Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Visual Studio 2010
Ryonez Offline

Threads: 4
Visual Studio 2010

Hi guys,
I currently have Visual Studio 2010 and need help using/importing the HPL1
engine in. If someone has a working 2010 build so I could look though the code and start tweeking that would be great.

Cheers

P.S. I'm also asking after the OALWrapper 2010 build.
05-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Find
devqq Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Visual Studio 2010

I have everything compiled with visual studio 2010, but I warn you. I have a lot of errors and crashes within the program. I am thinking of recompiling with visual studio 2003
05-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Find
Ryonez Offline

I would love to look at a copy of it please.
05-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Find
Benny Offline

Threads: 0

(05-16-2010, 09:53 PM)Ryonez Wrote: I would love to look at a copy of it please.

Did you get the code to compile with less errors using 2003 VS?

Would it be possible to upload this from your git branch etc...?
05-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Find
Ryonez Offline

I don't have 2003, I have 2008 + 2010, both convert it with errors, and I don't have a git branch.
05-17-2010, 05:04 AM
Find
Tzajof Offline

I'm using Visual C++ Express 2010 (assuming there aren't any big differences between that and VS2010, though I will be getting that soon), but I can't get it to compile yet since I'm missing some of the required headers e.g. Newton.h, SDL.h and so on.

The only thing I've done with it is go through and change some safety warnings (sprintf to sprintf_s and _wfopen to _wfopen_s), and I doubt I'd do much more with it anyway since the whole thing is much larger than anything I'm used to.

What sort of problems are you having, if any? Not that I can promise I'll necessarily have many answers.
05-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Find
Ryonez Offline

(05-17-2010, 06:36 AM)Tzajof Wrote: I'm using Visual C++ Express 2010 (assuming there aren't any big differences between that and VS2010, though I will be getting that soon), but I can't get it to compile yet since I'm missing some of the required headers e.g. Newton.h, SDL.h and so on.

The only thing I've done with it is go through and change some safety warnings (sprintf to sprintf_s and _wfopen to _wfopen_s), and I doubt I'd do much more with it anyway since the whole thing is much larger than anything I'm used to.

What sort of problems are you having, if any? Not that I can promise I'll necessarily have many answers.

It is that I don't have any experance apart from hellow world with C++, all my exp is in java.

