Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia:The Dark Descent "Daniel's Journal - Algeria 3/3" black screen
DARIUSH2001 Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia:The Dark Descent "Daniel's Journal - Algeria 3/3" black screen

Hi! I've bought Amnesia:TDD from Steam and started playing. As my PC is pretty old with Intel® HD Graphics, I turned off all graphic settings and put a low resolution. The game runs pretty good and it's playable until a point where I grab the 3rd part of Daniel's journal. After Daniel says that he sees a blue shimmer... well, I don't see it. My gamma is 1 (default) and I can't even see the path to the orb. When I press "w" to go forward nothing happens. I re-installed the game, ran it as an administrator but no luck. Here's the .log (That "CLS6_SEM" should be "My Documents"... I did something two years ago by pressing ALT or something and changed the names of multiple files in "CLS6_SEM" (the name of a folder located on desktop) and though I've renamed it My Documents, my laptop still recognizes it as "CLS6_SEM". I know it's off-topic but is there a way to fix this too?) I appreciate any help you can provide!

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 7.68 KB / Downloads: 108)

Bad or missing keyboard. Press F1 to continue.
01-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Find
DARIUSH2001 Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia:The Dark Descent "Daniel's Journal - Algeria 3/3" black screen

All right. It seems nobody knows how to solve this problem, so I tried again. I uninstalled the game from Steam. I deleted Amnesia folder from My Documents. I disabled Avast. Then, I installed the game. I disabled Steam Overlay. I checked Run as an administrator Amnesia.exe and launched the Settings Launcher. I changed the resolution, textures to low, turned off SSAO, blah blah, then ran the game and made a new profile. Finally, I started a new game and played until that point. Again, Daniel falls to the ground, says that he saw a blue shimmer. And again, nothing. I can't move nor jump, use the lantern... I can't do anything. I can just hear the sounds of the Archive Room where I was. Though, I saw many 'WARNING' and 'ERROR' in my hpl.log. Nothing about those? Here's the new hpl.log. I'd really appreciate a reply so at least I know to continue the game without reading that part of the journal.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 47.35 KB / Downloads: 99)

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 08:43 PM by DARIUSH2001.)
01-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia:The Dark Descent "Daniel's Journal - Algeria 3/3" black screen

Firstly, you do not need to pick up that journal entry. It is merely backstory and unnecessary for progression. There is only one more event like that where you are "removed" from the castle, but that one should be okay.

The thing is, I look at your log, and I cannot find anything relating directly to not being able to see the blue light. It is a particle system, but the specific one isn't appearing to be erroring or missing according to the log.

Your Intel HD card may be the problem, since it's using OpenGL 2.1.0 which is the exact minimum required to run Amnesia, therefore you're likely to face some issues. If there are any driver updates, I urge you to grab them. You can find details on how to update your drivers under Step 3 here: https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-24129.html

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
01-03-2016, 03:31 AM
Find
DARIUSH2001 Offline

It seems Intel has made a tool for updating drivers. Very useful, but it says that my graphics driver is already updated, so no problem here. It seems the game is fine. Except that little buggy flashback. Alright, I'll play the game until the end without that part of the journal. Oh, and off-topic, which Nvidia GTX series handles the best Amnesia? 600 series should be fine?
EDIT:Alright, forget about the off-topic thing. Problem solved!

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016, 02:20 PM by DARIUSH2001.)
01-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Sorry about the errors you're facing. If you come across any more, I'll leave the topic open in case they arise, since you're likely to face others given your Intel card. Essentially however, you should be able to progress from start to finish without any major game breaking moments which are unpreventable.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
01-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Find
DARIUSH2001 Offline

No problem! I still enjoy the game. I'll let you know if there are any more problems and see if we can resolve them.

01-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Find
DARIUSH2001 Offline

Sorry for double post but I found out something very strange. So, I uninstalled the game once again, I deleted the "Amnesia" folder from "My Documents", I reinstalled the game and did a "File Integrity Check" on Steam. I started the Settings Launcher as an Administrator, I did the set-up and started the game. I played normally until the Archives part. There, I took the 1st part of the journal, and I forgot to take the 2nd part. I got to the part with the collapsing boulders and saved right before taking the 3rd (actually 2nd) part of the journal. When I took it, I was surprised that it wasn't the 3rd part but the 2nd one. Meh, ok. I continued to play, got the key, screamed like a girl when the monster appeared twice... God... Aaaand decided to get the 3rd part. I searched for it and finally found it. I saved before picking it, prayed to God, and guess what? The blue shimmer APPEARED! I could finally get out of archives with everything I need. Well... it seems I had to take the pages in a different order... or something like that. For now, everything is ok. The problem is solved! Smile

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016, 08:42 PM by DARIUSH2001.)
01-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I know it's not the order that is the issue (unless something changed in the last patch), but I'm curious what really was the cause. Welp.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016, 09:45 PM by Mudbill.)
01-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.