Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Overture: "Failed! Check your OpenAL installation."
Saeyr Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Overture: "Failed! Check your OpenAL installation."

I just got this game last night via the Humble Bundle deal. When I go to run the game, the screen goes completely black until I control+alt+delete out of it. There's an error message that pops up with the text in the title, even though I selected the option for installing OpenAL in Overture's installer. I've tried installing the OpenAL dll through their website as well, but it just gives the same error. The graphics card in my laptop is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series.
05-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overture: "Failed! Check your OpenAL installation."

Did this happen the first time you tried to launch the game or were you able to start the game one time and perhaps change some settings? And after that this problem started?

Please go to My Documents/Penumbra Overture/Episode1/ and take the hpl.log file, zip it and upload it here.
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Website Find
Saeyr Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Overture: "Failed! Check your OpenAL installation."

This happened the first time (and the other few times I tried); I haven't been able to open it successfully yet. Also, I didn't know that's where the log was located... I would've uploaded it before, sorry about that.
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Find
Saeyr Offline

I still haven't been able to solve this, any ideas?
05-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Sorry I must have missed the post or something came in between. I don't have any ideas really, you have working sound in the computer? What version of Windows is it? Do you have more than one sound card? If so could you perhaps try to change the default sound device to the other?

I can't recall if any of the other games in the bundle uses OpenAL for Windows, have you had any problems with the other games?
05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Website Find
Saeyr Offline

Now I feel like an idiot. When I don't have my USB headset plugged in, I have all the other audio drivers disabled... I just enabled one of them and it works perfectly now. I guess all the times I've tried it in the past I didn't have my headset in. Thanks much!
05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Find