Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Great Online MIT Class "Minds and Machines" for the Questions SOMA Poses
Striker Offline

Threads: 2
Thumbs Up  Great Online MIT Class "Minds and Machines" for the Questions SOMA Poses

Currently taking this class on EDX called "Minds and Machines," from MIT. The class is free and open to all.

It just started this week and covers many of the topics we've been discussing in threads, along with their intellectual constructs/roots/frameworks.

I am not sure if it will bring up the concept of Continuity, but it's pretty awesome so far and enjoyable:

https://www.edx.org/course/philosophy-mi...itx-24-09x
11-18-2015, 09:30 AM
Find
SineDeus Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Great Online MIT Class "Minds and Machines" for the Questions SOMA Poses

dude this is awesome thanks!!! Me and my friend are taking it too now
11-24-2015, 03:34 AM
Find
Striker Offline

(11-24-2015, 03:34 AM)SineDeus Wrote: dude this is awesome thanks!!! Me and my friend are taking it too now

Oh awesome, glad to be of help.

I like it because the lectures are cut up into nice digestible slices, the professor is excellent, the articles spawn a lot of discussion points, and the discussion forums themselves are really busy with lots of participation.
11-26-2015, 06:32 AM
Find
Striker Offline

Interesting, part 1 of the course discusses the Chinese Room question, and as we know the developer Chinese Room worked on Dear Esther, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.
11-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Find
Striker Offline

Today we are listening to a lecture about the Churchlands, a married philosopher couple. Husband Paul, in particular, is a proponent of Eliminative materialism, which says that"people's common-sense understanding of the mind (or folk psychology) is false and that certain classes of mental states that most people believe in do not exist."

I wonder if this is the couple that the Luteces in Bioshock is based off of.
12-07-2015, 05:48 AM
Find
SlackerinDeNile Offline

Threads: 7

(12-07-2015, 05:48 AM)Striker Wrote: Today we are listening to a lecture about the Churchlands, a married philosopher couple. Husband Paul, in particular, is a proponent of Eliminative materialism, which says that"people's common-sense understanding of the mind (or folk psychology) is false and that certain classes of mental states that most people believe in do not exist."

Haha, could be, I need to check this stuff out, i'm into it as well.
12-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Find
Striker Offline

(12-07-2015, 07:15 PM)SlackerinDeNile Wrote:
(12-07-2015, 05:48 AM)Striker Wrote: Today we are listening to a lecture about the Churchlands, a married philosopher couple. Husband Paul, in particular, is a proponent of Eliminative materialism, which says that"people's common-sense understanding of the mind (or folk psychology) is false and that certain classes of mental states that most people believe in do not exist."

Haha, could be, I need to check this stuff out, i'm into it as well.

Cool man it's pretty good and neat to see all these names I've heard about for years coming to life.

The class does get a bit technical at times with the argumentation discussions, which seem almost mathematical, but it's still excellent, and the argumentation structure is a great skill to have.
12-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

Shameless plug: we had a fantastic discussion of consciousness on the other forum that I visit.
12-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Find
Striker Offline

(12-13-2015, 03:20 PM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: Shameless plug: we had a fantastic discussion of consciousness on the other forum that I visit.

Oh nice! Bookmarked! Looks excellent
12-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Find