Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Amnesia The Dark Descent Demo problem
Razi Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia The Dark Descent Demo problem

On linux I gave: "Segmentation Fault" (I'm using newest open Radeon drivers)
On windows this same problem like others...

I think it's a problem with Frame Buffer, and Resolution. Why? On linux "Segmentation Fault" mean "undefinied memory at this address", or "out of table" (i don't know how to explain it in englishSad, trying to get value that pointer points to, but memory at this address were not reserved). So on linux it's giving that error, but on windows game engine tilling that in pre-menu.
So if there were no crash during opening in-game menu/inventory/journal, the interface should be tilled too.

But why it's only on X-series? Maybe drivers: ATI stopped support for older cards more than year ago. Newer drivers (ex. 10-2) for older card's haven't any new features, just small fixes.
In-game textures looks good on models.

Please check code, where game engine creates framebuffers and draws them.

I noticed that the textures for example startup_fg_logo.jpg haven't 2-power sizes. This file has 1024x768. When I resized it to 1024x1024 there were no tilling. I will check on linux, if that resolve "Segmentation Fault" problem. If it will, this can be the reason of crash. Older cards (or drivers) can have problem with unsquared textures. I had similar problem with my game.

Can someone with HD-series card try ex. 9.01 drivers?

Sorry for my english
09-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Find
Daniel9DJ Offline

I'm having the same problem with Amnesia as everyone else here does. I have Radeon X1950 Pro if anyone is wondering. Thomas and everyone at Frictional Games, please hurry up and fix the problem. I've finished the first Penumbra, it was awesome and Amnesia looks even better, I also prefer it's style then Penumbra's and I can't wait to play it.
09-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Find
Vince Offline

(09-11-2010, 04:55 PM)Razi Wrote: On linux I gave: "Segmentation Fault" (I'm using newest open Radeon drivers)
On windows this same problem like others...

I think it's a problem with Frame Buffer, and Resolution. Why? On linux "Segmentation Fault" mean "undefinied memory at this address", or "out of table" (i don't know how to explain it in englishSad, trying to get value that pointer points to, but memory at this address were not reserved).
Those segfaults sound mostly like using GL extensions that are not supported by the card/driver (thus returning NULL) - because you have to fetch their address first.

(09-11-2010, 04:55 PM)Razi Wrote: I noticed that the textures for example startup_fg_logo.jpg haven't 2-power sizes. This file has 1024x768. When I resized it to 1024x1024 there were no tilling. I will check on linux, if that resolve "Segmentation Fault" problem. If it will, this can be the reason of crash. Older cards (or drivers) can have problem with unsquared textures. I had similar problem with my game.
ATI cards have SERIOUS problems with non-power-of-two textures, I had problems with that myself at my university (half of the PCs in the pool had ATI cards, half had NVidia, we were programming GL). It can bring the machine down to a crawl. Maybe that's the problem under win?
09-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Find
symphonicon Offline

so, what the progress? when can i play this game with my x1300
09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Find
Loudman Offline

An update for the game downloaded for steam last night and I thought it was to fix this problem (which I also have, Can't access any menus or read notes) but it wasn't. I hope this get's fixed soon. I have an ATI radeon x1300-X1550.
09-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Find
Daniel9DJ Offline

Thomas, you told us that you will look into finding a fix this week and this week is already over. I'm sorry I'm being so annoying about asking you to hurry up and fixing the problem but I REALLY can't wait any longer to play your and your teams awesome game. Please Frictional games fix our problem and let as experience the ultimate horror, action, adventure and excitement of your game.
-Fan of all Your games
Daniel9DJ
09-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

The issues seems to be fixed, there is an updated demo released that so far has been reported to be working. The full game will get an update next week, as we are fixing more issues and want to release all in a single patch.
09-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Website Find
Marius Offline

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.
09-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Find
PissedOffUser Offline

Threads: 2

(09-18-2010, 02:11 PM)jens Wrote: The issues seems to be fixed, there is an updated demo released that so far has been reported to be working. The full game will get an update next week, as we are fixing more issues and want to release all in a single patch.

No, the issues have NOT been fixed! The Upside/Down problem is still there, its NO difference!
09-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Find
Audon Offline

Why not just release a patch which fixes our problem to begin with? i mean, ive been stuck with a game i cant play for weeks, because it freezes everytime i try to open up a menu, and as far as i can tell.. Everyone else has the same problem.

Is there anyway to use some of the files from the fixed Demo to fix the full game ?

EDIT: Just tried the so called fixed demo, and its NOT fixed. The game still freezes when you try to open up any menus.. I give up. Asking steam to get my money back
09-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Find