Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In need of someone with FBX to Amnesia experience.
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
In need of someone with FBX to Amnesia experience.

Yo, so I've got this little thing going right, it might be a monster and it might not be, to be revealed at a later date.

Anyway with 1.3 now having FBX support I figured I'd use that since I'm a 3D's Max user and the DAE support for max is the just about the worst thing since WWII.

I did some work back on AMFP and back then FBX worked just fine, however they must have used a different FBX implementation for 1.3 because this time around, it doesn't freakin' work.

Per usual for us Max users, the scaling is totally of, and materials do not show up on the mesh. I can get the DAE verision of it showing up with materials and all just like before, however it will be completely impossible for me to animate using DAE due to the broken support.

So is there anyone out there whom has successfully imported FBX models ( preferably animated ) into HPL that could give me a hand with this? Because it's driving me insane how bad this works.

And before you ask, yes I've studied up on the wiki aswell, problem is that the wiki is entirely written for Maya, with no mention of being maya specific, so for those of us who do not use maya, it's pretty useless.
11-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Find
Juras Offline

Threads: 2
RE: In need of someone with FBX to Amnesia experience.

I tried using FBX in Maya on an animated monster a little while back, but just couldn't get it to import into HPL2 as it gave me an an invisible skeletal mesh, since it failed to include materials. So I ended up using the good old DAE lol, which actually still works perfectly, atleast when exporting from Maya 2013 or 2011 (havent tried other versions).

Unfortunetely I don't use Max so I wouldn't know much about if it works there. But considering you said that the wiki about FBX is based on Maya, the FBX should work if exported atleast from Maya, but like I said, I haven't been successfull in doing that.

This makes me wonder if the devs might have messed up something with the FBX in their latest patch (not completely sure, but I believe there was a another patch after the 1.3) for AATD?

Co-Founder & Lead Art Director of Red Line Games
3D & Environment Artist, Animator
http://jurasbatas.deviantart.com
11-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

There was an update after 1.3, which was 1.3.1. That one managed to break skyboxes, and to fix it you still have to replace a .dll file in your game dir. It's entirely possible they broke more than just the skybox in 1.3.1.

I don't know about the invisible material, but the scaling might be fixed by deleting the .msh file and loading it a second time in the ModelViewer. I've had this issue with most models I export (although .dae) where the first .msh file fails to shape the model correctly. Not sure why, but worth a try I guess.

11-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Well I can get my DAE's to import perfectly fine minus the whole scaling issue, that's what I've always done for the content I've released here on the forums. However as of right now it is litteraly impossible to export animations in DAE format from 3D's max, I and a bunch of friends did some digging into this matter a few years ago and deemed it simply wasn't doable, animations from max, will result in a crash.

That's why I need the FBX format for this project, it's what I did back when I helped out on AMFP and it worked perfectly fine, so I asumed that it would here too. However just as Juras said in his post, I am recieving nothing but an invisible wrong-scale mesh, I have not even begun rigging or animating yet as I wanted to make sure FBX works to begin with, my first worry was that there is no such thing as ''Export materials'' or whatever in the FBX exporter for max, which I thought was the reason behind my invisible mesh, but if Juras is having the same issues through Maya my best bet is that the FBX support is just legit fucked up.

Also regarding the model VIEWER, it does not load FBX at all, editor brings them in insible, and viewer crashed.
Deleting .msh file creates no differences at all as the scaling issues comes from the exported fbx file and how it is read in the engine, just for testing purposes I made sure that it works inside of both Unity and Unreal and the mesh scales perfectly fine in both engines.

I'll reach out to FG and poke them about this as it is currently blocking me from moving forward with this project.

Your responses are much appreciated as they've helped shed some light on this whole thing, I was worried that HPL was once again going to screw me over for being a max user.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 08:45 PM by Traggey.)
11-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

If the viewer crashes could that be why it fails to load in the editor? Could always check the ModelView.log file in Documents\HPL2.

11-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

I may not be much help but I exported the manpigs from AAMFP and those used .fbx and they worked perfectly fine. I loaded the wretch.fbx file in the Model Viewer and it didn't have any problems.
[Image: JPA3qbR.png]
So they must have used a different .fbx implementation since then.
11-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Still really badly needing a fix for this, the FBX seems completely broken as for now and has stopped me from being able to work.
12-31-2015, 03:41 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(12-31-2015, 03:41 PM)Traggey Wrote: Still really badly needing a fix for this, the FBX seems completely broken as for now and has stopped me from being able to work.
Have you checked the ModelView.log file in Documents\HPL2?
01-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Find