Here is my conversion log

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='_UpgradeReport_Files/UpgradeReport.xslt'?><UpgradeLog>
<Properties><Property Name="Solution" Value="HPL">
</Property><Property Name="Solution File" Value="X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\HPL.sln">
</Property><Property Name="Date" Value="Tuesday, 18 May 2010">
</Property><Property Name="Time" Value="2:47 a.m.">
</Property></Properties><Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="" Source="HPL.sln" Description="File successfully backed up as X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\HPL.sln.old">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Converting project file 'X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\HPL.vcproj'.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Visual C++ now provides improved safety in its C and C++ Libraries. This includes new and improved functions, additional checking and validation, and internal design changes. These libraries are turned on by default. You may see some warnings about unsafe functions or parameters when you build your project. The warnings will generally suggest an alternative safer coding style or function. It is advised that you correct these warnings, in order to make your code more safe. Full details can be found in the documentation by searching for 'Security Enhancements in the CRT' and for 'Checked Iterators'.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="The C/C++ compiler default settings have been modified to be more compliant with ISO Standard C++. Included in those changes are enforcing Standard C++ for loop scoping and supporting wchar_t as a native type. These changes may cause existing code to no longer compile without changes to the code or the compiler options with which it is built.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Due to the requirement that Visual C++ projects produce an embedded (by default) Windows SxS manifest, manifest files in the project are now automatically built with the Manifest Tool.  You may need to change your build in order for it to work correctly. For instance, it is recommended that the dependency information contained in any manifest files be converted to &quot;#pragma comment(linker,&quot;&lt;insert dependency here&gt;&quot;)&quot; in a header file that is included from your source code.  If your project already embeds a manifest in the RT_MANIFEST resource section through a resource (.rc) file, the line may need to be commented out before the project will build correctly.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Due to a conformance change in the C++ compiler, code change may be required before your project will build without errors.  Previous versions of the C++ compiler allowed specification of member function pointers by member function name (e.g. MemberFunctionName).  The C++ standard requires a fully qualified name with the use of the address-of operator (e.g. &amp;ClassName::MemberFunctionName).  If your project contains forms or controls used in the Windows Forms Designer, you may have to change code in InitializeComponent because the designer generated code used the non-conformant syntax in delegate construction (used in event handlers).">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="This application has been updated to include settings related to the User Account Control (UAC) feature of Windows Vista. By default, when run on Windows Vista with UAC enabled, this application is marked to run with the same privileges as the process that launched it. This marking also disables the application from running with virtualization. You can change UAC related settings from the Property Pages of the project.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Attribute 'Detect64BitPortabilityProblems' of 'VCCLCompilerTool' is not supported in this version and has been removed during conversion.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="VCWebServiceProxyGeneratorTool is no longer supported. The tool has been removed from your project settings.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Attribute 'Detect64BitPortabilityProblems' of 'VCCLCompilerTool' is not supported in this version and has been removed during conversion.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="MSB8012: $(TargetName) ('HPL') does not match the Librarian's OutputFile property value 'lib/HPLd.lib' ('HPLd') in project configuration 'Debug|Win32'. This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(TargetName) property value matches the value specified in %(Lib.OutputFile).">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="MSB8012: $(TargetPath) ('X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\build\Debug\HPL.lib') does not match the Librarian's OutputFile property value 'lib/HPLd.lib' ('X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\lib/HPLd.lib') in project configuration 'Debug|Win32'. This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(TargetPath) property value matches the value specified in %(Lib.OutputFile).">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="1" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="MSB8012: $(TargetPath) ('X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\build\Release\HPL.lib') does not match the Librarian's OutputFile property value 'lib/HPL.lib' ('X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\lib/HPL.lib') in project configuration 'Release|Win32'. This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(TargetPath) property value matches the value specified in %(Lib.OutputFile).">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Done converting to new project file 'X:\Projects\Visual Studio 2010\OvertureSource\HPL1Engine\HPL.vcxproj'.">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="3" Project="HPL" Source="HPL.vcproj" Description="Converted">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="0" Project="" Source="HPL.sln" Description="Solution converted successfully">
</Event><Event ErrorLevel="3" Project="" Source="HPL.sln" Description="Converted">
</Event></UpgradeLog>
05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Find
RobRendell Offline

(05-17-2010, 06:36 AM)Tzajof Wrote: I can't get it to compile yet since I'm missing some of the required headers e.g. Newton.h, SDL.h and so on.

Did you grab dependencies.zip, as outlined in http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3360.html ?

It's here: http://github.com/FrictionalGames/HPL1Engine/downloads
05-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Find
Tzajof Offline

(05-17-2010, 10:51 PM)RobRendell Wrote:
(05-17-2010, 06:36 AM)Tzajof Wrote: I can't get it to compile yet since I'm missing some of the required headers e.g. Newton.h, SDL.h and so on.

Did you grab dependencies.zip, as outlined in http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3360.html ?

It's here: http://github.com/FrictionalGames/HPL1Engine/downloads

Ah, thanks for pointing that out to me. I haven't even looked in the Overture forum yet- in fact all I've done is download the HPL and OALWrapper Source so far. Tongue But I'll download everything else a little later today probably and then maybe I can get it compiling properly (though I can easily imagine other problems potentially coming up.

As for Ryonez, I'm not particularly familiar with Java so I don't know how similar it is to C++ (though from what I've seen I think the syntax is pretty similar). That said though, if you don't know that much C++, trying to take a look at something the size of HPL/Overture mightn't be the best idea, depending on what you're hoping to get out of it. But if you had any particular questions related to the source code or the project overall you could still ask them.
05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Find
multipurpose Offline

Threads: 0

Are you still having problems? I got the project compiling with Visual Studio 2010 fine now. This thread helped a whole lot: thread.
05-18-2010, 03:08 AM
Find