Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Frictional Should Continue Penumbra
HunchbackEnt Offline

Threads: 1
Frictional Should Continue Penumbra

Frictional Games has made quite a few of my favorite games of all time, and I must say I feel the SOMA and Amnesia storylines were absolutely amazing but they're done now. Penumbra is different in my opinion. The universe of this game is so amazing and I feel like the series' length got seriously cut short due to budgetary reasons.

The interest in Penumbra is still strong, as is evident with the great mods Necrologue and Twilight of the Archaic that act as unofficial sequels. While I think Philip's story is done (Requiem has a perfect ending) I still would love to learn more about the Tuurngait and even some of the characters in the iron mines or in the Shelter.

Any other thoughts on more Penumbra games?
11-20-2015, 05:25 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Frictional Should Continue Penumbra

(11-20-2015, 05:25 AM)HunchbackEnt Wrote: The universe of this game is so amazing and I feel like the series' length got seriously cut short due to budgetary reasons.

Penumbra was planned to be a trilogy and in a way it lived up to it. We got two games, and then we thought that was it, until they announced the Expansion. Not exactly what we were waiting for, but at least three games, considering the situation back then. I have never heard of budget being an issue. What was given as the reason for no third installment was the publisher.

Have you played this old Penumbra game from 2006?
https://www.frictionalgames.com/site/penumbra

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 07:10 PM by Yuhaney.)
11-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Website Find
HunchbackEnt Offline

(11-20-2015, 07:06 PM)IIPEE Wrote:
(11-20-2015, 05:25 AM)HunchbackEnt Wrote: The universe of this game is so amazing and I feel like the series' length got seriously cut short due to budgetary reasons.

Penumbra was planned to be a trilogy and in a way it lived up to it. We got two games, and then we thought that was it, until they announced the Expansion. Not exactly what we were waiting for, but at least three games, considering the situation back then. I have never heard of budget being an issue. What was given as the reason for no third installment was the publisher.

Have you played this old Penumbra game from 2006?
https://www.frictionalgames.com/site/penumbra

As far as I know budget was a huge problem with Black Plague, as in that game almost didn't get finished. If Frictional had had more resources we probably would have seen the Hunter NPC in all of its glory.

Yes we technically do have a trilogy and I love all three of them to death but I feel like there is so much more I'd like to know to the Penumbra universe, and I think many gamers feel the same way considering the big project mods I mentioned before are very popular. It'd be amazing if Frictional made a new game in the same universe with different characters imo.

And yes the tech demo was great, it's non-canon though and I wish it had been re-incorporated into Black Plague because the Roach was a great monster.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2015, 12:12 AM by HunchbackEnt.)
11-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Find
Sleepbug Offline

Threads: 4

I personally would love to see the whole Penumbra trilogy - with some aspects of the tech demo included - remade into one whole game.

I have my doubts that will actually happen, but it would just be amazing to see what they could do with the resources they have now that they didn't back then. One of my problems with the Penumbra games was that they were barren in terms of props, and most rooms were just boxes without much detail.

Are You Still In There? Am I Still Here?
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2015, 03:02 AM by Sleepbug.)
11-21-2015, 03:01 AM
Find
HunchbackEnt Offline

(11-21-2015, 03:01 AM)Cridone Wrote: I personally would love to see the whole Penumbra trilogy - with some aspects of the tech demo included - remade into one whole game.

I have my doubts that will actually happen, but it would just be amazing to see what they could do with the resources they have now that they didn't back then. One of my problems with the Penumbra games was that they were barren in terms of props, and most rooms were just boxes without much detail.

I'd also love to see them remade into one game although I'd rather see sequels. My main problems with the series are that Black Plague should have had the Hunter a lot and the Kennel was a letdown, the Worm part in Black Plague was stupid, and the Roach should have been included. It's still an amazing series though and I'd love to see all of these games, especially Requiem, get extended.
11-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Find
A1phA78 Offline

Threads: 0

I would LOVE for frictional to continue the story of Penumbra. Also the graphics would be great being in the HPL3 engine. I want more Tuurngait and more Philip.
09-13-2016, 04:16 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Please do not dig up extremely old threads. The reason for this is that such discussion happened so long ago that it will be difficult for the original participators or discussions to continue on. If you wish to discuss the topic in an old thread, feel free to make a new one so that new participators can join in without there being a sudden time lapse!

Feel free to dig up a thread though if you have something very meaningful to contribute to the previous discussions that happened in that particular thread as opposed to something just standalone.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2016, 04:42 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-13-2016, 04:28 AM
Find