Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Nightmare House 2
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Nightmare House 2

(08-31-2010, 07:53 PM)Akong Wrote: Am I the only one who considers random 'freaky' stuff happening more silly, than scary?

That's why Condemned ultimately failed me. There were so many supernatural things going on and no explanation at all.

You're not the only one.

I played Nightmare House 2, and I thought it was a very well-made modification for a game. However, the "random" freaky stuff got less and less random, considering there was practically ALWAYS something random and freaky happening. Not to mention that every other side-room you enter locks itself, to allow the girl to flash in front of you YET AGAIN, whispering something incoherent. It became not-random very quick, and very irksome.

Also, I noticed a lot of inspiration from other games in this. The biggest one is definitely FEAR, but who else thought that the "creepy zombies" looked sorta like the Hunter?

08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

There were sounds from Penumbra here and there, so I wouldn't doubt that the Hunter had some role in the enemy design.

Yeah, the horror did get stale after a while. The beginning was simply great, especially
Spoiler below!
that metal corridor that closed in on me. I kept going from one end of the corridor to the other, facing the wall, ho hum, ho hum, whatever. Until the hallway was so small that I forgot what to do. I started moving my mouse randomly until I looked up and BAM.
It's great when it has subtlety. Things with the girl running across the hall in front of you doesn't get to me. Screamers don't get to me. The little, almost unintentional things do.

Also, Condemned sucks in nearly every way.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
08-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Website Find
Dr Bob Offline

Threads: 0

(08-28-2010, 10:48 PM)Klayman Wrote: A new mod for Half-Life 2: Episode 2 was released not long ago. It is called Nightmare House 2 (http://nh2.wecreatestuff.com/ ). I just finished playing this mod and in my opinion it is better as horror game than Penumbra Overture or Black Plague and this is why:
-More and better encounters
-More kinds of enemies
-More enemies in levels
-Much less loading screens
-More "WTF???" moments

I think Frictional Games did a great job in making a great horror game but I think they should try out this mod for inspiration sometime. I believe you can find some references in that mod related to Penumbra.

I would like to know what do you guys think about this mod?

A better horror game than Penumbra?

If you are scared by Nightmare House 2, then you will probably be scared by games like F.E.A.R. - action-oriented games with elements of horror.

In my opinion, Nightmare House 2 wasn't scary at all and the horror attempts were usually laughably copied from games like F.E.A.R.

If Frictional Games ever play this mod for inspiration, I will stop buying their games. Period.

About this:

(08-28-2010, 10:48 PM)Klayman Wrote: -More and better encounters
-More kinds of enemies
-More enemies in levels
-More "WTF???" moments

You don't really go into detail about the encounters bit, so I can't really comment on this. But if you mean encounters with that plastic-looking dead girl, then I really do disagree with you.

More kinds of enemies usually means less variation in the way they attack and behave. And this is true for Nightmare House 2.

More enemies in levels means more slow-moving zombies shuffling towards you as you casually blast them in the face. Horror.

There are less loading screens purely because of the different engine architectures.

I'm not even going to comment on the last point.
09-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Find
Klayman Offline

Threads: 14

(09-03-2010, 08:46 PM)Dr Bob Wrote: A better horror game than Penumbra?

If you are scared by Nightmare House 2, then you will probably be scared by games like F.E.A.R. - action-oriented games with elements of horror.

In my opinion, Nightmare House 2 wasn't scary at all and the horror attempts were usually laughably copied from games like F.E.A.R.

If Frictional Games ever play this mod for inspiration, I will stop buying their games. Period.

No. I enjoyed this mod more than Penumbra. What is wrong with this?

I played F.E.A.R. for one hour and I liked those horror elements but I had some trouble with combat.

Maybe those horror elements were copied from F.E.A.R but I never completed that game so most of those events were new to me.

I don't want Frictional games to make a horror game that is combat oriented. I meant other things like...
Spoiler below!
those figures that were following you or rooms that were changing its size and exits (like once in Penumbra: BP).

(09-03-2010, 08:46 PM)Dr Bob Wrote: You don't really go into detail about the encounters bit, so I can't really comment on this. But if you mean encounters with that plastic-looking dead girl, then I really do disagree with you.

More kinds of enemies usually means less variation in the way they attack and behave. And this is true for Nightmare House 2.

More enemies in levels means more slow-moving zombies shuffling towards you as you casually blast them in the face. Horror.

There are less loading screens purely because of the different engine architectures.

I'm not even going to comment on the last point.

Encounters with that little girl was too much F.E.A.R. like I agree on that. I did not found that very scary too.
Spoiler below!
But i liked the first non-combat encounter with that creepy fast zombie which looks like a Hunter from Penumbra (Tech demo). That was in my opinion very scary when I found my self in a huge dark metal room with your flashlight running out and you know that somewhere around you is something you don't know how and when it is gonna attack.

I did not found those regular encounters with slow zombies very scary. Those fast bastards were much better Smile

(09-03-2010, 08:46 PM)Dr Bob Wrote: There are less loading screens purely because of the different engine architectures.
True.

"-More "WTF???" moments"
I wanted to say with this that in NH2 were more events that surprised me.

I am sorry if I did not write something clearly. I don't speak English very well.
09-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Find
311alien Offline

Threads: 7

(08-28-2010, 10:48 PM)Klayman Wrote: A new mod for Half-Life 2: Episode 2 was released not long ago. It is called Nightmare House 2 (http://nh2.wecreatestuff.com/ ). I just finished playing this mod and in my opinion it is better as horror game than Penumbra Overture or Black Plague and this is why:
-More and better encounters
-More kinds of enemies
-More enemies in levels
-More "WTF???" moments

I think Frictional Games did a great job in making a great horror game but I think they should try out this mod for inspiration sometime. I believe you can find some references in that mod related to Penumbra.

I would like to know what do you guys think about this mod?

I downloaded this and played for a bit...It was pretty much Half Life 2 with FEAR components. I love the source engine and had many hours of fun playing Day of Defeat, counter strike, HL and HL2. But to compare this game with Penumbra Overture or Black Plague is just wrong. That's just my 2cents...Have fun playing Half-Fear =)
09-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Find
zlandael Offline

Threads: 1

I loved this mod since it had a huge load of easter eggs.
Spoiler below!
  • The huge board in the basement holds concept art, and something that will make you lose.
  • In the basement, if you no clip through the bathroom (white door) you'll see a funny Romero animation.
  • After the chopper crashes, if you pick up the small flashlight thing, bring it to the first floor, and go behind the main desk. Open the door, go left, your flashlight will turn off. With the smaller flashlight held, you'll get to see the announcer next to the chair....in another form.

09-27-2010, 03:56 AM
Find