Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Use hardware sound option
Caterpillar Offline

Threads: 27
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Use hardware sound option

I have a question: even if I have one of the best supported and best quality audio cards I am not able to select the "use hardware" option. The card is an Asus Xonar Essence ST.
The sound is working perfectly, I wanted just to know why when I reboot the game I find the option deactivated.

I play with headphones or the stereo of my room, not surround.
06-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Use hardware sound option

There is no hardware support ON linux (nor Mac) this is an issue with the available Open AL libraries.. At one point there was some hardware support on the SoundBlaster Live cards on the OLDER creative Open AL library but that has long since worked...

So, unfortunately no "hardware" and no EFX effects for the time being until the libraries catch up, or audio hardware vendors provide their own "accelerated" OpenAL library implementations.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Website Find
Caterpillar Offline

Threads: 27

Frictionalgames should remind to the openal developers or hardware developers to do that work. Normal users will not be listened to, a game software house instead will be listened to a bit more
06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Find
DigitalPioneer
Unregistered

(06-08-2010, 02:30 PM)Caterpillar Wrote: Frictionalgames should remind to the openal developers or hardware developers to do that work. Normal users will not be listened to, a game software house instead will be listened to a bit more

Ahh, but to the contrary, it's open source. They may listen, or may not, to anyone. What you can count on, however, is that they will happily accept patches and new features in code. Tongue
06-11-2010, 06:54 PM