Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Overture to be open source
fearofshorts Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Penumbra Overture to be open source

This means more than just allowing people to make new games, this means porting!
Thanks to this, Penumbra (and the others in the pack) will now be able to be ported to any system. Penumbra on the Open-Pandora! Penumbra on the PSP (maybe- with some scaling down)! Penumbra on your jailbroken iPhone!
05-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Find
MonsieurWeller Offline

Threads: 1

(05-12-2010, 10:27 AM)fearofshorts Wrote: This means more than just allowing people to make new games, this means porting!
Thanks to this, Penumbra (and the others in the pack) will now be able to be ported to any system. Penumbra on the Open-Pandora! Penumbra on the PSP (maybe- with some scaling down)! Penumbra on your jailbroken iPhone!

Yup, and penumbra for x86_64 platform, maybe ARM/PPC, penumbra pre-compiled and available in repository of every linux distribution, which avoid incompatibility problem (the player will have to manually install the assets, which is not a big problem: it's what we do with ioquake3 and quake3 assets, for example: modern version of the quake3 engine, maintained by the community, + non free assets).

And with the engine, you can do cool stuff: see what people do with the quake3 engine (tremulous, urban terror, smokin' guns, world of padman...)

Guys, you are just great! Big GrinBig Grin

There is still a question: does overture, black plague and requiem use strictly the same engine?
05-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Quote:There is still a question: does overture, black plague and requiem use strictly the same engine?
Yes. The engine in the source is the latest and final version of HPL1. The OpenALWrapper included is quite new and actually the same as used in Amnesia!
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Find
Genexi Offline

I'm assuming even after the source it released, that we'll see compatibility patches and the sort released still?
05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Wow, thank you for this Frictional Games! 3D game programming is a bit above my knowledge so it'll be fun to have a look at it and maybe learn something new as well!
05-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Find
Ituran Offline

Registered to say that I cant wait for the release of the source. At the moment there is little alternative in the GPL engines to having good visuals + good physics combo. (there are separate, but none which are combined together).

Having been working on a project of my own required combining physics + renderer written in different languages, and that is simply a pain, I will be looking forward at the options of switching to penumbra engine (maybe give it a different name? Would be nice)
05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Find
Setlec Offline

Threads: 3

(05-12-2010, 11:06 AM)Thomas Wrote: Yes. The engine in the source is the latest and final version of HPL1. The OpenALWrapper included is quite new and actually the same as used in Amnesia!

That sounds really cool! about my previous question your modtools have no linux port of it, right? Can you tell if you, Frictional Games, intend to release a linux version of it someday?
05-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Quote:That sounds really cool! about my previous question your modtools have no linux port of it, right?
Which mod tools do you refer to?
05-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Find
Setlec Offline

Threads: 3

the ones located here http://mod.frictionalgames.com/getting.started.document :

HplHelper.exe
HudObjectEditor.exe
ModelViewer.exe
ParticleEditor.exe
ParticleViewer.exe
SceneViewer.exe
05-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

All will part of the open source package, however: HplHelper.exe and ParticleEditor.exe are in C#, so those would need some serious porting (rewriting more like it) to work with Linux / Mac.

Half-good news is that Amnesia will come with a particle editor that use the same format as HPL1 (penumbra) which will work for linux and mac too! The stuff that HplHelper does are fairly easy to do with text edit.
05-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Find