Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Something To Pass The Time
RoyaleBeast Offline

Threads: 16
Something To Pass The Time

Well I was browsing youtube and found a game call darkness within 2. I tried the first games demo and it sucked so bad it wasn't even funny.

Biggest problem was the enviroments werent even 3d and u couldn't move. But then i tried the second game's demo.

So far im really enjoying it even though i haven't gotten past the first 2 rooms. reason being its 12 at night and unlike penumbra this game is dark. Penumbras darkness still lets you see things. This ones just fucking destroys your sight.

While over all penumbra is still a better game. Its keeping my interests so far. we'll see if itll make it to my completed games list

EDIT: THEY WANT 30 BUCKS FOR THIS. NO WAY IN HELL, PENUMBRAS FUCKING 20 FOR ALL 3, LOST MAJOR POINTS IN VALUE DEPARTMENT. I may try COUGHtCOUGHoCOUGHrrCOUGHenCOUGHts............
06-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Find
ROT51 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Something To Pass The Time

Quote:EDIT: THEY WANT 30 BUCKS FOR THIS. NO WAY IN HELL, PENUMBRAS FUCKING 20 FOR ALL 3, LOST MAJOR POINTS IN VALUE DEPARTMENT. I may try COUGHtCOUGHoCOUGHrrCOUGHenCOUGHts............

Well.. that's quite X-pensive. Sounds interesting, but if the price is that high, i'm not gonna bother myself to buy that game. Penumbra serie is much more worth to buy, i agree.
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

So, the Darkness Within 2 ain't point and click game like the first?
I saw a trailer of the second game and it looked kinda interesting to me... However, I remember that the first game was point-and-click when I checked some videos on YouTube and I'm not fan of those games.

If Darkness Within 2 is 3D based first person game like Penumbra (at least trailer gave me reasons to believe it is?), I might even check out more of it.

(06-01-2010, 04:15 AM)RoyaleBeast Wrote: THEY WANT 30 BUCKS FOR THIS. NO WAY IN HELL, PENUMBRAS FUCKING 20 FOR ALL 3, LOST MAJOR POINTS IN VALUE DEPARTMENT. I may try COUGHtCOUGHoCOUGHrrCOUGHenCOUGHts............

Keep in mind that Penumbra: Overture is 3 years old game already and Darkness Within 2 has just been released in last month.
Penumbra: Overture and Black Plague were both 30€ when they were new.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM by Yuhaney.)
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Website Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I recommend checking it out, there are not that many games of this sort so at least worth trying the demo. DW2 is is 3D based and free moving unlike the first game, so they really moved things forward in that department!

Overture and Black Plague was 20 USD + VAT if applicable on their release, so if there was some place selling it for 30 euro that would be an exception and not the recommended price.
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(06-01-2010, 01:41 PM)jens Wrote: Overture and Black Plague was 20 USD + VAT if applicable on their release, so if there was some place selling it for 30 euro that would be an exception and not the recommended price.

I paid 30€ per game (box) + 10€ for Requiem (download).
I don't think that I paid too much of them...

But I'll check out Darkness Within 2!

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM by Yuhaney.)
06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I saw a few trailers for both games and they looked interesting but not scary at all. One bone I'd like to pick in particular is the fact that the horror in the first game (found in a video depicting "scary gameplay") was lights turning on and off, a person appearing in front of player, the lights turning off again, and the most ridiculous scream I've ever heard so much that it was actually funny.

I also read that the puzzle solving is cumbersome. I heard that it involved some pixel hunting and that even if you come up with a solution to a puzzle you still have to go through various steps in a clue-finding mechanism.

Also, the writing in the trailers is sloppy.

However, I'm downloading the demo right now. Maybe it will be sexy.

EDIT: Holy porcupine baculums Batman! This game sure is unintuitive in its puzzle techniques and boring in its atmosphere!
Seriously, pixel. fucking. hunting.

The game starts with me in an abandoned house and gives the spiel about walking around in a small tutorial box. I do so. After I enter a different room it tells me to pick up the lantern. However, it meant to tell me that in the first room because the two lanterns in the room I am currently in are not interactable, but there is one in the starting room I later find out I can pick up. Before this, however, I enter a room looking for my lantern and enter a scripted event in which I pull out my FORMERLY NONEXISTENT LANTERN and creep into a room with a dead guy. Considering I never got a lantern and it feels like a bug (It is.) I restart the level and notice the actually interactable lantern is hiding in a dark corner.

So I have a door handle, a flashlight, a lantern, and a picture that I put together with tape. However, I have no clue as to how to advance. Best of all, the item examination feature in my inventory is not working. I was unable to look at the picture after I actually picked it up in order to DISCERN SOME CLUES.

There is also a long diary of someone describing his friends getting eaten by insects and it may have something to do with the plot but it's incredibly poorly written and uninteresting. No information such as a secret code is given. The last entry says that the noises they're making are actually Morse code but nothing is written down and all the ambient sounds being played are definitely not Morse code.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
06-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Website Find
RoyaleBeast Offline

first darkness was very slow puzzles with the point and click, the rooms without music are scary, the second is fun as well but buggy as fuck. i moved a table and it slide into a bed and got stuck XD
06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

MW2 is indeed a buggy game, from the few minutes of the demo version I played. I was standing in one of the rooms, and decided to open the options panel to tweak some of the detail settings. I did so, and when I returned to the game I ended up falling through the floor, and landed conveniently in a lower section of the level, in a series of caves.

Plus, the game just runs really frikkin' slow for me, for whatever reason. Not to mention that the controls and physics manipulation just seem a little bit TOO cumbersome. I'm gonna hold off on MW2, at least for now.

EDIT: Whoops, I mean DW2, not MW2. Don't know why the hell I did that.

06-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Find
RoyaleBeast Offline

(06-01-2010, 10:57 PM)graykin Wrote: MW2 is indeed a buggy game, from the few minutes of the demo version I played. I was standing in one of the rooms, and decided to open the options panel to tweak some of the detail settings. I did so, and when I returned to the game I ended up falling through the floor, and landed conveniently in a lower section of the level, in a series of caves.

Plus, the game just runs really frikkin' slow for me, for whatever reason. Not to mention that the controls and physics manipulation just seem a little bit TOO cumbersome. I'm gonna hold off on MW2, at least for now.

mw2?
06-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Find