Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Doors
MassacrMan Offline

Threads: 3
Doors

In penumbra it seemed like doors never closed to the point where the latch caught and you would have to twist the knob to open it agian, they would just shut but just swing back open. In the Amnesia teaser trailer it seemed like the doors sounded like they full shut, will this be the case because honestly It's just a minor thing that bothers me as I like to close doors behind me after I open them.
05-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Doors

(05-28-2010, 03:51 AM)MassacrMan Wrote: In penumbra it seemed like doors never closed to the point where the latch caught and you would have to twist the knob to open it agian, they would just shut but just swing back open. In the Amnesia teaser trailer it seemed like the doors sounded like they full shut, will this be the case because honestly It's just a minor thing that bothers me as I like to close doors behind me after I open them.

I know they said it won't matter anymore where you grab on a door, but I don't know how this affects door opening itself.
05-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I can't fully understand the original post, when reading it it sounds as the good and bad is reversed back and forth contradicting itself!

But to explain Amnesia door behaviour:
When you open a door, you can open it to any amount you like, if you just open and drag quickly to throw it open, it will actually stop when fully open instead of bouncing back as in Penumbra. This means that you can with ease quickly open doors and run through them without the risk of the door bouncing back and blocking your path.

When you close a door in Amnesia, when it is in the closed position, the door is "stuck" as soon as you release it. This means that you do not risk closing a door quickly only to have it bounce back into an open state again. To open you only grab it again and move the mouse, just as in Penumbra.

The difference are minor compared to Penumbra, but they do a lot to make using doors easier. You can be chased by a monster in Amnesia and, thanks to the tweaks of the door interaction, you are able to open and close a door to buy some extra time of survival. In Penumbra this was very difficult and the idea of escaping into a room when chased often resulted in a death instead.
05-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Website Find
MassacrMan Offline

Sorry for the confusion but your answer is what I was looking for, I just found the bouncing part annoying. Thanks for the reply!
05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Find
Cheesezorz Offline

Threads: 2

(05-28-2010, 06:20 AM)jens Wrote: snip

Can you run into a room and barricade yourself in it to keep monsters from getting in completely? Or is it always just a matter of time until the monsters get in and you have to find a way to hide, like the closet in the trailer?

I wouldn't really want to barricade myself into a storage with no hiding spots when a monster is breaking in.

Also, can the player prevent a door getting opened by a monster by "holding" it?
06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Find
MassacrMan Offline

(06-02-2010, 08:50 AM)Cheesezorz Wrote:
(05-28-2010, 06:20 AM)jens Wrote: snip

Can you run into a room and barricade yourself in it to keep monsters from getting in completely? Or is it always just a matter of time until the monsters get in and you have to find a way to hide, like the closet in the trailer?

I wouldn't really want to barricade myself into a storage with no hiding spots when a monster is breaking in.

Also, can the player prevent a door getting opened by a monster by "holding" it?

I would assume with just a table holding it back it would bust it down, but maybe with some heavier material the door could hold, let's wait for a Developer to reply to see. Smile
06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Find
PrinceCola Offline

Threads: 8

(05-28-2010, 06:20 AM)jens Wrote: I can't fully understand the original post, when reading it it sounds as the good and bad is reversed back and forth contradicting itself!

But to explain Amnesia door behaviour:
When you open a door, you can open it to any amount you like, if you just open and drag quickly to throw it open, it will actually stop when fully open instead of bouncing back as in Penumbra. This means that you can with ease quickly open doors and run through them without the risk of the door bouncing back and blocking your path.

When you close a door in Amnesia, when it is in the closed position, the door is "stuck" as soon as you release it. This means that you do not risk closing a door quickly only to have it bounce back into an open state again. To open you only grab it again and move the mouse, just as in Penumbra.

The difference are minor compared to Penumbra, but they do a lot to make using doors easier. You can be chased by a monster in Amnesia and, thanks to the tweaks of the door interaction, you are able to open and close a door to buy some extra time of survival. In Penumbra this was very difficult and the idea of escaping into a room when chased often resulted in a death instead.

Good to know. Door`s is important to us
Big Grin
06-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Find
alfie Offline

What I think the OP was saying is, if you close the door, will it stay closed instead of just swinging freely.
06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Find
MassacrMan Offline

(06-02-2010, 10:56 PM)alfie Wrote: What I think the OP was saying is, if you close the door, will it stay closed instead of just swinging freely.

Exactly.
06-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Find