the Penumbra sequel Necrologue and prequel Twilight of the Archaic, so they could definately pull this through!
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM by Omnitool.)
11-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Find