Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

what changes would you like to see?
keen Offline

Threads: 3
what changes would you like to see?

Hi everyone!

I was just curious as to what features/changes everyone would like to see now that the source has been released.

I tested out the mod by qpfiffer, that made the flashlight able to kill dogs. I really liked that idea, although in a real game I'm not sure i would actually want it implemented. But, it was a nice idea to try out, and i learned a lot. I even made it work "better" on my version so it kills dogs even when they are attacking or hunting you.

I've never used github before, so that was fun getting my first fork and changes uploaded. Smile http://github.com/FrictionalGames

I myself would personally like to see the following things done eventually:

1. Batteries can be stored in inventory and don't have to be used right away. [-partially done by me already]
2. I would like to have a equip-able lantern instead of the flashlight or glowstick.
3. It would be fun to do some remake of old IF adventure games like Zork I with the famous white house and mailbox.
4. ...hmmm.. can't think of anymore at the moment. But, can't wait to hear what other people are dreaming about.

EDIT: okay, yeah. #4. would be to make it so the jerky/meat actually works better.
08-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: what changes would you like to see?

Removing the ability to kill the dogs would be nice, removing flares and the glowstick would be cool too. Just things to make it more pants-crappingly scary and difficult. Big Grin
08-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Remove all cheap ways of killing the dogs. For example, make the dogs jump higher so you can't hide on top of a box.
08-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Find
JKO Offline

Threads: 2

I want an in-game console. That is all I want right now, but I can't figure out how to draw it on screen yet...
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Soft shadows.

I was about to suggest that someone examines how the engine handles levels and shit in order to be able to make editors, but that would be redundant, since HPL2 will be so much better anyway.

I second the idea about having a console. So long as there are useful diagnostic commands such as "give all" and "noclip."

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
08-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

(08-11-2010, 12:55 AM)Lee Wrote: Soft shadows.

I was about to suggest that someone examines how the engine handles levels and shit in order to be able to make editors, but that would be redundant, since HPL2 will be so much better anyway.

I second the idea about having a console. So long as there are useful diagnostic commands such as "give all" and "noclip."

And "idkfa" Tongue
08-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Find
JKO Offline

For the console I've been thinking of having those commands you mentioned, noclip, give <item>, etc, but also many commands that would help modders, map <mapname>, ai commands (like disable, ignore player), and whatever else is useful.
08-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Find
keen Offline

Threads: 3

Removing the ability to kill dogs completely should be easy. Just modify the souce so instead of STATE_DEAD change it to STATE_KNOCKDOWN or STATE_FLEE.

I actually dont think dogs can jump at all. But, they can run far enough to bite you when they run off those cement bags in the mine. You probably could borrow some jumping code from the spiders. I hated the spiders the most because of the simple fact they could jump.

If anyone does make it so you cant kill the dogs easily, i would ask that you add more bottles around the mine, and make it so you can throw them a little further. It was fun throwing bottles around to distract the dogs. Also, someone should improve how the jerky attracts the dogs. I was very disappointed when i tried killing them in the steam rooms. I couldn't get them to eat the jerky that often. So, i resorted to killing them. It took something away from the experience.

Maybe have it so the dogs eat the meat automatically if they find it in front of them. And make it so it takes priority over hunting the player. Yes, that would improver the game a ton!
08-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Find
wally Offline

(08-12-2010, 02:18 AM)keen Wrote: Removing the ability to kill dogs completely should be easy. Just modify the souce so instead of STATE_DEAD change it to STATE_KNOCKDOWN or STATE_FLEE.

I actually dont think dogs can jump at all. But, they can run far enough to bite you when they run off those cement bags in the mine. You probably could borrow some jumping code from the spiders. I hated the spiders the most because of the simple fact they could jump.

If anyone does make it so you cant kill the dogs easily, i would ask that you add more bottles around the mine, and make it so you can throw them a little further. It was fun throwing bottles around to distract the dogs. Also, someone should improve how the jerky attracts the dogs. I was very disappointed when i tried killing them in the steam rooms. I couldn't get them to eat the jerky that often. So, i resorted to killing them. It took something away from the experience.

Maybe have it so the dogs eat the meat automatically if they find it in front of them. And make it so it takes priority over hunting the player. Yes, that would improver the game a ton!

I've decided I need something to do, so I'm adding an "Insane" difficulty to the game. Check it out here. Criticisms welcome.

The list of changes so far:
* No health regen at all
* Dogs are a lot tougher, I forget the specifics.
* Player cannot use the glowstick.
* Ported the spider code over to the dogs, so they jump/knock you over.
08-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

(08-14-2010, 04:24 AM)wally Wrote: I've decided I need something to do, so I'm adding an "Insane" difficulty to the game. Check it out here. Criticisms welcome.

The list of changes so far:
* No health regen at all
* Dogs are a lot tougher, I forget the specifics.
* Player cannot use the glowstick.
* Ported the spider code over to the dogs, so they jump/knock you over.

Sounds cool, can you also make it so that enemies will teleport with you when you go through doors if they're chasing you? Big Grin
08-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Find