Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blog: "Why I hate 'Cinematic'"
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Blog: "Why I hate 'Cinematic'"

Why I feel using the word "cinematic" is a bad thing.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2010...matic.html
08-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Find
PrinceCola Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Blog: "Why I hate 'Cinematic'"

Just read it. Great. Got some very good points in there. And will there be one more blog before Amnesia is realased? I like reading these
08-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Yeah, there will be more time for blogging now I hope! Smile Got some half-written articles I have time to finish up now!
08-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I really agree that cinematic isn't a good thing for video games. Most of the time it detracts from gameplay and interactivity. A good example of cinematic quality not interfering with the game is the second Riddick game. It doesn't interfere with any gameplay. No action that you wish you could be a part of takes place during cinematics. They're used for not much more than introducing characters and telling you where to go, but it does that amazingly.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, bleh. I don't dare try bullshit like Heavy Rain or MGS4.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
08-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Website Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

I was just playing Mafia 2, and they constantly interrupt you short cutscenes during missions. It's annoying! It just brings me out of the moment. And the story isn't very good anyway...
08-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

I really prefer "cutscenes" that are interactive, I hate being pulled out of my character. Angry
08-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

"Cinematic" is just a trendy word they slap on the game nowadays, whether or not the game actually is cinematic. Like "cover systems" which all games need to have these days.

Face it, it just a symptom of the fact that games are made for casual gamers nowadays, i.e. to sell as many units as possible and not for the hardcore gamer. Games are made to be easier, more linear and less complex.

But then again, just because a game is "cinematic" doesn´t make it into a bad game necessarily.
09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Find